LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

The schedule has a two game exhibition set with Laurentian week 1 then a two game set with the NTDP during Thanksgiving. Only one game from each series can be exempted. The two games that would count, plus 36 regular season games, minus the two game Alaska exemption is still 36.

I checked out of curiousity and Laurentian has both games on their schedule as well, so it isn't just a matter of someome making an assumption they shouldn't have when posting the schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      The schedule has a two game exhibition set with Laurentian week 1 then a two game set with the NTDP during Thanksgiving. Only one game from each series can be exempted. The two games that would count, plus 36 regular season games, minus the two game Alaska exemption is still 36.

I checked out of curiousity and Laurentian has both games on their schedule as well, so it isn't just a matter of someome making an assumption they shouldn't have when posting the schedule.
      You're only allowed two exhibitions against non-NCAA D-1 teams. They don't count against your game count.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        You're only allowed two exhibitions against non-NCAA D-1 teams. They don't count against your game count.
        More specifically, you're only allowed one exhibition against a foreign team (usually a Canadian college, sometimes the Russian Red Stars), one against the US Olympic team (not likely since they started sending pros), and one against any other USA Hockey national team.

It's not outside of the realm to get special permission for a two-game series to be exempt, as that's something Alabama Huntsville gained when they were independent and playing a lot of club teams; I assume the justification was the travel, though; something that isn't exactly that tough between Detroit/Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          It's not outside of the realm to get special permission for a two-game series to be exempt, as that's something Alabama Huntsville gained when they were independent and playing a lot of club teams; I assume the justification was the travel, though; something that isn't exactly that tough between Detroit/Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.
          We've gotten those from time to time over the years for the same travel justification. The practice largely ended with Doug Ross, though.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            We've gotten those from time to time over the years for the same travel justification. The practice largely ended with Doug Ross, though.

GFM
            Yeah. I think there is some type of exemption where you can play more than the normal number of exhibition games once every so many years, You can't do it every year. Back in the 2010-11 season, the Lakers opened the season with an exhibition game against a Canadian university team, then played a series of 5 more exhibition games (all on the road) against Canadian universities over the Christmas holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
              Doug Halowa's contract wasn't renewed.
              Wow. I thought he was very well liked . Did Damon see this as an opportunity to get an old friend a coaching job ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                Wow. I thought he was very well liked . Did Damon see this as an opportunity to get an old friend a coaching job ?
                I doubt that it was the reason why they got rid of Doug.

And I mean, there are some rumors as to why he wasn't renewed, it is a small town after all, and I don't care much for spreading those around.

Now, do I think Damon knew York was looking for a more permanent gig at this level? Sure. But I think that if they got rid of Doug to make room for York, then I think the hire would've been a lot sooner than it was.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Yeah. I think there is some type of exemption where you can play more than the normal number of exhibition games once every so many years, You can't do it every year. Back in the 2010-11 season, the Lakers opened the season with an exhibition game against a Canadian university team, then played a series of 5 more exhibition games (all on the road) against Canadian universities over the Christmas holidays.
                  That specifically is the International Tour exemption, which is something you may do anytime outside the regular season (or during Christmas) once every 4+ years. This is something completely different.

Comment

Looks like Jim Roll is going to play for Niagara this coming season. Since he's an LSSU graduate, I think he can play right away there as he uses his last year of eligibility. And that's right in his home territory.

Comment

Looks like Jim Roll is going to play for Niagara this coming season. Since he's an LSSU graduate, I think he can play right away there as he uses his last year of eligibility. And that's right in his home territory.
                      Eh. We knew he wasn't going to be back, though I am surprised that a team brought him in with only the one year left instead of bringing in a young guy, though I have to say, I know nothing about Niagra's program.
                      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                        Eh. We knew he wasn't going to be back, though I am surprised that a team brought him in with only the one year left instead of bringing in a young guy, though I have to say, I know nothing about Niagra's program.
                        They probably needed help and he's from the Buffalo area and he has a year of eligibility left. We're seeing a little more of this in recent years. A kid graduates from one school having used only 3 years of his eligibility, then goes on to play one more season of college hockey elsewhere, and he doesn't have to sit out a year.

Comment

They probably needed help and he's from the Buffalo area and he has a year of eligibility left. We're seeing a little more of this in recent years. A kid graduates from one school having used only 3 years of his eligibility, then goes on to play one more season of college hockey elsewhere, and he doesn't have to sit out a year.
                          ... if his final school offers a graduate degree program that his previous school did not.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

... if his final school offers a graduate degree program that his previous school did not.

GFM
                            I thought going to a graduate school was a completely separate application process, even if it's the same school? Or does it vary from place to place?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              I thought going to a graduate school was a completely separate application process, even if it's the same school? Or does it vary from place to place?
                              Some universities have a streamlined graduate school application process (UAH does, mainly for engineering students who're going to stay in-discipline and full-time after they finish their BSE), but as I understand it, student-athletes are allowed to pursue that fifth year elsewhere if their desired program isn't at their first school.

FWIW, Nathan Bowen (UAH '99) was a graduate student for his final year of eligibility.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                                Thanks Geof. I knew there was some other condition involved but wasn't sure what it was off the top of my head.

Comment

Working...
                                X