LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

There is a post on the NMU thread indicating that Walk Kyle is out as NMU coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      There is a post on the NMU thread indicating that Walk Kyle is out as NMU coach.
      The link: http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...20170310h9hmpu
      Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Not too surprising. NMU probably held on to Kyle a couple years too long similar to the Lakers holding on to Roque a little too long.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

So BG knocks off Bemidji 2 games to 0 at Bemidji. The Beavers have great defense and goaltending but their lack of offense finally did them in. Tech and Mankato are going to a 3rd game.

In other news, Yuki got a goal tonight.

Comment

So BG knocks off Bemidji 2 games to 0 at Bemidji. The Beavers have great defense and goaltending but their lack of offense finally did them in. Tech and Mankato are going to a 3rd game.
            I think Mankato will complete the comeback tomorrow. They have the momentum and the pressure is definitely on Tech.

Also which last remaining Roque recruits will be on the roster next season? I believe Renz and Chatham were recruited by Jim Roque. Any others?

Comment

Chatham is Damon's renz and roll are rogues.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                renz and roll are rogues.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYA_0R7Vw1s
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Coaching change at the Good Ship Laker?

Randy Russon explores the rampant rumours around the Michigan Soo regarding the firing of Damon Whitten.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/...te/#more-18127

Let us begin by providing the definition of the word rumour, which is aptly defined as “often being a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally.”

Well, rumours are rampant in the Michigan Soo that Lake Superior State Lakers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association are contemplating a coaching change that would result in the dismissal of third-year bench boss Damon Whitten.

While there is nothing to substantiate what is being said, the calls for a coaching change to be made at Lake State are coming through loud and clear.

For starters, another season recently ended in disappointment for the Lakers, who were swept by the Michigan Tech Huskies in convincing fashion in the opening round of the playoffs, losing by 6-4 and 8-0 scores.

This is the third straight season that the Lakers have finished with a sub-par record under Whitten, who was brought in to replace the fired Jim Roque three years ago. But with Whitten at the helm, the Lakers have shown little improvement in the standings or in the win-loss column.

Under Whitten, the Lakers have finished ninth, seventh and seventh in the 10-team WCHA. The Lakers overall records in the three seasons with Whitten as head coach are all below the .500 mark — 8-28-2, 14-22-5 and 11-18-7.

Thus, the Lakers three-year record under Whitten stands at 33-68-14.

This season, the Lakers started out with five straight wins only to finish with just six more victories the rest of the way.

And not only have the Lakers been unable to win a single playoff series under Whitten, they have a 1-6 record.

But while Whitten has his detractors, there are those who have stepped up to defend him, including former Lake State championship goalie Darrin Madeley, who went on to play in the National Hockey League.

Whitten was not an overly-popular choice to replace the fired Roque three years. Many fans in the Michigan Soo wanted the job to go to one of two local products with extensive coaching backgrounds — Joe Shawhan and Rich Metro.

Both were bypassed for the Laker head coaching job in favour of Whitten.

Shawhan moved up a pay grade in leaving his assistant coach position with the Northern Michigan Wildcats for a similar post at Michigan Tech. Metro, meanwhile, was hired as Whitten’s assistant.

All has not been rosy regarding Laker hockey since the 5-0 start to the 2016-2017 season.

Plum sophomore defenseman Owen Headrick left the Lakers in January to sign with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League. And a few others with WCHA eligibility remaining have served notice that they will not be returning to play for the Lakers in 2017-2018.

I happen to like Whitten. He’s easy to talk to and seems like a good guy.

I also like LSSU athletic director Kristin Dunbar. Dunbar has a clean reputation and simply put, is a good person.

What I am saying is that if any change is being contemplated, I doubt that Dunbar will be rushed or pushed into making a decision based on outside influences.

For now, let’s just call rumours of Whitten being fired exactly what they are.

Rumours.

Ringy Dingy!
                  Last edited by LakerBaker; 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
                    Coaching change at the Good Ship Laker?

Randy Russon explores the rampant rumours around the Michigan Soo regarding the firing of Damon Whitten.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/...te/#more-18127

Let us begin by providing the definition of the word rumour, which is aptly defined as “often being a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally.”

Well, rumours are rampant in the Michigan Soo that Lake Superior State Lakers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association are contemplating a coaching change that would result in the dismissal of third-year bench boss Damon Whitten.

While there is nothing to substantiate what is being said, the calls for a coaching change to be made at Lake State are coming through loud and clear.

For starters, another season recently ended in disappointment for the Lakers, who were swept by the Michigan Tech Huskies in convincing fashion in the opening round of the playoffs, losing by 6-4 and 8-0 scores.

This is the third straight season that the Lakers have finished with a sub-par record under Whitten, who was brought in to replace the fired Jim Roque three years ago. But with Whitten at the helm, the Lakers have shown little improvement in the standings or in the win-loss column.

Under Whitten, the Lakers have finished ninth, seventh and seventh in the 10-team WCHA. The Lakers overall records in the three seasons with Whitten as head coach are all below the .500 mark — 8-28-2, 14-22-5 and 11-18-7.

Thus, the Lakers three-year record under Whitten stands at 33-68-14.

This season, the Lakers started out with five straight wins only to finish with just six more victories the rest of the way.

And not only have the Lakers been unable to win a single playoff series under Whitten, they have a 1-6 record.

But while Whitten has his detractors, there are those who have stepped up to defend him, including former Lake State championship goalie Darrin Madeley, who went on to play in the National Hockey League.

Whitten was not an overly-popular choice to replace the fired Roque three years. Many fans in the Michigan Soo wanted the job to go to one of two local products with extensive coaching backgrounds — Joe Shawhan and Rich Metro.

Both were bypassed for the Laker head coaching job in favour of Whitten.

Shawhan moved up a pay grade in leaving his assistant coach position with the Northern Michigan Wildcats for a similar post at Michigan Tech. Metro, meanwhile, was hired as Whitten’s assistant.

All has not been rosy regarding Laker hockey since the 5-0 start to the 2016-2017 season.

Plum sophomore defenseman Owen Headrick left the Lakers in January to sign with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League. And a few others with WCHA eligibility remaining have served notice that they will not be returning to play for the Lakers in 2017-2018.

I happen to like Whitten. He’s easy to talk to and seems like a good guy.

I also like LSSU athletic director Kristin Dunbar. Dunbar has a clean reputation and simply put, is a good person.

What I am saying is that if any change is being contemplated, I doubt that Dunbar will be rushed or pushed into making a decision based on outside influences.

For now, let’s just call rumours of Whitten being fired exactly what they are.

Rumours.

Ringy Dingy!
                    The key word in this story is "unsubstantiated." So we have a huge article based upon "unsubstantiated" rumor & speculation. Brilliant piece of journalism. Here's a fact. Keep funding a program at the bottom of the barrel, you'll keep getting a program at the bottom of the barrel.
                    Last edited by RapidsCity; 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

...I also like LSSU athletic director Kristin Dunbar. Dunbar has a clean reputation and simply put, is a good person.

What I am saying is that if any change is being contemplated, I doubt that Dunbar will be rushed or pushed into making a decision based on outside influences...
                      Russon then proceeds to post link to article on facebook page with Dunbar tagged in the post (as well as other media types in the Soo area,) thereby attempting to exert his outside influence on her.
                      Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

I feel like the only talk about firing the coach is from our own LakerBaker. I haven't talked to anyone over here who thinks that will seriously happen, or even want it to.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

The whole article just feels cheap. If that's what passes for sports journalism across the river then I feel pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                            The whole article just feels cheap. If that's what passes for sports journalism across the river then I feel pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                            I needed to shower after reading it.

Comment

Randy Russon= Fake news?

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker
                                Methinks if you haven't heard the rumours over there, you are either deaf, continue to stick you head in the sand, or aren't living in the Michigan Soo, man.

If you don't like it you don't have to read it. Like you I woke up in a free country this morning, complete with the freedom of speech.

If rumors of a coaching change, with no real evidence pointing to it (which he states in the article), and talk of other players leaving with no proof of it, outside of Bindulis, counts as 'news', then then maybe I should be taking the news over on Info Wars a little more seriously. Even if players do leave, there are some every single year that leave, so it shouldn't be used to support these wild claims.

As for not hearing the rumors, or living over here, I think you, like Randy, should stick to what you know about. The only people I've ever heard over here talk about a coaching change are those that are still upset over Jim Roque being fired, and I try my best not to associate with them outside of official functions.
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X