X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Remind me next time to tell you guys why I think the Tute is more suited and should be playing in Atlantic Hockey.
    No.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
      this alum doesn't want, nor sees no need to lessen the standards. Need to remember 2 of the top NHL alumni from RPI were not only engineers, but graduated w/ high honors.
      'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away'
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        This is treated like a joke for no good reason. Yeah, a lot of the team majors in Management. So what?
        All I was commenting on was that few major in Communication and most major in Management, not the fact that son-of-alumn feels that implies that RPI has relaxed its standards. I suspect that my average would have been lower had I majored in Management at the time I was at RPI. As to Communication, it should be obvious from my posts that I am lacking in that regard.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          As to Communication, it should be obvious from my posts that I am lacking in that regard.
          I'm not sure that's limited to you. After all, didn't they add communications classes to the core curriculum for engineering recently? I know they weren't required when I was there (just Professional Development), but I had heard some things have changed.
          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            I'm not sure that's limited to you. After all, didn't they add communications classes to the core curriculum for engineering recently? I know they weren't required when I was there (just Professional Development), but I had heard some things have changed.
            Makes a lot of sense. If you can't explain the why (communications and subsequent change mgmt) then the what (engineering) does not get to swim in as big a pond.

I hire a lot of data engineers, scientists, and analysts and won't hire anyone that can't effectively present their work or their ideas to non-technical audiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Today is 19 March 2017. There are 196 days (28 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
              Pizza with the players Wednesday night. Wonder if coaches will. BE there also
              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                Makes a lot of sense. If you can't explain the why (communications and subsequent change mgmt) then the what (engineering) does not get to swim in as big a pond.

I hire a lot of data engineers, scientists, and analysts and won't hire anyone that can't effectively present their work or their ideas to non-technical audiences.
                Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                Pizza with the players Wednesday night. Wonder if coaches will. BE there also
                Bothman,

Then again, I am far from the bottom in my language skills. I am really struggling with the second period in rvdstar69's post.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                  I'm curious, how many alum posters on here even want a relaxation of the academic standards? Count me in the NO group. Very emphatically.
                  I would want them as tough as they have always been. I want only smart BIG hockey players on this team who can skate like the wind and put the puck into the net with regularity.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    The biggest obstacle to any new coach will be the following.
                    A program that doesn't win.
                    And the lack of players making it to the NHL.
                    Going back almost twenty years, we have had Matt Murley, Brad Tapper, Brian Pothier and Brandon Pirri play more than a hand full of games in the NHL.
                    Anyone with professional aspirations will want to go to a school that can get you a shot at the big time.
                    Total yes to all of that but add that any recruit coming in would want to be seen and noticed on a national basis. RPI does not often get as much exposure that other teams do, even in the same conference, and that has to be overcome. Not being in the final four at Placid or AC in the past many years has no doubt hurt in that regard. When you are not playing in a hockey mecca like Boston, you really have to get the exposure that a yearly visit to the championships (win or lose) gives.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Total yes to all of that but add that any recruit coming in would want to be seen and noticed on a national basis. RPI does not often get as much exposure that other teams do, even in the same conference, and that has to be overcome. Not being in the final four at Placid or AC in the past many years has no doubt hurt in that regard. When you are not playing in a hockey mecca like Boston, you really have to get the exposure that a yearly visit to the championships (win or lose) gives.
                      If the recruit is good they will get exposure, doesn't matter where you play it matters who the coaches know and how much they can develop a player.

Academics should not be touched, they fit in or they don't. There is a reason they have major juniors etc.

One can argue that HALF the programs don't win. So you recruit on getting playing time, building something and a great degree.

NHL aspirations? Few for many teams, question is can you develop your players, and I think there are a few nearby programs that have been successful with NO NHL players on them.

You can argue what you like about the HFH, great old barn, team wins it will be packed. Team doesn't it won't. Will some recruits look at it and say no way? Possible but if that's the kind of recruit the coach is looking at he is not the right guy.

Look around, the formula is out there, been done before and will again. It comes down to, getting the right coaches, is the hockey culture there, and does the team get the proper funding it needs.

Comment

Clarkson Women 2, Clarkson Men 0

congratulations...

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                          Clarkson Women 2, Clarkson Men 0

congratulations...
                          Thank you

Comment

Today is 21 March 2017. There are 194 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I just voted on a proxy against Shirley who is an member of the Board of Directors of a company where I own some stock. Too bad that my vote is about as unimportant as my vote for President in DC.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I just voted on a proxy against Shirley who is an member of the Board of Directors of a company where I own some stock. Too bad that my vote is about as unimportant as my vote for President in DC.
                                At least you get a vote for that...

Comment

Working...
                                X