• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jstadts
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
    In 2008 he(and Canisius) was at a rink comparable to the Knick Arena in Lansingburgh (Pepsi Center in Amherst, New York) Then they moved exclusively to Buffalo State's rink
    So HFH and E.Campus is a major upgrade for him. Probably won`t be asking for upgrades any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• CornwallAce
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Heck, Canisius doesn't really even have a rink to exclusively call home, yes? Weren't they previously sharing with Buffalo State? Obviously it's sort of the same deal with the Harborcenter, but at least it doesn't seem like they're constantly second banana in the schedule. The new coach (assuming he will be the new coach) already has a home rink, along with 5 more scholarships, as extra bargaining chips. And why shouldn't he bring in ACs of his choosing? Who knows, we may have hired a clutch-and-grab coach that doesn't fit with the previous up-tempo style.

People will pass judgement the second they hear something. I'm looking forward to October.
    In 2008 he(and Canisius) was at a rink comparable to the Knick Arena in Lansingburgh (Pepsi Center in Amherst, New York) Then they moved exclusively to Buffalo State's rink

Leave a comment:

• jstadts
    replied

in other news.Denver is about to drop 2.1 mill n locker rooms....

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
    You mean like ol' whats his name from Harvard? ... whose name shall not be spoken?...
    Wasn't he only a verbal, though?

Leave a comment:

• fr. joe
    replied

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
    Let me see if I have this one correct...

4. Does a new HC at RPI even get a chance to prove his worth before all the experts pipe in?...
    Things are happening quickly. It's April. Let's see what happens...

Leave a comment:

• fr. joe
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    You have said this many times but these contracts are often broken.

Do we want a hockey player who doesn't want us?
    You mean like ol' whats his name from Harvard? ... whose name shall not be spoken?...

Leave a comment:

• Section5forLife
    replied
    Originally posted by HockeyBill View Post
    Because I know Ben . Also, While Ben has been at UMass only one season, their next years incoming freshman recruits are ranked #1 in college.
    We missed the boat on this one. HockeyBill is 100% correct. We will watch from afar as Ben Barr builds and leads another program (not RPI) to great success.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Because I know Ben . Also, While Ben has been at UMass only one season, their next years incoming freshman recruits are ranked #1 in college.
    The only ranking of recruiting classes which I have seen is by Neutral Zone https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/. UMass is not in the top ten. If you click on that you can see the preliminary top 5 for several years in the future. No UMass.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyBill
    replied

Why would it be a given that he would have accepted if it was offered? He might have considered an offer too low, or something else might have made it a no-go.

Leave a comment:

• nhlfan1
    replied

tech to denver do you know where congers other interest is from

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
    In the past maybe, but times have changed. They are committing kids so young these days that an AC's ability to project development may be more important in the long run than simply identification and evaluation, even Ralph Baer can walk into a barn and pick the top 15 year olds on each team, but can he predict if they will develop into D-I players, and beyond that, can he keep from spilling his coffee on Mum's new white carpet when she tells him she used to date an Engineer and was glad she didn't marry him because driving a train is too stressful?
    Good point about having to project several years into the future.

Leave a comment:

• Bradz
    replied

I couldn't care less if the new ACs have D-I experience, the questions are is can they coach and can they recruit? Recruiting is almost the same anywhere. You have to evaluate the players as to how well they play and fit into your system, and then you have to convince them to come over any other offers. You also have to husband the 18 allotted scholarships. It doesn't make sense to offer a full scholarship to a player who will rarely dress, but it probably will be necessary for a potential first-line player. Those 18 scholarships have to be spread out over a roster in the upper 20's. When Seth Appert was hired, he convinced RPI to allow hockey players to compete for other scholarship money. It previously was the school policy that hockey players could not get other money. So now we typically have one or two minority students on the roster for example.
    In the past maybe, but times have changed. They are committing kids so young these days that an AC's ability to project development may be more important in the long run than simply identification and evaluation, even Ralph Baer can walk into a barn and pick the top 15 year olds on each team, but can he predict if they will develop into D-I players, and beyond that, can he keep from spilling his coffee on Mum's new white carpet when she tells him she used to date an Engineer and was glad she didn't marry him because driving a train is too stressful?

Leave a comment:

• Section5forLife
    replied
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I would not be surprised if #3 played a big factor. We're still paying Appert for 4 more seasons, and you know SAJ's going to give herself another huge raise. I know a bunch of people will complain about getting what you pay for, but at the end of the day, RPI is still a business, and all revenue and expenses must be taken into account.
    A question we will never have answered for us, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Just to set the record straight, Ben Barr was not offered the job. If it was offered , he certainly would have accepted it. Ben is one of the best recruiters around and he would have turned
    the RPI program into a winner. For the life of me I can't understand why they would hire a coach with the loosing record.........
    Why would it be a given that he would have accepted if it was offered? He might have considered an offer too low, or something else might have made it a no-go.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    I wonder a few things
    1- he will want his own goalies I imagine
    2- did the AD say that graham and vines need to stay and he would allow that
    3- they saved money on the hire as another poster said to offset apperts buy out and the money for the stupid search for a coach
    I would not be surprised if #3 played a big factor. We're still paying Appert for 4 more seasons, and you know SAJ's going to give herself another huge raise. I know a bunch of people will complain about getting what you pay for, but at the end of the day, RPI is still a business, and all revenue and expenses must be taken into account.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X