Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
    I'm not sure where your information is coming from but a team video session of the prior nights game is not analytics. This team did not do weekly one on one video review. With that being said Dave Smith met with his former Canisius players last night to inform them that he was leaving. No notice yet to the RPI players that he's been hired.
    And how do you know that they aren't? You've been making quite a number of accusations here on straight facts (i.e. not commentary), but not much to back it up. There are some people on this board with sources that are quite trustworthy.

    Comment


    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

      Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      And how do you know that they aren't? You've been making quite a number of accusations here on straight facts (i.e. not commentary), but not much to back it up. There are some people on this board with sources that are quite trustworthy.
      I'd be happy reveal the source, let me know how to do that privately.

      Comment


      • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

        Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
        I'd be happy reveal the source, let me know how to do that privately.
        Names are not necessary. A "team member" (could be either coaches or players) no one needs to know which. Alumni, Administrator.
        Just a few examples.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

        Comment


        • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

          Kevin Broad is going to be on 104.5 ESPN the team at 11:15am
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

          Comment


          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

            Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

            Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

            I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

            2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings Last Place

            Comment


            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

              Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              True, but typically when these commitments are broken, they are done under the agreement of the institution with which they signed. Obviously Appert was able to get RPI to break NLI with a couple players for the purposes of deferring the player, but with a new coach coming in, what sort of clout will they have in those terms? The position of RPI, when I asked, was that they will not break NLI. Obviously this could change, but until we hear something concrete that they did, I have to say that their reporting of their position still stands.
              Who cares. We're not talking about the next Charlie McAvoy. Move along until we get real news.
              Class of '93

              16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

              Comment


              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                sigpic

                Let's Go 'Tute!

                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                2012 Poser Of The Year

                Comment


                • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                  Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                  Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

                  Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

                  I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
                  totally agree.

                  Comment


                  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                    Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    Just popping in to give my opinion of the whole thing. Nothing particularly new, but I want to type it out.

                    Just as he appears to have been for most of us, Smith was by far the least exciting of the four finalists to me. Sure he has real D-I coaching experience, but that experience is leading Canisius to a bad-to-mediocre record year after year. This past year should be considered an aberration driven by spectacular goaltending, not the norm. It's lovely that he helped turn around Canisius 11 years ago, but I don't think the problems he fixed there are the problems we face as a program now. I don't mean to really put Smith down here, and choosing him was not his own fault, but the administrations. Maybe Ben Barr didn't want to coach here, whether due to lack of funds or resources or just because he thinks he has a shot at higher-profile programs. Maybe Riga and Gosek thought they had better gigs currently. But until I'm shown otherwise, I will assume that Smith was chosen because he was the cheapest and easiest option, not because he was the best.

                    I'm still going to cheer for RPI, and I hope Smith proves us all wrong, but I have a hard time imagining the program improving significantly with him at the helm, simply because the administration really just doesn't seem to give a ****.
                    Have to agree, every question and answer doesn't put the program and Institute in a great light. Hope I'm wrong.
                    Class of '93

                    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

                    Comment


                    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                      Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Greg Carvel was announced as the UMass coach on 3/29/16 and BC didn't commit to us until October. It could take just as long this time if he elects to sit our another year. I don't know why he should waste another year, but ...
                      He will not be sitting, he has interest elsewhere. It's also not a good example to set in one of your 1st acts as head coach to block a former recruit because he signed his NLI with the previous coach, junior hockey players are quite connected and that would spread.

                      Comment


                      • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                        Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                        He will not be sitting, he has interest elsewhere. It's also not a good example to set in one of your 1st acts as head coach to block a former recruit because he signed his NLI with the previous coach, junior hockey players are quite connected and that would spread.
                        I agree with that. Smith could try to convince him that RPI is still the best place for him, but it would be coup for him if he could do that. He would almost be starting from scratch.
                        sigpic

                        Let's Go 'Tute!

                        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                        2012 Poser Of The Year

                        Comment


                        • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          I agree with that. Smith could try to convince him that RPI is still the best place for him, but it would be coup for him if he could do that. He would almost be starting from scratch.
                          Look at the year, he IS starting from scratch. Spending a lot of time trying to bring back a player does not make sense. Smith has a lot to do, decide on AC's and see who is in the pipeline and what he has in his hands. Then what to sell the new recruits on which is typically playing time and education.

                          Comment


                          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                            Another source
                            http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...-barr-ed-gosek

                            Comment


                            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                              What gets me is this hire contradicts what McElroy said after Appert was fired.

                              He said winning program needs consistency, and I remember reading in the TU that he said Apperts body of work wasn't enough to keep him. This doesn't really describe Coach Smiths body of work. 60 games below .500(I dont have the exact number with me)is not a strong body of work nor was his 12 years at Canisius consistent.

                              Comment


                              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                                Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
                                What gets me is this hire contradicts what McElroy said after Appert was fired. He said winning program needs consistency, and I remember reading in the TU that he said Apperts body of work wasn't enough to keep him. This doesn't really describe Coach Smiths body of work. 60 games below .500(I dont have the exact number with me)is not a strong body of work nor was his 12 years at Canisius consistent.
                                McElroy can say what he wants but you just have to look further into your other programs to see what he says is not exactly what he does.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X