Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

    Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
    And how many hours do the administrative tasks take? Players are in the class room M,T, TH & FR mornings until 1pm. They don't take classes on Wednesdays. The team skates in the morning on Wednesdays. So Friday's are game days, and there are 20 hours a week that the players aren't around, how many hours are needed for administrative tasks? Its a hypothetical question but honestly would a secretary working 37 hours a week vs 25 hours a week make that much of a difference? What's the excuse for not doing video or analytics with the players. That's what Hockey Ops and AC's are for. From what I hear from a parent of a Canisius player his son spent a lot of time on video and analytics and Canisius is substantially underfunded in comparison to RPI. They have a part time volunteer Hockey Ops position and no secretary for the hockey staff.

    I'm not saying that the extra expense is warranted but its an excuse for these other developmental tools not to be used.
    The Dir of Hockey Ops position was left open for about a year when Kevin Anderson left. Also, the Director of Hockey Ops is shared by both the men's and women's team; unheard of for top programs. I would say Canisius is to Atlantic Hockey to what RPI is to the ECAC. Coach Smith had 8 losing years out of 12 in his conference and one was a tie numerical. When Mike Sadghpour, Joe Juneau, Tony Henja etc. states its underfunded and understaffed they would know.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

    Comment


    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

      My opinion of Smith being hired will greatly improve if he convinces Bailey Conger to play for RPI and loses no one else.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Addesa was not a sitting D-I coach because HC did not play D-I when he arrived. Jim Salfi was the coach for Penn before RPI. Penn dropped its program.
        Salfi did coach for Penn before he came to RPI and Penn did ultimately drop its program, but that didn't happen until several years after Salfi opted to come to Troy. Bob Crocker and Bob Finke served as Penn head coaches before the program was dropped after the 1977-78 season.

        Crocker may be remembered for recruiting a guy near and dear to RPI fans' hearts to play for the Quakers during the mid-1970's - a young fellow named Paul Stewart.
        Last edited by Waite21; 04-03-2017, 10:38 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
          Again people are putting on this thread that this team and program are under funded today its about the lack of a full time Secretary and a full time Strength Coach. Really is that the issue with this team the past 4+ years. The players work out with a Strength Coach every day. The same strength coach every day, what more full time then that do they need. A secretary, how does that help the players on the ice? The coaches were on the ice every day with the players unless they were out recruiting. How about the coaches doing more coaching during practices. How about the coaches spending more time doing video and analytics with the players. How about using their Director of Hockey Operations to do more with respect to video and analytics. I don't think a strength coach or a secretary find this duties as part of their responsibilities. Coaches are supposed to coach and work on skill development on and off the ice. Ask this crop of players and those that went through the doors the past 4+ years if that happened.

          This team would and will improve by leaps and bounds if the coaches utilize better time management skills and utilize video and analytics with the players. It doesn't cost anymore money to do that. Those resources are already in place, just not utilized.
          .
          You are correct re: strength coaching. I confirmed what I knew to be accurate with a former athlete in another sport. The hockey team has daily interaction with strength and fitness staff... the team also had an outside performance consultant that SA brought in ..whose name escapes me.

          RPI uses video analytics...not sure why folks are operating on the assumption that they don't. Even on road trips, Video review is done with each player on plays from the Friday game as well as scouting review of the Sat evening opponents.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

          Comment


          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

            Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            .
            You are correct re: strength coaching. I confirmed what I knew to be accurate with a former athlete in another sport. The hockey team has daily interaction with strength and fitness staff... the team also had an outside performance consultant that SA brought in ..whose name escapes me.
            RPI uses video analytics...not sure why folks are operating on the assumption that they don't. Even on road trips, Video review is done with each player on plays from the Friday game as well as scouting review of the Sat evening opponents.
            Head strength coach was not hired till late in the year.

            Just how much time WAS spent on the analytics? Enough? Maybe not.

            So if the team HAD all these things, and great recruits as some stated, they weren't winning, because?
            Last edited by Northbynorthwest; 04-03-2017, 11:33 PM.

            Comment


            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

              Originally posted by Northbynorthwest View Post
              Head strength coach was not hired till late in the year.

              Just how much time WAS spent on the analytics? Enough? Maybe not.

              So if the team HAD all these things, and great recruits as some stated, they weren't winning, because?
              I think he just won ......continuuuuuuuuue.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

              Comment


              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                Today is 4 April 2017. There are 180 days until RPI's next game.


                This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

                Let's Go 'Tute!

                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                2012 Poser Of The Year

                Comment


                • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                  Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  My opinion of Smith being hired will greatly improve if he convinces Bailey Conger to play for RPI and loses no one else.
                  Ralph, you got this one right. His first test will be keeping the recruits. Since I haven't seen anything new on Conger, I guess we still have a shot to keep him.
                  But the real test will be how he coaches the team on the ice. I hope he can get these guys ready when the game starts and calms them down when we have "big" games. We always seem to play nervous hockey in games like the Freakout and early ECAC playoff rounds. SA never seemed to get the players on the right level going into those games.
                  There is a lot of talk about money and support for the hockey team, but we seem to have talented players, now we need a talented coach.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

                  Comment


                  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                    Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Ralph, you got this one right. His first test will be keeping the recruits. Since I haven't seen anything new on Conger, I guess we still have a shot to keep him.
                    But the real test will be how he coaches the team on the ice. I hope he can get these guys ready when the game starts and calms them down when we have "big" games. We always seem to play nervous hockey in games like the Freakout and early ECAC playoff rounds. SA never seemed to get the players on the right level going into those games.
                    There is a lot of talk about money and support for the hockey team, but we seem to have talented players, now we need a talented coach.
                    Greg Carvel was announced as the UMass coach on 3/29/16 and BC didn't commit to us until October. It could take just as long this time if he elects to sit our another year. I don't know why he should waste another year, but ...
                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                      Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Greg Carvel was announced as the UMass coach on 3/29/16 and BC didn't commit to us until October. It could take just as long this time if he elects to sit our another year. I don't know why he should waste another year, but ...
                      Wouldn't that require the school to break this year's contract? And have we heard anything different from them about their upholding of the contract? Once the new coach is instated, we'll see if he convinces the AD to change their mind about Conger.

                      Comment


                      • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                        Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Wouldn't that require the school to break this year's contract? And have we heard anything different from them about their upholding of the contract? Once the new coach is instated, we'll see if he convinces the AD to change their mind about Conger.
                        You have said this many times but these contracts are often broken.

                        Do we want a hockey player who doesn't want us?
                        sigpic

                        Let's Go 'Tute!

                        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                        2012 Poser Of The Year

                        Comment


                        • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                          Conger isn't the first to break a commitment, nor will he be the last player to do so. His status is neither a referendum on the program, nor the coach. Recruiting solid players who play as a team and perform on the ice is the metric that needs improvement. Maybe even an appearance in Lake Placid?
                          Class of '93

                          16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

                          Comment


                          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                            Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            .
                            You are correct re: strength coaching. I confirmed what I knew to be accurate with a former athlete in another sport. The hockey team has daily interaction with strength and fitness staff... the team also had an outside performance consultant that SA brought in ..whose name escapes me.

                            RPI uses video analytics...not sure why folks are operating on the assumption that they don't. Even on road trips, Video review is done with each player on plays from the Friday game as well as scouting review of the Sat evening opponents.
                            I'm not sure where your information is coming from but a team video session of the prior nights game is not analytics. This team did not do weekly one on one video review. With that being said Dave Smith met with his former Canisius players last night to inform them that he was leaving. No notice yet to the RPI players that he's been hired.

                            Comment


                            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                              Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              You have said this many times but these contracts are often broken.

                              Do we want a hockey player who doesn't want us?
                              Unfortunately, that's not my call. And we don't know if RPI is going to strictly hold the contract (and the athletic scholarship that comes with it).

                              Comment


                              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

                                Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                                Conger isn't the first to break a commitment, nor will he be the last player to do so. His status is neither a referendum on the program, nor the coach. Recruiting solid players who play as a team and perform on the ice is the metric that needs improvement. Maybe even an appearance in Lake Placid?
                                True, but typically when these commitments are broken, they are done under the agreement of the institution with which they signed. Obviously Appert was able to get RPI to break NLI with a couple players for the purposes of deferring the player, but with a new coach coming in, what sort of clout will they have in those terms? The position of RPI, when I asked, was that they will not break NLI. Obviously this could change, but until we hear something concrete that they did, I have to say that their reporting of their position still stands.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X