X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ServinisScores
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I saw Gosek play w/ Oswego at RPI, and he stood out like a sore thumb. Was way above a D-3 talent on the ice.
    Last edited by ServinisScores; 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM. Reason: grammah

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    I'm not the guy holding a candle over his grave.
    I re-read the article that Appert's no longer the coach. I re-read the list realet posted of the four finalists, on which Roll was not listed. Why are we concerned about either of them? I'd prefer not to quote Kevin O'Leary if I don't have to...

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied

I'm not the guy holding a candle over his grave.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    someone brought him up in reference to a current candidate. Mind you, Roll, like him or not, performed better in the ECAC than Appert in every measurable performance statistic.
    The horse is dead. Move on.

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Why did his name even come up? He has had only one winning season since 2008. Not what I have in mind for our program.
    someone brought him up in reference to a current candidate. Mind you, Roll, like him or not, performed better in the ECAC than Appert in every measurable performance statistic.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Why did his name even come up? He has had only one winning season since 2008. Not what I have in mind for our program.
    I thought the original poster was trying to give a reason as to why we shouldn't look at D-III. Which would be a grave mistake, because if we want head coaching results in what we look for, why shouldn't we take into account D-III, especially given recruiting challenges?

Leave a comment:

• fr. joe
    replied

I posted the DIII coaching records of Ed Gosek and Ron Fogarty because it has been reported that one is a candidate for our open position and the other made the transition from DIII to Princeton. I mentioned George Roll's name in the thread because he, too, coached at Oswego before coaching at Clarkson. He's a comparison, not a candidate.
    Last edited by fr. joe; 03-29-2017, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Can we say George Roll everybody?
    Roll had some success at Oswego. Gosek has had wild success at Oswego. They're different people.

Because Gosek replaced Roll, who left to take over an ECAC team. Roll actually had some modicum of success at Clarkson, but then hit a rough patch and wasn't allotted time to work out of it. Now he's at a school with zero resources.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    George Roll's history as head coach http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid,130/george-roll/

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    I'm surprised Riga is interested. After the game at the Q the local radio team interviewed one of the assistants, and I'm virtually certain it was Riga, and he was very dismissive of our team and program. He talked about how they played against teams like RPI that they should beat and even questioned whether our team wanted to play against the Bobcats. Unless he thinks Appert was completely incompetent, I'm not sure why he'd want to step into that program.
    If he cares enough to even discuss our play, maybe he has a halfway decent idea of what to do to fix it. And given he wants to put his money where his mouth is by interviewing, I'd say that's worth a fair look.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
    Not so fast my friend, I haven't been interviewed yet. Got a fresh haircut tonight and gonna put my best suit and tie on. MRGA (Make RPI Great Again)
    How are your ties to hockey players in Russia?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
    Took a look at the coaches records: Fogarty was about 167-23-10 at Adrian (7 yrs)... Gosek was something like 288-85-25 at Oswego (14 yrs).
    Amazing numbers. Did George Roll coach at Oswego before his stint at Clarkson? Mike McShane has enjoyed success at Norwich.
    George Roll's history as head coach http://www.uscho.com/stats/coach/mid,130/george-roll/
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-29-2017, 01:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 29 March 2017. There are 186 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• fr. joe
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Nothing wrong with D-III. Gosek has also been wildly successful in D-III. So was Ron Fogarty, and few will claim that Princeton isn't on the up and up.
    Took a look at the coaches records: Fogarty was about 167-23-10 at Adrian (7 yrs)... Gosek was something like 288-85-25 at Oswego (14 yrs).
    Amazing numbers. Did George Roll coach at Oswego before his stint at Clarkson? Mike McShane has enjoyed success at Norwich.
    Last edited by fr. joe; 03-28-2017, 11:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
    One of Sixty D1 hockey programs, why wouldn't he be interested. As for him dismissing the program, maybe he saw the dysfunction and his comments are normal coming from a program of excellence.
    Well, if he saw dysfunction that would fall under my comment about his view of Appert's competence. In any case, his comments went far beyond the normal comments on what his team needed to do to overcome a worthy opponent to showing outright disrespect. That's why he might not be interested. If he gets the job he'll be dependent on many of those players for the first several years until he gets his own recruits in here - and remember recruiting of better players is often 2-3 years before their arrival. He'll also be at the mercy of any external forces that may have held the program back. On the other hand, he can stay at the Q, with its recruiting and facility advantages until he's a top candidate for a choice position.

The Q was coming off a rough trip to Northern Ireland when they played us and maybe Riga was just in a bad mood. I have to assume if he takes the job that he thinks he can turn things around.

One last note, Quinnipiac recently launched an engineering school that just graduated its first class. In the upcoming class is are both of the Clifton brothers (Mech. E. IIRC). I wonder whether we were ever even on their radar. There aren't that many top recruits interested in engineering and we should be on top of all of them.
    Last edited by rpi82; 03-28-2017, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X