X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpi82
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

My biggest concern with throwing Jooris name into the mix was that his connections are undoubtedly overwhelmingly in Ontario and little elsewhere. Well, that's Smith but without the sub-.500 record behind the bench. Jooris could hire recruiters with greater reach to offset his weakness. Who can Smith hire to offset his weaknesses?

Leave a comment:

• rvd5star69
    replied
    Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    The Canisius coach is 4th on my preference list out of 4. While I'm sure there are issues recruiting at Canisius, why would we want a coach with a well below .500 record and extremely limited recruiting reach (look at their roster)? His history is Seth with even less of a recruiting footprint. Grosek would be third on my list because he's a winner with an even more limited recruiting base. If we don't get Riga or Barr I will consider this effort a step backward.
    If it's smith I may never walk into the hfh again

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied

The Canisius coach is 4th on my preference list out of 4. While I'm sure there are issues recruiting at Canisius, why would we want a coach with a well below .500 record and extremely limited recruiting reach (look at their roster)? His history is Seth with even less of a recruiting footprint. Grosek would be third on my list because he's a winner with an even more limited recruiting base. If we don't get Riga or Barr I will consider this effort a step backward.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

One thing I find a bit ironic with the Canisius coach, although nothing to do with the actual coaching search: We've yet to play Canisius. Ever.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Who wrote that? He said that he covered RPI back in the Addesa era, but there is no byline.
    Steve Amedio a columnist. There's a note st bottom of the piece

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Who wrote that? He said that he covered RPI back in the Addesa era, but there is no byline.

Leave a comment:

• RegalFan
    replied

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
    They've deleted the tweet. I don't know who runs that account. No idea if that means they found out they were wrong, or won't supposed to say.
    Originally posted by Jasma View Post
    Did Barr and Riga turn it down?
    Maybe and just maybe if it is Dave Smith its because he was the first choice and the others did not have good interviews.

Leave a comment:

• rsfs04
    replied
    Originally posted by Jasma View Post
    They've deleted the tweet. I don't know who runs that account. No idea if that means they found out they were wrong, or won't supposed to say.

Leave a comment:

• Jasma
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    @NCAAHOCKEYCOACH: Hearing @GriffsHCKYCoach is the new Rpi Hockey Coach.

Dave Smith from Canisius

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    The staff needs to be HCs decision, IMO.
    NO one being a HC would have it any other way. He wants people he knows and trusts and brings with him. Doesn't mean any of the current AC can't apply but frankly it depends how much you have to clean house so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

@NCAAHOCKEYCOACH: Hearing @GriffsHCKYCoach is the new Rpi Hockey Coach.

Dave Smith from Canisius

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    The sooner the better.
    Once the coach is in place, he can meet with the recruits and they can decide if they are going to stay or not.
    Do we know if any of the assistant coaches are staying? It might help in keeping some of the recruits that might be on the fence.
    It will be nice to know what the team is going to look like in October.
    The staff needs to be HCs decision, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Originally posted by johnk View Post
    I see alot of these artilcles repeating the same thing about academics, the fieldhouse, commitment to hockey, etc. Count me as one who sees Yale, Harvard and Union all in the Frozen four the past couple of years, all with substandard facilites and top notch academics. Cannot comment on their commitment to hockey and each of these institutions. I don't think there is a person on this board expecting regular apperances in the Frozen Four or even regular ECAC championships. But how about a few trips the the ECAC final 4 every decade and regular finishes in the top half of the ECAC. I frimly believe the resources for that have always been there and every once in a while a couple players might put RPI in the top 15 in the nation. In conclusion, I don't think RPI's commitment is much different than any of their ECAC bretheren and expectations are not what they were in the mid-80's. All the tools are there to put a competitive, entertaining team on the ice, while giving these student-atheletes a wonderful education.
    . Agree 100%. It's amazing to me that Reporters continue to write pieces siting HFH "deficiencies " while Union has built a powerhouse program with a DOT rock salt shed for a rink. Rubbish

Leave a comment:

• realet
    replied

Originally posted by Jstas91 View Post
    "Jeff Cox‏
    @JeffCoxSports

Expect announcement on the new coach at RPI in the next day or two. Recruits were told around April 1, interviews concluded end last week."

Barr or Dave Smith?
    Or Riga or Gosek? Is there anything suggesting they're no longer in the running?

Leave a comment:

• CDHockey22
    replied

No shot for either. NCAA coaching experience is an absolute requirement for a D1 HC position. Riley probably has the qualifications to be an assistant, especially considering the family he comes from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X