Atlantic Hockey Championship Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Here are the game highlights, or lowlights if you're a RIT fan. Unfortunately RIT takes a page out of the Notre Dame game highlight playbook (probably wouldn't have showed any Niagara goals except for the comeback happening) and only shows the goals that tie and win it for Niagara. So not all game highlights but you still get to see the last two goals.

Had fun at the Bentley/SHU game last night. Will probably head back tonight and cheer SHU on again, too bad they can't generate more of a fanbase as the fans who were there were fun, enthusiastic, and SHU's pep band was pretty good. Did try the JAR pizza (hard and cold), maybe it's better when you get it fresh at wherever they buy it locally but it is pizza brought in from elsewhere, not made on the spot, and put under a heat lamp so I guess that's what to expect. But overall it was a nice experience and harkened back to Lowell's Tyngsboro Skate 3 or maybe Tully Forum days, sort of a throwback night.
    I think that SH fans outnumbered Bentley fans at least by five to one last night, not including SH's loud pep band.

Blazer, I, and others have warned JAR attendees about the pizza for years on various threads here; if you are still posting here after eating a slice, consider yourself very lucky!

Comment

Re: Atlantic Hockey Championship Tournament

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I think that SH fans outnumbered Bentley fans at least by five to one last night, not including SH's loud pep band.

Blazer, I, and others have warned JAR attendees about the pizza for years on various threads here; if you are still posting here after eating a slice, consider yourself very lucky!
      It was about 50/50 (discounting myself and my broadcast partner Hunter, who were neutral and had a little AIC gear on) last night once the late-arriving Bentley students got there. But the band definitely tilted the crowd in favor of the visitors.

As for the pizza, well, I got mine before the game started, so it was hot and tasty. Maybe that's the trick? I'd like to know what pizza shop they get it from and just go there before the game.

Comment

I can't imagine where SHU fans came from. I went to 8 of their home games this year and one game I literally counted fannys in seats just to see how close it matched the announced crowd. Not far off. High 100s ( and there are always family/freinds/fans of the visiting team there) Either they have lots of alumni in the Watertown area or Bentley fans stayed away for some reason. I agree the pep band is pretty good. Anyway. Gooooooo Heart!

Comment

Originally posted by LTI Alum View Post
          I can't imagine where SHU fans came from. I went to 8 of their home games this year and one game I literally counted fannys in seats just to see how close it matched the announced crowd. Not far off. High 100s ( and there are always family/freinds/fans of the visiting team there) Either they have lots of alumni in the Watertown area or Bentley fans stayed away for some reason. I agree the pep band is pretty good. Anyway. Gooooooo Heart!
          Bentley's spring break began yesterday.

Comment

Here are the game highlights, or lowlights if you're a RIT fan. Unfortunately RIT takes a page out of the Notre Dame game highlight playbook (probably wouldn't have showed any Niagara goals except for the comeback happening) and only shows the goals that tie and win it for Niagara. So not all game highlights but you still get to see the last two goals.

Had fun at the Bentley/SHU game last night. Will probably head back tonight and cheer SHU on again, too bad they can't generate more of a fanbase as the fans who were there were fun, enthusiastic, and SHU's pep band was pretty good. Did try the JAR pizza (hard and cold), maybe it's better when you get it fresh at wherever they buy it locally but it is pizza brought in from elsewhere, not made on the spot, and put under a heat lamp so I guess that's what to expect. But overall it was a nice experience and harkened back to Lowell's Tyngsboro Skate 3 or maybe Tully Forum days, sort of a throwback night.
            I remember games at the forum. For some reason we called it the Billerica Forum, though I think it's in Chelmsford. A dark and dingy place is my best recollection. Skate 3 was a big upgrade. I guess I won't get to see the JAR, but was always curious why it rated last in a review I read last year by someone who rated every D1 rink in the country. He rated Sacred Hearts rink, the Milford Ice Pavillion just above the JAR. The MIP was worthy of a last place rating for sure. The visitors couldn't even fit in one locker room they had to use 2. Seating was on just 1 side . Play was occasionally halted for pucks off the ceiling, and it could be cold, especially when the stands were extra empty. The price was right, though and parking was free and the concession stand actually served better than average fare at decent price. One could stand at the glass behind the goal or the corners for really up close action viewing. I loved it. The new arena they play in charges for parking and sadly has not drawn more. Concessions are worse and "up close" viewing is not as good as you are not allowed to stand.
            That being said, the new place has to help with recruiting and they needed to upgrade. I think the Atlantic Hockey Conference was mandating arena upgrades given their scholarship additions and renewed attempts to get better.
            What they really need is an on campus rink and as you have noted, there are rumors.

Comment

I remember games at the forum. For some reason we called it the Billerica Forum, though I think it's in Chelmsford. A dark and dingy place is my best recollection. Skate 3 was a big upgrade. I guess I won't get to see the JAR, but was always curious why it rated last in a review I read last year by someone who rated every D1 rink in the country. He rated Sacred Hearts rink, the Milford Ice Pavillion just above the JAR. The MIP was worthy of a last place rating for sure. The visitors couldn't even fit in one locker room they had to use 2. Seating was on just 1 side . Play was occasionally halted for pucks off the ceiling, and it could be cold, especially when the stands were extra empty. The price was right, though and parking was free and the concession stand actually served better than average fare at decent price. One could stand at the glass behind the goal or the corners for really up close action viewing. I loved it. The new arena they play in charges for parking and sadly has not drawn more. Concessions are worse and "up close" viewing is not as good as you are not allowed to stand.
              That being said, the new place has to help with recruiting and they needed to upgrade. I think the Atlantic Hockey Conference was mandating arena upgrades given their scholarship additions and renewed attempts to get better.
              What they really need is an on campus rink and as you have noted, there are rumors.
              When Lowell moved from Skate 3 to the renamed Tully Forum (now the Chelmsford Forum in Billerica) in 1980 after they acquired it, they proceeded to undertake significant upgrades including a locker room addition, lighting, new scoreboard, and other items. It actually served the team well from 1980 until 1998 when they moved into the Tsongas but the JAR is definitely several rungs below Tully. Looking forward to another "throwback" night tonight at the JAR to cheer on SHU, absent that pizza though which was the equivalent of day-old, luke-warm reheated. Ick.

In terms of SHU, I wonder if the Milford Ice Palace had a better atmosphere due to smaller seating size. Not having ever been there, I don't know but if SHU's average attendance of this season of last in DI at 373 average is any indication, they're not creating much atmosphere in Webster Bank with a capacity of 8,525 as they're getting swallowed up in it. My guess is the number on average was the same. Too bad as the product on the ice looks to be improving but no one is really paying any attention. Without knowing the effort SHU puts into promotion and marketing, having the AHL team in Bridgeport is a drain too when you look similarly at Lowell. When Lowell had to compete with the AHL team, AHL team took in all the revenue, ad space, pouring rights, etc. since Lowell didn't own the building. Plus Lowell's product was up and down, a lot of down, and that hurt too. Bridgeport AHL team is averaging 3632 this season and one option to look at in the future could be SHU/Sound Tiger double-headers on some dates. SHU plays a 3 and Sound Tigers at 7, something like that. Create a partnership that helps generate some buzz and vibe.

Until SHU can get that appropriately-sized rink on campus (maybe in range of 2,500 seats), they'll be behind the 8-ball on generating attendance, vibe, atmosphere, and also revenue that can in turn be reinvested in the program for team amenities and recruiting. Part of Lowell's success the past several years has been owning and controlling their building which translates into a host of positive aspects for program operations. I saw what SHU could be last night with that small, dedicated group of fans/parents/family/band and the quicker they can move on an on-campus facility, the better for the growth of their program.
              Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
              Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
              Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

When Lowell moved from Skate 3 to the renamed Tully Forum (now the Chelmsford Forum in Billerica) in 1980 after they acquired it, they proceeded to undertake significant upgrades including a locker room addition, lighting, new scoreboard, and other items. It actually served the team well from 1980 until 1998 when they moved into the Tsongas but the JAR is definitely several rungs below Tully. Looking forward to another "throwback" night tonight at the JAR to cheer on SHU, absent that pizza though which was the equivalent of day-old, luke-warm reheated. Ick.

In terms of SHU, I wonder if the Milford Ice Palace had a better atmosphere due to smaller seating size. Not having ever been there, I don't know but if SHU's average attendance of this season of last in DI at 373 average is any indication, they're not creating much atmosphere in Webster Bank with a capacity of 8,525 as they're getting swallowed up in it. My guess is the number on average was the same. Too bad as the product on the ice looks to be improving but no one is really paying any attention. Without knowing the effort SHU puts into promotion and marketing, having the AHL team in Bridgeport is a drain too when you look similarly at Lowell. When Lowell had to compete with the AHL team, AHL team took in all the revenue, ad space, pouring rights, etc. since Lowell didn't own the building. Plus Lowell's product was up and down, a lot of down, and that hurt too. Bridgeport AHL team is averaging 3632 this season and one option to look at in the future could be SHU/Sound Tiger double-headers on some dates. SHU plays a 3 and Sound Tigers at 7, something like that. Create a partnership that helps generate some buzz and vibe.

Until SHU can get that appropriately-sized rink on campus (maybe in range of 2,500 seats), they'll be behind the 8-ball on generating attendance, vibe, atmosphere, and also revenue that can in turn be reinvested in the program for team amenities and recruiting. Part of Lowell's success the past several years has been owning and controlling their building which translates into a host of positive aspects for program operations. I saw what SHU could be last night with that small, dedicated group of fans/parents/family/band and the quicker they can move on an on-campus facility, the better for the growth of their program.
                As to your opinions about the SHU program, being a lifelong resident and hockey fan from the area, I believe that SHU is the loser in the lottery for the small amount of hockey dollars that are to be spent in the area. Hockey fans in Southern CT have too many choices when it comes to spending our dollars. You have QU, Yale, SHU, Sound Tigers and many great high school hockey programs all within a 25 mile drive of New Haven. I choose to buy season tickets for Yale mainly because i have always been a fan, but if I were a local casual hockey fan with no dog in the race, I would still choose going to New Haven vs. going to the Bridgeport area. to put it briefly southern CT fans don't travel very far with their money because they don't have to. Would an on campus rink with the capacity you cite help SHU? Probably, but there are only so many hockey dollars to spend on Friday and Saturday nights around here. I think they made a mistake going to BPT due to the high concession prices as well. You also have to remember that Bobby Valentine is the SHU Athletic Director and has never won a thing wherever he has been.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  As to your opinions about the SHU program, being a lifelong resident and hockey fan from the area, I believe that SHU is the loser in the lottery for the small amount of hockey dollars that are to be spent in the area. Hockey fans in Southern CT have too many choices when it comes to spending our dollars. You have QU, Yale, SHU, Sound Tigers and many great high school hockey programs all within a 25 mile drive of New Haven. I choose to buy season tickets for Yale mainly because i have always been a fan, but if I were a local casual hockey fan with no dog in the race, I would still choose going to New Haven vs. going to the Bridgeport area. to put it briefly southern CT fans don't travel very far with their money because they don't have to. Would an on campus rink with the capacity you cite help SHU? Probably, but there are only so many hockey dollars to spend on Friday and Saturday nights around here. I think they made a mistake going to BPT due to the high concession prices as well. You also have to remember that Bobby Valentine is the SHU Athletic Director and has never won a thing wherever he has been.
                  Also from Southern ct. and I don't know who loses the battle between New Haven and Bport but neither can hold their head high. SHU doesn't do much to promote their hockey team. Other sports there get more local coverage. It's for others to figure out the economics, but a new campus rink would surely help the program. Rinks have sprung up left and right around here over the past decade just to keep up with youth hockey demand. Mark Messier coaches in Greenwich. Marty St. Louis has his kids playing. Hockey is big here. I don't think it's saturated. YALE is a long established product and they play in an iconic building. Look though what Quinnipiac has done. SHU could do it. If they have the will.

Comment

Also from Southern ct. and I don't know who loses the battle between New Haven and Bport but neither can hold their head high. SHU doesn't do much to promote their hockey team. Other sports there get more local coverage. It's for others to figure out the economics, but a new campus rink would surely help the program. Rinks have sprung up left and right around here over the past decade just to keep up with youth hockey demand. Mark Messier coaches in Greenwich. Marty St. Louis has his kids playing. Hockey is big here. I don't think it's saturated. YALE is a long established product and they play in an iconic building. Look though what Quinnipiac has done. SHU could do it. If they have the will.
                    Quinnipiac is a totally different animal than SHU with mucho dinero put behind that rink and program, not sure if SHU has those resources. I hate to say it but Fairfield county traffic can also be a bear on Friday nights. Most casual fans around here are surprised that SHU even plays D-1 Hockey. I am a rabid hockey fan and even on Yale's off nights and living five miles from the Milford Ice Pavillion, I have never been to an SHU game except for the upset of Yale at Harbor Yard a few years ago. I understand the whole mid Fairfield youth hockey explosion and the amount of players coming from the area, I just think the majority of the fans west of Bridgeport would rather take the train to a Ranger game.

http://sportzedge.com/2017/01/18/beh...er-bank-arena/
                    Last edited by LTsatch; 03-04-2017, 01:45 PM.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Quinnipiac is a totally different animal than SHU with mucho dinero put behind that rink and program, not sure if SHU has those resources. I hate to say it but Fairfield county traffic can also be a bear on Friday nights. Most casual fans around here are surprised that SHU even plays D-1 Hockey. I am a rabid hockey fan and even on Yale's off nights and living five miles from the Milford Ice Pavillion, I have never been to an SHU game except for the upset of Yale at Harbor Yard a few years ago. I understand the whole mid Fairfield youth hockey explosion and the amount of players coming from the area, I just think the majority of the fans west of Bridgeport would rather take the train to a Ranger game.

http://sportzedge.com/2017/01/18/beh...er-bank-arena/
                      Just happy some are posting about Pioneer hockey, even if it is about their challanges. I once thought of starting an SHU thread, but figured it would die with 1 post.

Comment

Just happy some are posting about Pioneer hockey, even if it is about their challanges. I once thought of starting an SHU thread, but figured it would die with 1 post.
                        Do they even know this site exists? Some of the fans were amazed how I was pulling up data on both SHU and Bentley's special teams during the game.

The other thing is how is how much is Atlantic Hockey's overall fanbase even engaged? I see RIT, Bentley, and a scatterings of others but they don't seem to have a real presence on here. Pretty much zero discussion on this thread by anyone else too.
                        Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

One more opportunity to snarf up that wonderful pizza at the JAR on Sunday evening.

Comment

One more opportunity to snarf up that wonderful pizza at the JAR on Sunday evening.
                            Yuck!

Nice, lively SHU crowd tonight. Tons of pressure late in the second where they could've gotten a couple and then tied it up early in the third but that was it. Bentley seemed to wake up during the second and it was a reversal of last night, taking over the game much like SHU did pretty much halfway through last night. Two pretty even teams that don't appear to care for each other that much.
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Well...RIP, the 2016-17 season. Proud of the team, proud of the fight they showed, proud of the progress we've made. Coach Lang and crew have AIC moving in the right direction. I'll get to call a home playoff game soon. Hopefully next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AICJacketsVoice View Post
                                Well...RIP, the 2016-17 season. Proud of the team, proud of the fight they showed, proud of the progress we've made. Coach Lang and crew have AIC moving in the right direction. I'll get to call a home playoff game soon. Hopefully next year.
                                Agreed, parity building in AHC. Will your AIC home games continue to be mostly on Tuesday and Thursday nights next season? How would AIC be able to host a home playoff weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X