Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

    NHL Network and TSN are reporting a story that LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi ripped Jack Johnson and Red Berenson and the University of Michigan in an interview with the LA Times. I just watched the report on the NHL Network and the commentators are supporting Red Berenson and the Michigan program. Here is the story from the TSN site

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307298
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


    Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

  • #2
    Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

    I already gave my full opinion on the Michigan thread, but Lombardi's quotes were shocking, inaccurate and venemous towards Berenson.

    And good for Johnson for sticking up for Michigan and Red. The kid is 100% right. Lombardi was unprofessional in his quotes.

    There is no place for any NHL GM to talk that way about one of the legendary coaches in college hockey. Ever.
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-22-2010, 11:49 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

      Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I already gave my full opinion on the Michigan thread, but Lombardi's quotes were shocking, inaccurate and venemous towards Berenson.

      There is no place for any NHL GM to talk that way about one of the legendary coaches in college hockey. Ever.
      Don't know what was worse....what Lombardi said or what Rangers Coach John Tortorella said to legendary news reporter Larry Brooks after the Rangers lost to 'Philly on Thursday. Both acts were classless and I hope both guys get axed ASAP by their respective teams.
      GO SAINTS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

        Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        Don't know what was worse....what Lombardi said or what Rangers Coach John Tortorella said to legendary news reporter Larry Brooks after the Rangers lost to 'Philly on Thursday. Both acts were classless and I hope both guys get axed ASAP by their respective teams.
        Torts and Brooks have a long-standing "feud". Nothing will come of that exchange.

        On the other hand, Lombardi has no business talking sh*t about Red Berenson.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

          Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
          Don't know what was worse....what Lombardi said or what Rangers Coach John Tortorella said to legendary news reporter Larry Brooks after the Rangers lost to 'Philly on Thursday. Both acts were classless and I hope both guys get axed ASAP by their respective teams.
          In watching the video, Gaborik's gloves came off first. With Avery there and now the whining, I'm starting to dislike the Rangers quite a bit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

            Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            I already gave my full opinion on the Michigan thread, but Lombardi's quotes were shocking, inaccurate and venemous towards Berenson.

            And good for Johnson for sticking up for Michigan and Red. The kid is 100% right. Lombardi was unprofessional in his quotes.

            There is no place for any NHL GM to talk that way about one of the legendary coaches in college hockey. Ever.
            What amazes me is that there seems to still be some of the "old guard" college players can't play in the NHL sentiment still in the ranks of the NHL. Obviously it is not like it was years ago, but there still seems to be some of it. Berenson and the school should sue him for those defamatory remarks.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

            DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

            DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

            MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


            Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

              Originally posted by du78 View Post
              What amazes me is that there seems to still be some of the "old guard" college players can't play in the NHL sentiment still in the ranks of the NHL. Obviously it is not like it was years ago, but there still seems to be some of it. Berenson and the school should sue him for those defamatory remarks.
              Lombardi is American and played college hockey himself at the DII level for Elmira College and U of New Haven. He has no business making remarks like that about Berenson, who is a legend at both the NHL and College level as a player and as a coach.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Lombardi is American and played college hockey himself at the DII level for Elmira College and U of New Haven. He has no business making remarks like that about Berenson, who is a legend at both the NHL and College level as a player and as a coach.
                Don't you think he is mad at Johnson for playing so poorly this year? Minus -19 or whatever it is.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                  Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Don't you think he is mad at Johnson for playing so poorly this year? Minus -19 or whatever it is.
                  If he's that mad, then why do they keep putting Johnson on the ice for 24 minutes per game? It's like, "Jack's terrible, so lets give him the second most ice time on the team!" Uh, okay...
                  Michigan Hockey Net
                  Follow MHNet on Twitter

                  NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

                  NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

                  "'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                    Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    What amazes me is that there seems to still be some of the "old guard" college players can't play in the NHL sentiment still in the ranks of the NHL. Obviously it is not like it was years ago, but there still seems to be some of it. Berenson and the school should sue him for those defamatory remarks.
                    he complimented Jack Parker (for some reason...). he didn't say 'college sux'.

                    Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    Lombardi is American and played college hockey himself at the DII level for Elmira College and U of New Haven. He has no business making remarks like that about Berenson, who is a legend at both the NHL and College level as a player and as a coach.
                    isn't he allowed to comment on development of players? much like people took sides with bobby bowden, just because you are a legend that doesn't necessarily mean you have a job until you die.

                    obviously i am not close to the michigan program to comment one way or the other if red (or bobby) still runs a tight ship. but if lombardi thinks he sees something and he is informed, why isn't he allowed to say it.

                    who's left to yell, "the emperor has no clothes" if we are all told to shut up?!?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                      Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Lombardi is American and played college hockey himself at the DII level for Elmira College and U of New Haven. He has no business making remarks like that about Berenson, who is a legend at both the NHL and College level as a player and as a coach.
                      I totally agree with you and I didn't know his background. What is interesting is that I have a cousin who played hockey at Elmira at about the same time Lombardi was there. I wonder if he knew him as Lombardi was only there for a year. As far as I am concerned Lombardi just burned his bridges with the college hockey community. I can only imagine what some of the Kings college draft picks are thinking right now.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                      DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                      DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                      MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


                      Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                        Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                        If he's that mad, then why do they keep putting Johnson on the ice for 24 minutes per game? It's like, "Jack's terrible, so lets give him the second most ice time on the team!" Uh, okay...
                        I agree. It is weird. Obviously, something is going on.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                          Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Don't you think he is mad at Johnson for playing so poorly this year? Minus -19 or whatever it is.
                          It doesn't matter. Criticize the player in private if you must.

                          And don't ever rip his college coach in the media. Berenson is a legend, who was a former NHL Coach of the Year before reviving the Michigan program where he starred as player. Berenson has won NCAA championships and likely turned out more NHL players than any coach in America as well as graduating hundreds of players from one of the finest universities in the world over the years. The man can not only win, coach, develop and graduate players, but he does it with integrity. Red has given more to hockey than most and did not deserve that asinine attack. To rip him like that was shameful.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                            Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            It doesn't matter. Criticize the player in private if you must.

                            And don't ever rip his college coach in the media. Berenson is a legend, who was a former NHL Coach of the Year before reviving the Michigan program where he starred as player. Berenson has won NCAA championships and likely turned out more NHL players than any coach in America as well as graduating hundreds of players from one of the finest universities in the world over the years. The man can not only win, coach, develop and graduate players, but he does it with integrity. Red has given more to hockey than most and did not deserve that asinine attack. To rip him like that was shameful.
                            I totally agree. Personally, I would never call out a player or coach in front of the media.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Dean Lombardi of LA Kings Rips Jack Johnson and Univ. of Michigan

                              Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              isn't he allowed to comment on development of players? much like people took sides with bobby bowden, just because you are a legend that doesn't necessarily mean you have a job until you die.

                              obviously i am not close to the michigan program to comment one way or the other if red (or bobby) still runs a tight ship. but if lombardi thinks he sees something and he is informed, why isn't he allowed to say it.

                              who's left to yell, "the emperor has no clothes" if we are all told to shut up?!?
                              He insinuates that all GMs in the NHL agree with him.

                              Bad form by this guy. Can't imagine what he was thinking. Extremely unprofessional and uncalled for.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X