Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    ...Even though how deeply a team goes in the playoffs is not supposed to be a consideration, I do believe some voters, especially those who might have been on the fence, will gravitate toward a player whose team makes a deep run. So it's likely that Butcher pulled in some votes because of that. And, of course, Northeastern is not exactly a brand name in the hockey world...
    In addition to the above, I also think ZAR's case got hurt in a major way when he was not selected as recipient of the Walter Brown Award as best American-born NCAA D1 player. (it went to Joe Gambardella - UML.) That, by itself, likely bled some votes away.

So, the situation we're left with is that the Hockey East Player of the Year (over JoeG) and a first team east All America somehow isn't worthy enough to win either the WBA or the Hobey. Strange world we live in.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

In addition to the above, I also think ZAR's case got hurt in a major way when he was not selected as recipient of the Walter Brown Award as best American-born NCAA D1 player. (it went to Joe Gambardella - UML.) That, by itself, likely bled some votes away.

So, the situation we're left with is that the Hockey East Player of the Year (over JoeG) and a first team east All America somehow isn't worthy enough to win either the WBA or the Hobey. Strange world we live in.
      ZAR deserved both...again I ask the question that the old farts @ the WBA should have asked...Gambardella...Kelleher...ZAR...you have one pick for your team...whom do you take?

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
        I'm not going to take anything away from this kid and his game but he's not making players around him better. He's not taking a team on his shoulders and leading them to the Promised Land. He's a good player surrounded by elite talent [B]under the tutelage of a talented coach [/B]- arguably the best in college hockey and who is going to one day succeed Jerry York.

ZAR went through 80% of the season without regular linemates and as much as I like Madigan...
        Will you elaborate, please? Is this your opinion, or do you have access to undisclosed information?
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          Will you elaborate, please? Is this your opinion, or do you have access to undisclosed information?
          I'm looking for the article but when Montgomery signed with the Pioneers I am pretty sure that the discussion involving the "outs" in the contract were any NHL offer...Notre Dame, Maine and BC...

I've heard some rumblings from my Ratbird connections that York may be moving on after his contract expires in 2020...

Comment

• think way things have gone for Montgomery, he might be in the nhl lot sooner than 2020. just a hunch.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              think way things have gone for Montgomery, he might be in the nhl lot sooner than 2020. just a hunch.
              His players would go to war for him.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8sk8m8 View Post
                i'm looking for the article but when montgomery signed with the pioneers i am pretty sure that the discussion involving the "outs" in the contract were any nhl offer...notre dame, maine and bc...

I've heard some rumblings from my ratbird connections that york may be moving on after his contract expires in 2020...
                hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.
                  He has close ties to both ND (coach) and Maine (player). Chalice, he worked at Notre Dame virtually for free...

Comment

The Walter Brown Award is voted on by a bunch of fools. They didn't nominate Colin Wilson in 2009 because they literally forgot to look and see that he was born in the USA. They also laughably gave the award to Vesey in 2015 over Eichel. I don't agree with Gambardella over ZAR whatsoever for this one, but I don't think it had much of an impact on the Hobey vote. I've been told on more than one occasion that in some circles the WBA isn't given as much credibility because the voters don't always have a clue and because they're a football-first organization. The Wilson nomination being a glaring example.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Any guesses as to who gets letters on their jerseys next season? Banquet on Thursday

My non-educated very much shot-in-the-dark guesses: Nolan gets the C, Gaudette/Sikura/Cockerill get the As.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

ZAR deserved both...again I ask the question that the old farts @ the WBA should have asked...Gambardella...Kelleher...ZAR...you have one pick for your team...whom do you take?
                        As you can tell from below, you predicted that ZAR could get screwed by an anti-Boston, anti-mediocre team bias, and I responded that ZAR and Vechionne could split the Northeast vote and somebody from out west could swoop in and steal it. This was back a few months ago. I wish we turned out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post

Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.

My Response:

Thanks for bringing up the other elements of his game. ZAR has more hits in an average game than the other kids have the entire season. He is fun to watch (and a beast to play against) even when he doesn't have the puck.

And, although he plays for a Boston team, he is not from Mass, like Vecchione and Kelleher. He's from the hockey hotbed of Staten Island, NY, land of NYC firefighters, NYC cops and NYC gangsters. But you raise a valid point. I wonder if these guys will split the Northeast vote and somebody from out west will swoop in and steal it.

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
                          As you can tell from below, you predicted that ZAR could get screwed by an anti-Boston, anti-mediocre team bias, and I responded that ZAR and Vechionne could split the Northeast vote and somebody from out west could swoop in and steal it. This was back a few months ago. I wish we turned out to be wrong.
                          The ultimate irony being that the "winner" isn't even the best player on that team.

Comment

He has close ties to both ND (coach) and Maine (player). Chalice, he worked at Notre Dame virtually for free...
                            If this is true, the AD at Maine must know this. What's holding them back from letting Red go and stealing Monty? Money? Seems like a no brainer, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              Any guesses as to who gets letters on their jerseys next season? Banquet on Thursday

My non-educated very much shot-in-the-dark guesses: Nolan gets the C, Gaudette/Sikura/Cockerill get the As.
                              I think that is the most likely scenario. In fact, I'd be shocked if that isn't what happens. Personally, I like the idea of giving a sophomore an "A" and grooming them to become a future captain. IIRC, it happened successfully with Vitale and McNeely and then not successfully with Bitetto and Karlsson who both left after their sophomore years. I also like d-men as captains. So I would give an "A" to either Shea or Davies, whoever fits better into that leadership role.
                              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

NU placed 3 players on the NHL CSS final rankings. Cayden Primeau #7 North American goalie, Neil Shea #173 North American skater, Zach Solow #183 North American skater.

I expect CP to be drafted in rounds 2-4, and Shea/Solow could sneak in at the end, rounds 6-7. NU has not had a freshman class without a drafted player since 2007-8.
                                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X