X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
    College Hockey News has Wisconsin ranked 4th in their preseason poll.
    I thought that had to be a typo...I went looking for the list expecting them to be 14th. Sure enough, CHN has Wisconsin at #4 LINK

Comment

To round out the rankings, the USA Today / USA Hockey Magazine has UW at 11 (Tied with UMD) going into the season LINK

Comment

Preseason rankings......4 is high, 12 is about right. Hayton is a big ++++ but losing Kunin is a big --. The question you have to ask your self is how many games would have UW won last year with Hayton? I bet he was worth 5 wins on last year's team.

They play 9 (only 2 are outside of the state) games before they play a team ranked higher than them, is 7-2 too much to expect?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Preseason rankings......4 is high, 12 is about right. Hayton is a big ++++ but losing Kunin is a big --. The question you have to ask your self is how many games would have UW won last year with Hayton? I bet he was worth 5 wins on last year's team.

They play 9 (only 2 are outside of the state) games before they play a team ranked higher than them, is 7-2 too much to expect?
          Agree with your analysis on the rankings plus Hayton's impact or potential impact.

I'm worried about scoring. I think the D will be improved by the new kids but who will step up and score 20 or more goals?
          Last edited by solovsfett; 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Agree with your analysis on the rankings plus Hayton's impact or potential impact.

I'm worried about scoring. I think the D will be improved by the new kind did but who will step up and score 20 or more goals?
            I worry about the offense with Donny moving on. I think the D and G will be improved.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              I worry about the offense with Donny moving on. I think the D and G will be improved.
              Yeah, that's the part that's been concerning me since Don left and we all read he was the one pushing for the more free wheeling style.

Hopefully Johnson, Malone and Frederic step up and maybe Weissbach and Dhoogee(sp?) can chip in with 15-20 points as frosh
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty high on the boys this year. 12 is too low. Barring incident (as always) I expect no less than a #2 seed.

If Hayton was worth 5 wins last year, the Badgers would have likely been #4-#6. I've been on hockey vacation, but I did watch a little video on him and he's really good. Could be the missing piece provided he makes a smooth transition. Of course goalies are weird. I like Berry as relief a lot too. He seems to have the right mindset to show up and take advantage of an opportunity.

Trent Frederick has put 10-15 pounds on his 'puny freshman' frame. What a beast. I am sky high on Trent as well. 20+ goals is a done deal. Could even make a Blake-like run at the Hobey. As the returning MVP there isn't anything he doesn't do for this team. Plus his demeanor is perfect. Like a pro.

Speaking of putting on pounds, I've always been very high on Hughes. Going to be a great leader, produce a lot of points, and he finally is now a real grown man-sized player. This is it. It's all going to pay off this year.

Two things I'm thinking about. One is how big these early non-conference games will be for all the B1G, and how last year all the early games were huge whistle fests. Hope Tony is working that Power play hard.

The second is, which Freshman if any, will crack the top six? It seems that Frederick, Hughes, and Malone will all center lines starting out (rather than making some sort of super line) Anxious to see the lines. I think we will have guys that can produce points sitting in the stands this year.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  The second is, which Freshman if any, will crack the top six? It seems that Frederick, Hughes, and Malone will all center lines starting out (rather than making some sort of super line) Anxious to see the lines. I think we will have guys that can produce points sitting in the stands this year.
                  I'll give lines a shot.

S Dhooghe-Fredric-Zimmer.......I want to get the wings off to a fast start. Zimmer has untapped offensive potential.
                  Johnson-Huges-Weissbach......I want the wings to off to a fast start.
                  Baker-Malone-Freytag......Freytag has untapped offensive potential, Baker can score
                  Ustaski-Wagner-Zirbel......Can Ustaski continue where he left off? Zirbel showed a lot of good in limited ice time.
                  Ford-Labosky-S Dhooghe......
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I'll give lines a shot.

S Dhooghe-Fredric-Zimmer.......I want to get the wings off to a fast start. Zimmer has untapped offensive potential.
                    Johnson-Huges-Weissbach......I want the wings to off to a fast start.
                    Baker-Malone-Freytag......Freytag has untapped offensive potential, Baker can score
                    Ustaski-Wagner-Zirbel......Can Ustaski continue where he left off? Zirbel showed a lot of good in limited ice time.
                    Ford-Labosky-S Dhooghe......
                    I can't see Ford not being in the lineup every night. Maybe we are that deep, but I don't see it. I always like his energy.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

A guy with 28 points last year on your 4th line?

Comment

17 games on TV this year. 14 on FSN.

Last edited by gwhinwi; 09-27-2017, 03:48 PM.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          A guy with 28 points last year on your 4th line?

Too many good players. What can we do...

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          I can't see Ford not being in the lineup every night. Maybe we are that deep, but I don't see it. I always like his energy.
                          I like Ford a lot myself. Tony does seem to like to balance his lines, not just up and down but across. Put a scorer on one wing and a guy that can play both ends, dig out the puck and get it back to the scorers on the other. (Burish... I think Burish had 20 something career goals at UW and 20 something in the NHL. But he was a hell of a player.) My theory is it's a holdover from Tony's time playing with Gretzky.

I don't know... Guys like Ford and Freytag could work their way in anywhere up and down the line up or not at all. Like Tim, I've always thought Freytag could probably score goals in a scorer's position.

To me Wagner should be a top six player that can score, but I guess it's in how it breaks down with the new guys.

Ustaski was up top last year... How about Ustaski -Frederick-Sean D? I like the aesthetic of 6'6"- 6"3"- 5'3"!
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            17 games on TV this year. 14 on FSN.

The game at BC is also on ESPN3 and there's still a chance that one or both games at Notre Dame will be on NBCSN. NBC owns the rights to ND home games.

Comment

My first week lines based on my two bigs and a small top line.

Ustaski - Frederic - S. Dhooghe

Wagner - Hughes - Weisbach

Zimmer - Malone - Johnson

Baker/Zirbel - Ford -Freytag

Linhart/Tischke

Davison/Greenway

Kalynuk/Inamoto

Ford could play center or wing. I'm undecided but I suppose I'd give Zirbel the start at C with Ford on the wing. I haven't a clue really... I think the only surprise to me would be if Linhart/Tishcke weren't the top pairing.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                My first week lines based on my two bigs and a small top line.

Ustaski - Frederic - S. Dhooghe

Wagner - Hughes - Weisbach

Zimmer - Malone - Johnson

Baker/Zirbel - Ford -Freytag

Linhart/Tischke

Davison/Greenway

Kalynuk/Inamoto

Ford could play center or wing. I'm undecided but I suppose I'd give Zirbel the start at C with Ford on the wing. I haven't a clue really... I think the only surprise to me would be if Linhart/Tishcke weren't the top pairing.
                                I'd say Baker is a lock to be in the line up. Ustaski is more of a 4th liner in my opinion. Davison and Ess will split the final D-man spot. Wouldn't be surprised to see Linhart take either Kalynuk or Inamoto and Tischke to take the other. A Davison and Greenway pairing would be a big turnover concern.
                                WISCONSIN BADGERS
                                NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                                WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                                WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                                B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                                Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Working...
                                X