This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Let's take a quick look at the numbers. Early in the season they don't count for too much, but let's have some fun...

UW - 5-2-0 (1-1-0-0) 1T BIG
    USCHO Poll - #5
    PWR - #5
    RPI - #5
    Team O - 3.57 - 6T
    Team D - 2.14 - 11
    PP - 5/27 18.52 - 26T
    PK - 27/32 84.4 - 19

St Lawrence - 0-6-0 (0-0-0) ECAC season not started
    USCHO Poll - not receiving votes
    PWR - #53
    RPI - #53
    Team O - 1.5 - 54
    Team D - 4.33 - 51
    PP - 4/27 14.81 - 38T
    PK - 25/33 75.8 - 37

On paper it looks like a no-brainer...One team has been playing well, the other hasn't.

Of teams that have played (the 6 Ivy teams have not started yet), only St Lawrence has lost all of their games. Other teams are without wins, but they have managed to get some ties.

Looking slightly deeper than just the records, you can see that St Lawrence has played a ridiculous opening slate and has been close in a lot of the games.
    Michigan - 3-1
    (10) Penn State - 4-1
    @(8) NoDak - 2-1
    @(8) NoDak - 6-1
    (10) Providence - 6-5 (OT)
    (19) UML - 5-0

They seem to play close on Fridays and then get lit up on Saturdays. Maybe the emotional toll of the close games wears them down. Two game were blowouts, both on Saturdays after close losses on a Friday (Tied after 2 with UND, down 4-5 after 2 vs Providence).

They have also been playing a typical "east coast" schedule with 5 opponents in the first 6 games, so they haven't had a chance to play a team and then make adjustments for a second game.

I think the key is going to be a fast start on Friday night. Set the tone early and stay ahead of them. St Lawrence has shown that they can come back against teams, just not quite all of the way to get the W.

If UW gets to the 3rd period and is up 1 or 2 and goes back into the MM "prevent" mode, things could get messy.

And you also have to consider the extra emotion involved with coming to Madison, to play in one of the largest buildings in NCAA Ice Hockey, and seeing your former teammate in the opposite crease.

I think Friday will be way closer than it should be. UW up 2-0 after 1, UW up 4-1 after 2, UW wins 5-3 with an empty net goal after St Lawrence scores 2 late goals to make it close.
    Saturday should be a different story, UW wins 6-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
      My guide on DirecTV shows Clarkson and Minnesota on Fsn-wi tonight. I really hope that is an error in the guide.
      Fox Sports website also shows Clarkson at Minny.
      https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/...n-at-minnesota

But you could be able to get the game on BTN2Go
      https://www.btn2go.com/game/st-lawre...in-on-10272017
      Last edited by KaMiGo; 10-27-2017, 04:27 PM. Reason: BTN2Go

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
        Fox Sports website also shows Clarkson at Minny.
        https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/...n-at-minnesota

But you could be able to get the game on BTN2Go
        https://www.btn2go.com/game/st-lawre...in-on-10272017
        Badger Hockey twitter confirms game will be on FSN

Comment

Scratch Weissbach tonight. Matthew Freytag in with Ford and J. Dhooghe.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Innova View Post
            My guide on DirecTV shows Clarkson and Minnesota on Fsn-wi tonight. I really hope that is an error in the guide.
            It better be. I set the DVR this afternoon thinking it was a mistake. Who on FOX WISCONSIN wants to watch the Goofs when Wisconsin should be on FOX WI?
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Good start to the broadcast.

They put "Adam Burish" under Winchester.

Then they go down to Briphy (?) and the audio doesn't work.

Of course I'm just happy it's on.

Comment

Holy crap. There were more people at some of my kid's high school games last year.

No exaggeration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Holy crap. There were more people at some of my kid's high school games last year.

No exaggeration.
                  No schitt....nobody here. Getting depressing.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    The production value of this broadcast is equally impressive.

Comment

MCR Jr texted me and said there's nobody at Marriucci either. Man, this ****in' place is quiet and boring.

Edit: Pretty much what we expected tonight, but maybe a few more goals. Probably the worst turnover I've ever seen on SLU's first goal.

I know it's still early, but I'm beginning to realize how wrong I may have been when I thought the attendance would return this fall. I honestly think actual "butts in the seats" is below last year. Disturbing.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-27-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Attendance is definitely worse which is why some of us were sounding the alarm so loudly in the past few years.

Of course the apologists didn't want to hear it.

Well here we are. Number 5 in the nation and maybe 2000 people there.

Eaves quit trying for the last 5 years or so and Barry couldn't be bothered until the damage was irreversible.

It will never again be what it was.

In other news, not pretty, but a win is a win.

Comment

I'm going next Friday and I won't be surprised if we are outnumbered by the northern mouth breathers.

Comment

MCR Jr texted me and said there's nobody at Marriucci either. Man, this ****in' place is quiet and boring.

Edit: Pretty much what we expected tonight, but maybe a few more goals. Probably the worst turnover I've ever seen on SLU's first goal.

I know it's still early, but I'm beginning to realize how wrong I may have been when I thought the attendance would return this fall. I honestly think actual "butts in the seats" is below last year. Disturbing.
                            Yup, it's not like Maple Leafs fans waiting for the team to get good to get back into it. You have to be really plugged in to UW athletics to know anything about UW hockey, but it's the large presense of casual fans on top of the diehards that makes a sport a "major" sport. It's also what makes people actually compelled by the whole "Hayton and #5 Badgers against his former team" thing. And of course, new fans are seeing a bunch of games where this OSU-type of crowd looks normal, so that's what "Wisconsin Badgers Hockey" and "NCAA D-I hockey" are.

That's why I was so disappointed when they released the schedule to see so many home games in the early part of the season.

As for students, it's mostly the select few who are into hockey enough to seek it out. It's very rare these days for a student to just get sucked into it, unless they have a close friend obsessed with college hockey. Even back in my day (yes, that is a silly phrase for me to say on this board) students who weren't big UW hockey fans knew it was a big deal and had next-level energy. It had a presense. Now, students who become college hockey fans do it in spite of UW, because they won't get the perception that it's a big deal, the way new and prospective students get "omg you have to go to a football game" every step they take.

Just look at the @UWMadison twitter feed, and look for sports related stuff. Hockey does not exist to them. That's similar to what people get on campus. Consequently, seeing #5 Badgers beating somebody on the Badger Rewind at other games triggers about the same reaction as people who may be happy to see, for example, one of the soccer teams doing well, despite not really following that team. Of course, there are many who wear their hockey jerseys to everything to help put a little bit. It makes me smile when I see those, especially the newer jerseys. It gives me some hope.

When the team was #3 preseason in 2013-14 and attendance continued to fall off a cliff - and nobody more than a block from the Kohl Center seemed to care - I was worried it was going to die, because the team wasn't really promoted very much, and the fan base was deteriorating despite on-ice success, which is absolutely insane. The size of the task of building a culture of fandom on campus and in the Madison area became so large.

So yeah. It'll probably take a Frozen Four run in addition to intense promotion to see 10K+ crowds for opponents like St Lawrence and/or for fall games. As I said before, compelling storylines to us (like this weekend) don't mean anything to people who aren't already big fans.

Comment

That's a nice post and I appreciate you, but even the "BIG" fans no longer care enough to show up.

There used to be 9000 BIG fans. You couldn't get into the Coliseum when I first moved to Madison.

10K at the Kohl was a sparse crowd circa 2007.

It's likely gone for good as we knew it.

People (including me) found other things to do, be a part of and be interested in.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-27-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• On a more positive note (not that I disagree with anything that was said), Ryan Wagner made Sportcenter with his goal tonight...

Comment

Working...
                                X