X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2009-2010

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
    The women's hockey team plays at 3:30 against Dartmouth at Starr Rink (which is why you have a later face-off for the men's game combined with Tony Blair's speech) while the women's soccer team hosts Bucknell at 4:00. If the women's soccer team wins, they'll host the Patriot League tournament the following weekend.
    GR, thanks for the info. 100% chance of rain tomorrow, so the women's hockey game looks like a good possibility after the drenching at the Kerrdome.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Disappointed with tonight's effort vs. Army.

We've scored at least 3 goals in 4 of our 6 games, but have only won once. Offense seems to be clicking, but defense and goaltending is atrocious. Growing pains indeed. Yes, I'm aware 3 of our 6 d-men are frosh, but Alex Evin, after 2 great games vs. RIT and UNO, has given up 9 goals in 125 minutes of play vs. UML and Army. I had high hopes for him based on his performance in juniors, but has only impressed me 3 times since he became a Raider. Seriously, we could not defeat a winless team nor hold a lead against them 4 times in the game.

We need to get the kinks out tomorrow night. Niagara will be buzzing, coming off an OT loss to Cornell. If we keep playing like this, we will be finding ourselves in the bottom 4 of the standings come February.
      Colgate '09

Comment

Maybe we should stabilize the D and goalies a la Jim Tracy. It may be baseball, but the Rockies went from 18-28 to 74-38 after Tracy took over and stabilized the line up or something like that. That's coaching.

Comment

That was plain ugly... (nothing against you, GRadio - good call of the game). I sensed even you were witnessing a really lackluster effort on the Raiders' part....especially the D.

Wonder if we'll break our record of 19 ties this season...

Is there anything left in the tank for tonight? Hope DV had a *good* talk with the kids in the locker room. Is it time to bring Long back?

Comment

Bessette should play tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalanche33 View Post
              Anyone else having fun trying to get the All-Access
              The anthems just ended here!
              The video was fixed for the third. On a positive note we were able to finally hear the complete radio internet show, including the coaches comments. Thanks to gate Radio for helping out with this!

Comment

Happy Halloween!

Didn't get to see all of the Colgate-Niagara game (and the Lehigh football game) because I had to work today but happy to see both teams get the "W". Tried watching the video for some of the hockey game but it kept freezing every 5 seconds -- I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about my subscription to All-Access.

But thankfully we got the kinks out against Niagara ... well, most of them. We gave up another "cardinal sin" shorthanded goal, but Long stopped 18 of 20 shots, we only allowed 2 goals, scored a PP goal, and dominated the 3rd period. With league play starting next week, this is a good sign. However, we cannot fall victim to the November slump that has plagued us the past 3 years:

November 2006: 2-5-1 (1-4-1 in ECAC games)
                November 2007: 2-4-2 (1-3-2 ECAC)
                November 2008: 1-5-2 (1-3-2 ECAC)

We're surprisingly an even .500 so far, winning the league games will certainly give us an edge.

P.S. Army defeated RPI 2-1 in Troy. Now I don't feel so disappointed about last night's tie.
                Last edited by Rainman; 10-31-2009, 09:53 PM.
                Colgate '09

Comment

Looking at the boxscore this morning ... attendance was 583 for last night? I guess students were more interested in seeing a former prime minister speak and doing Halloween stuff than watch a hockey game. Maybe a new rink is needed to promote attendance, but with a tough economic situation we've had in the past year, it'll probably be a few years down the road.

I'm guessing Silver Puck weekend is next weekend, as the Dartmouth game is scheduled to be a 4 PM start.
                  Colgate '09

Comment

OK...The real ECAC games start now. Despite growing pains there really are some positives. In our two losses UNO and Mass Lowell, we were right there until halfway thru the third period. Mass Lowell is ranked #9 in the nation and beat Boston Univ last night. UNO is what,#12 ?? Not bad ! We played basically even with two very good teams.

Another Major pos is that were getting scoring from diff places, including our frosh. We scored eight goals over the weekend(including a PP goal) and the penalty kill was ok. I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. We need to find some consistency and get off to a strong start for November. Would be so great to beat Harvard and Dartmouth this weekend !
                    Last edited by sshablak; 11-01-2009, 08:51 AM.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Nice win against Niagara. Good job against a team they've already faced and they know is a tough out. Austin Smith gets on the scoresheet, it's only a matter of time before McIntyre breaks out as well

Rainman is right about not falling into a hole early in the ECAC slate. Harvard and Dartmouth will be good tests, but I think we've got a good shot against both. Here's to showing up for the alumni on SilverPuck
                      ECAC Champions: 1990
                      NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                      ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                      NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                      Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                        Looking at the boxscore this morning ... attendance was 583 for last night? I guess students were more interested in seeing a former prime minister speak and doing Halloween stuff than watch a hockey game.
                        Surprised the attendance was that low. Gate Radio said over 200 folks came down from the Utica area to see one of the Niagara players, so that doesn't sound like many locals/students showed up...

Maybe it's good we catch Harvard and Dartmouth at the beginning of their seasons, with some games under our belt. I'm sure they will both be right near the top by the end of the campaign. The Crimson have a couple of high draft choices of the Canadians, so it should be a really good test. Nice to see us finish strong last night - something we haven't been able to do lately..including last year.

Good interview of Winch, GR!

Comment

Army's Andy Starczewski, from Whitesboro up around Oneida, had 213 tickets or so for Friday night. Saturday's crowd was sparse at best. The "student section" where the band was looked like it was packed together with kids but the Raider Nation crowd and the end zone seats were pretty thin with people. Chairback section looked like it normally does, around 2/3 full.

Hopefully between the opening conference weekend, not a lot going on with other home sports this weekend and Silver Puck will mean a decent crowd as we wrap up this current five-game home stand with Harvard and Dartmouth.

Comment

Whitesboro's a suburb of Utica where Rob Esche and Mark Mowers played.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Just looked at Harvard's roster. They dressed 7 freshmen and 6 sophomores Friday night at Dartmouth, and all 5 goals were scored by either a frosh or soph in their 5-3 win. So you think we're young? Harvard's just as young. Counting the exhibitions, we've played 9 games, Harvard's played 2. We've had enough warm-ups. We'll be at home Friday night. No excuses. Go out and win the game.

Comment

Agreed, Magoo..

We should be able to pull this off: Silver Puck W/E, home games, catching Harvard/Big Green early in their seasons.....yeah, it's doable. I'm just worried about the two Montreal draft picks...

Hope the seats are filled for both games.

Comment

Working...
                                X