Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

    Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
    Gosh-darnit, brassbonanza is the only one of you on here talking any sense.

    BU failed to put their chances in the net.
    So what was wrong with what I said at the game last night? Did I not say that at the time?

    Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Plus they've missed about three open nets that Woll had nothing to do with.

    Comment


    • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

      Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      That was a legal faceoff play
      Respectfully disagree. Here's an extract of the applicable rule:

      Extract
      Rule 67 - Delaying the Game
      67.1
      A player, other than the goalkeeper, shall not deliberately fall on or gather
      a puck into the body… any use of hands to make the puck unplayable should be
      penalized promptly.
      PENALTY—Minor.

      Unless I was watching fake news, RFitz clearly used his hands to gather the puck into his body and otherwise make the puck unplayable. It's a penalty. Period. As for the fact that, had a penalty been assessed, there would be only ~6 ticks left is irrelevant. I have personally seen a GWG scored directly from a puck drop with only one second left. So never say never.

      WRT the final buzzer kerfluffle: Everything on both sides amounted to little more than pushy-shovy. Infractions that occur after the final buzzer that do not warrant DQs are moot and are typically not even assessed. But what Hickey did was was nothing less than face-planting CFitz into the ice. What he did went well beyond everything else that happened and could have been viewed as an attempt to injure, which carries a DQ.

      All of that being said, I'm not unhappy to see some venom injected back into a series that IMO has come to resemble gentlemen's croquet matches between two rich guy country clubs.
      Last edited by Split-N; 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

      Comment


      • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

        Don't have time to read through all the blah blah blah, but I'm really souring on Quinn. Much like Parker, its getting to be a pattern with him where he brings a more talented team into a big game and they simply get outworked by an opponent that wants it more. Terrible trend. The guy can recruit. His in game coaching is starting to make up for that on the other end.

        Second, can we go one elimination contest without our goalie giving up multiple stupid goals? Yes, the team should have rallied after the first softie and after the second, but even if they were trying last night (and they weren't) he still put them behind the 8 ball. Great if he plays well early in the season but this is money time right now and both those goals were terrible. I rarely notice our opponents goalies returning the favor for us.

        Lastly, is there a reason why Quinn can't tell Greenway you either play not more than 5 feet away from the front of the goal or you're on the bench? Even the announcers were picking up on that last night repeatedly and they're correct. What exactly is the reason why that's not happening?
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

        Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

        "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Respectfully disagree. Here's an extract of the applicable rule:

          Extract
          Rule 67 - Delaying the Game
          67.1
          A player, other than the goalkeeper, shall not deliberately fall on or gather
          a puck into the body… any use of hands to make the puck unplayable should be
          penalized promptly.
          PENALTY—Minor.
          Yeah but did Billy Jaffe write that rule? If not it doesn't matter.



          Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          As for the fact that, had a penalty been assessed, there would be only ~6 ticks left is irrelevant. I have personally seen a GWG scored directly from a puck drop with only one second left. So never say never.
          Nah 6 seconds isn't enough. Never happened. Especially not in college hockey. And definitely not in a BU-BC game at the garden.

          https://youtu.be/ZLm-t90hRB0

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            All of that being said, I'm not unhappy to see some venom injected back into a series that IMO has come to resemble gentlemen's croquet matches between two rich guy country clubs.
            As someone who can't stand either school but loves college hockey, I agree with this. Much like Red Sox/Yankees, it's gotten kind of stale. Who would have thought a semifinal featuring BC/BU would be the least attended semi since '06?
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS


            MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Don't have time to read through all the blah blah blah, but I'm really souring on Quinn. Much like Parker, its getting to be a pattern with him where he brings a more talented team into a big game and they simply get outworked by an opponent that wants it more. Terrible trend. The guy can recruit. His in game coaching is starting to make up for that on the other end.

              Second, can we go one elimination contest without our goalie giving up multiple stupid goals? Yes, the team should have rallied after the first softie and after the second, but even if they were trying last night (and they weren't) he still put them behind the 8 ball. Great if he plays well early in the season but this is money time right now and both those goals were terrible. I rarely notice our opponents goalies returning the favor for us.

              Lastly, is there a reason why Quinn can't tell Greenway you either play not more than 5 feet away from the front of the goal or you're on the bench? Even the announcers were picking up on that last night repeatedly and they're correct. What exactly is the reason why that's not happening?
              BU reminds me of a summer all star youth team full of studs that all play center and they go out and lose because they don't play like a team but rather a bunch of spoiled individuals. BU recruits the big name kids and gets a lot of them - that doesn't equate to recruiting a good TEAM.

              Comment


              • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

                Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Looking back at the goals I also think 5 for BU got beat on the 2nd goal. Looked like he should have been able to win that battle. He may have but then made a brutal decision with the puck. 3rd goal...not sure what the hell you guys were doing there. Total chaos. Ultimately keller pokes it out into no man's land and you're left scrambling after that.
                Krys did get turned around on that play and it lead to the rush. He's been playing extremely well over the past month or two so that's uncharacteristic of him. The 3rd goal was the result of BU once again coming out flustered and confused in the third period and that play was indicative of that, they played hot potato with the puck behind the net, didn't know what to do with it when it was on their stick. A BC player comes toward them and they make a knee-jerk play and throw the puck somewhere, eventually it ends up on a BC stick and its passed to an open man on the doorstep. @defkit, apparently the first goal was off Hickey's stick hence why it seemed to handcuff Oettinger.

                BC won because they capitalized on their opportunities. BU certainly had more grade A chances, both literally and figuratively, but did not cash them in. Woll was spectacular for 58 minutes and we couldn't buy a bounce to save our lives.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                Comment


                • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

                  Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                  ...Nah 6 seconds isn't enough. Never happened. Especially not in college hockey. And definitely not in a BU-BC game at the garden.
                  https://youtu.be/ZLm-t90hRB0
                  Ooooh! Look at all the people!
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                  Comment


                  • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

                    Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                    Yeah but did Billy Jaffe write that rule? If not it doesn't matter.





                    Nah 6 seconds isn't enough. Never happened. Especially not in college hockey. And definitely not in a BU-BC game at the garden.

                    https://youtu.be/ZLm-t90hRB0
                    6 seconds isn't enough when one side is going to do everything it can to tie up the faceoff at all costs.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                    Comment


                    • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

                      Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Ooooh! Look at all the people!
                      touchdown cory!!!!!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                      Comment


                      • Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

                        I don't really care, but after watching the last few minutes again today, I'm fairly certain that Greenway never touched the puck on the first BU goal. After it slid in the crease, Greenway pushed his stick towards the puck, but it actually pushed on Moore's (#7) stick which pushed the puck towards the net. The puck might have hit Greenway's skate before it got to the sticks, but I don't think so.

                        As the last three minutes played out, I had a flashback to the Super Bowl, standing in the same spot in front of the TV, trying not to get too excited, realizing that there were still more plays that had to go our way. When Keller had the chance in close to tie it, I was ready to let loose. Alas, it was not to be.

                        There is truth to the fact the BU had numerous outstanding chances to score, and so Woll deserves a lot of credit. It's how the BC goals were scored, and how bad BU looked in the second period that leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. That SHG was embarrassing - Three BU guys behind the play, while the BC guys skate their butt off and get a goal.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X