Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

First period, after that we played with them but they definitely got some puck luck in the first and we gave them at least one goal on poor play around our own net, Angus has got to get better at his situational awareness behind his net. I think nerves got us in the first, once we settled down it was a good game. Overall though I can see why Denver is the #1 team, very fast and very good with the puck.

Overall can't complain too​ much, thanks for the season and the tournament appearance! Can't wait for next season already.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Agree with most sentiments - a shame the seniors have to go out like this but I'm extremely encouraged by the underclassmen.

I hate to say they had the yips - at times in the first they looked strong! Very strong! I do think the stage bit them a bit. After that, it looked more like the tech I've watched all year.

Another year of experience will help Redmond, especially with his puck handling. This must be an emphasis. Outside of that, I think he is strong.

In conference,I'm excited. I hate to be the "next year" guy

Regardless, I love the huskies, love what they do for the school, love the attitude Mel and the player put forward,and,even if it seems insurmountable, even in this environment, I have zero doubt in their ability to bring home a frozen four / national championship.

We love you Tech. Keep it up.
      In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
        Agree with most sentiments - a shame the seniors have to go out like this but I'm extremely encouraged by the underclassmen.

I hate to say they had the yips - at times in the first they looked strong! Very strong! I do think the stage bit them a bit. After that, it looked more like the tech I've watched all year.

Another year of experience will help Redmond, especially with his puck handling. This must be an emphasis. Outside of that, I think he is strong.

In conference,I'm excited. I hate to be the "next year" guy

Regardless, I love the huskies, love what they do for the school, love the attitude Mel and the player put forward,and,even if it seems insurmountable, even in this environment, I have zero doubt in their ability to bring home a frozen four / national championship.

We love you Tech. Keep it up.
        100% this.

Comment

Sorry, y'all.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Turns out it's still fun to re-watch the Broadmoor highlights. This team had a great second half after I nearly gave up on them.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Could have been worse, we at least did better than Union.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Turns out it's still fun to re-watch the Broadmoor highlights. This team had a great second half after I nearly gave up on them.
                I feel you here, I know I get way down on the team sometimes, but I absolutely have nothing negative to say about how they finished the season, they gave every last bit of effort they had and I couldn't ask for more. There's nothing to for any player to hang their heads about, they faced some adversity and tough times but when it got important, they brought their A game, extremely proud of this team and this senior class and most of all, always proud to be a Husky!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slava View Post
                  Great season Boys! Stick around Mel!
                  I hope he comes back. Odds have to be against us. 😔

Comment

I was at the game and I don't agree with the nerves thing. I thought we came out as good as we could, but losing Neville at the beginning hurt, we had a lot of trouble winning face-offs early and that hurt,( can't remember a face-off in the first period we won) the offensive zone penalties were not smart, though I thought they were not really deserved, and I don't think we were ready for how quick the denver guys were. They just did real well picking the puck out of thin air, using their feet, or sticks, to batt what were pucks normally we'd wind up with. So we were on our heels and the penalties killed us. denver was able to do what they do, turn the puck around and come back at us. They also got to loose pucks real quick and we struggled with their forecheck early.
                    as the game went on though, we did a lot better on face-offs, we were able to come out of the zone better, and we were able to play in their zone more, despite the forecheck. That was all good, but you can't shoot it in your own net, and win. You would have thought he would have learned the last time he did it.
                    Anyway, looking at the other teams in this regional, I don't think Denver will have any trouble with PSU. Both Union and PSU left a lot of defensive responsibilities undone. They left early all the time, they left guys all alone in front routinely. Both of them played real offensive but more like pond hockey rather than great, disciplined winning, college hockey. The forecheck was easily dealt with and overall , though it was entertaining, I didn't think it was very good.
                    I will give PSU kudos in one regard. Their strength and conditioning coach is doing wonders with them, in that when they get to overtime they do not seem to get tired. They still have gas in the tank and they keep pushing it. No, todays game obviously didn't go OT, but they were very fresh and watching them the other day they really had an advantage at the end.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Also after hearing so much about Union, I was left thinking, " that's all you got?"
                      the second game was much better referred than the first if you ask me.

Comment

Also, I want to add, thank you Seniors, for all your hard, hard work, and your dedication. good luck going forward. I thought the misfits were real classy in the last minute chanting " thank you , huskies"

Comment

I was really impressed with the way Tech kept fighting in the game today, they showed a lot of heart and grit. Hopefully Mel Pearson sticks around as I think he's building something really special in Houghton.

Congratulations on a fantastic season.
                          Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I was at the game and I don't agree with the nerves thing. I thought we came out as good as we could, but losing Neville at the beginning hurt, we had a lot of trouble winning face-offs early and that hurt,( can't remember a face-off in the first period we won) the offensive zone penalties were not smart, though I thought they were not really deserved, and I don't think we were ready for how quick the denver guys were. They just did real well picking the puck out of thin air, using their feet, or sticks, to batt what were pucks normally we'd wind up with. So we were on our heels and the penalties killed us. denver was able to do what they do, turn the puck around and come back at us. They also got to loose pucks real quick and we struggled with their forecheck early.
                            as the game went on though, we did a lot better on face-offs, we were able to come out of the zone better, and we were able to play in their zone more, despite the forecheck. That was all good, but you can't shoot it in your own net, and win. You would have thought he would have learned the last time he did it.
                            Anyway, looking at the other teams in this regional, I don't think Denver will have any trouble with PSU. Both Union and PSU left a lot of defensive responsibilities undone. They left early all the time, they left guys all alone in front routinely. Both of them played real offensive but more like pond hockey rather than great, disciplined winning, college hockey. The forecheck was easily dealt with and overall , though it was entertaining, I didn't think it was very good.
                            I will give PSU kudos in one regard. Their strength and conditioning coach is doing wonders with them, in that when they get to overtime they do not seem to get tired. They still have gas in the tank and they keep pushing it. No, todays game obviously didn't go OT, but they were very fresh and watching them the other day they really had an advantage at the end.
                            The wife and I were at the game as well. I have to agree with you, I think we came out strong the first couple of minutes. Giving up two quick goals on the PK just seemed to change the whole game. And the third goal was a killer. I think the goaltenders puck handling/decision making needs to be a point of emphasis this off season. The fourth goal was a heck of a deflection, unfortunately for Auk it was in the wrong net.. As Coach said everything that could go wrong went wrong in the 1st period. But the guys didn't quit, played their hearts out for some respect in the 2nd and 3rd. Go Huskies! On to the off season.

Loved the Let's Go Huskies chant as time ran down, and the Thank you, Huskies as the team headed off the ice. Best (and classiest) fans in college sports <3

I really thought Union had a better shot at taking PSU.... Holy smokes.. Never saw a 10-3 score coming.. Denver v. PSU should be a good one.
                            Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I don't remember what thread the discussion was in, but if the poster who questioned how many Tech fans would show up in Cincinnati reads this, I hope you enjoy your nice big cup of shut the F up.

I'd put the number around at least 2000. And that only counts the obvious apparel wearers. They were magnificent.
                              Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                I don't remember what thread the discussion was in, but if the poster who questioned how many Tech fans would show up in Cincinnati reads this, I hope you enjoy your nice big cup of shut the ******* up.

I'd put the number around at least 2000. And that only counts the obvious apparel wearers. They were magnificent.
                                I remember those posts as well... It was an Awesome crowd. Proud to have been a part of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X