Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    They're poorly paid or not at all, so the chances are that they just didn't spend any time on it. It is disappointing, though. It's a slip from the days when I wrote here.

GFM
    they are poorly paid is right.! And it's difficult enough to make a living, without working and giving time you can't afford to give. I think a lot of people mistakenly feel journalist get paid well when in reality they do not.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      they are poorly paid is right.! And it's difficult enough to make a living, without working and giving time you can't afford to give. I think a lot of people mistakenly feel journalist get paid well when in reality they do not.
      Not to mention those of us who do it as a labor of love with no pay.
      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
        Yup. I threatened to dock UAHstatman's pay, and he laughed...

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
          Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I definitely understand that, I work with a guy who went to school for journalism and worked as a journalist for a few years after, basically had to quit the field because he didn't make nearly enough.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

So, I decided to bite the bullet and I booked a flight, car and hotel for Cincinnati. I'll only be able to make the Saturday game, after all last week off and Monday off I can't afford to take more vacation time at the moment, so if we make the regional championship this will be tough, but also awesome.

Comment

And I ordered my ticket for the game, from what the Ticketmaster rep said it was the last ticket in section 128.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                97% of all CHN brackets at one point had DU winning over MTU.
                Good chance 75% of those people have seen neither DU nor MTU play all season. They look at the bracket and see #16 and #1 and pick the #1 seed.

Count me in the 3% crowd. I've seen both teams play in person this season and it is a game Tech can win if they play up to their ability level and avoid dumb mistakes / penalties. Hockey is a game of a few bounces one way or ther other and a couple key saves to determine the winner most games. If Tech and DU played 10 times, DU might win 9, but then that one game, Tech wins.

Tech has been playing playoff hockey for over a month and kept coming out on top. What's DU been playing for the last month? They couldn't even win their own conference tourney. As the picks show, everyone expects DU to win. No one expects Tech to win. Anything short of a championship will be a failure for DU. Tech gets the role of the ultimate underdog, ranked even below Air Force coming into the tourney. Who do you think will be feeling the pressure tomorrow?

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I have not seen DU play this year, but find this interesting. The DU ice crew/Zamboni drivers have post signs around the arena reading " From here on in you are only 60 minutes from elimination. Every shift, Every play, Every minute Matters!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Good chance 75% of those people have seen neither DU nor MTU play all season. They look at the bracket and see #16 and #1 and pick the #1 seed.

Count me in the 3% crowd. I've seen both teams play in person this season and it is a game Tech can win if they play up to their ability level and avoid dumb mistakes / penalties. Hockey is a game of a few bounces one way or ther other and a couple key saves to determine the winner most games. If Tech and DU played 10 times, DU might win 9, but then that one game, Tech wins.

Tech has been playing playoff hockey for over a month and kept coming out on top. What's DU been playing for the last month? They couldn't even win their own conference tourney. As the picks show, everyone expects DU to win. No one expects Tech to win. Anything short of a championship will be a failure for DU. Tech gets the role of the ultimate underdog, ranked even below Air Force coming into the tourney. Who do you think will be feeling the pressure tomorrow?

Ryan J
                    Your stat of the day.

Since November 27th, Denver has played 26 games. Only 8 of those games have been against teams with a winning record, and in those they went 3-4-1. In fact, before beating WMU in the Nacho consolation game, the last time the Pioneers beat a team with a winning record was on January 14 when they won at WMU.

Translation? They've been getting fat and sassy playing subpar teams. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them and they are a quality team - but the idea that they are ready to roll through the tournament is misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Your stat of the day.

Since November 27th, Denver has played 26 games. Only 8 of those games have been against teams with a winning record, and in those they went 3-4-1. In fact, before beating WMU in the Nacho consolation game, the last time the Pioneers beat a team with a winning record was on January 14 when they won at WMU.

Translation? They've been getting fat and sassy playing subpar teams. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them and they are a quality team - but the idea that they are ready to roll through the tournament is misguided.
                      I certainly wish you luck against DU, but, FWIW, Denver's SOS (per KRACH) is 8th. From what I've seen in college hockey this season (which admittedly has skewed heavily towards the NCHC), Denver has been the best team.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        I certainly wish you luck against DU, but, FWIW, Denver's SOS (per KRACH) is 8th. From what I've seen in college hockey this season (which admittedly has skewed heavily towards the NCHC), Denver has been the best team.
                        Of course I have to agree with the SOS per KRACH, but their overall schedule is heavily skewed to the front half. They played 9 games against teams in the NCAA field in their first 14, and only 6 after that. I've seen both UMD and Denver in person and I think it's a toss-up which one I'd consider to be the better of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Now stop that with the cold water. I was starting to get excited to watch game.
                          I have not seen DU, UMD is the best I have seen and IMO they outclassed Tech by quite a large margin very early in the season. But you never know.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Of course I have to agree with the SOS per KRACH, but their overall schedule is heavily skewed to the front half. They played 9 games against teams in the NCAA field in their first 14, and only 6 after that. I've seen both UMD and Denver in person and I think it's a toss-up which one I'd consider to be the better of the two.
                            Duluth is very good as well. I like Duluth's forwards better, but like Denver's blue line and goaltender better. Duluth and Denver are certainly the best two teams I've seen play this season, but I think Harvard and Lowell are right there as well.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Now stop that with the cold water. I was starting to get excited to watch game.
                              I have not seen DU, UMD is the best I have seen and IMO they outclassed Tech by quite a large margin very early in the season. But you never know.
                              Exactly. The NCAA Tournament in college hockey is a beautiful thing because literally anyone can win. Michigan Tech will need to play their A game. The only reason North Dakota upset DU last weekend was because we played our A game and DU missed on a few golden opportunities. My guess is Michigan Tech will need to follow a similar game plan to get the W.
                              North Dakota

Comment

at the presser, the NCAA rep once again dissed our guys by calling them "Michigan State." Coach never batted an eye (he did grin at the guys a little bit), launched into a long speech, and finished up with, "we're proud to be here representing Michigan Tech University."
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X