Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    Medal or metal
    yeah, my iphone didn't like meds...autocorrect can be a b...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

I know I am overly dramatic, I'll try and tone it down and post less like that.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I know I am overly dramatic, I'll try and tone it down and post less like that.
        we all get down on the team, and I understand that but you get way too low for me. I am disappointed in what this team has done this season but at the same time, without development of the forwards, it was going to be tough. I'm sad that guys haven't stepped up and hopefully they still find their touch and get a on a roll to the end here.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          we all get down on the team, and I understand that but you get way too low for me. I am disappointed in what this team has done this season but at the same time, without development of the forwards, it was going to be tough. I'm sad that guys haven't stepped up and hopefully they still find their touch and get a on a roll to the end here.
          I think the best point I have seen in this thread is that we don't have a setup guy on this team, and it's absolutely correct. We've got scorers in Heinonen, L'Esperance and others, but they need the guy who sets them up, gives them the pass in front of the net etc. and we don't have that like we did the past couple of seasons. If we had a good setup man, this team would be dangerous. Injuries also don't help, Steman and Baltus are big losses.

Overall I would rather be posting about being disappointed in what is so far a 16 win season than expecting to lose in a 4 win season.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

A few of my takeaways form the Mel Pearson show today. Mel also commented on how we caught a bad break with difficult travel the weekend before Bemidji both times this year, which is true.

Mel Pearson show notes:
            Thought crazy travel caught up to us
            Can't fault the effort for the most part
            Friday night: Heinonen had a chance that he scores 10 of 10 times last year
            Didn't get breaks all weekend, puck luck wasn't there

No issues with Angus, we'll ride him. He's gotten us here. Unfortunate Friday night.

Ferris is coming in Wed, will practice in Houghton early Thursday.

Keep checking with central ticket office for tickets in case Ferris turns tickets back in on Thursday.

Injuries: Brice out another week, Baltus out for year, Steman making progress but out this week.

Top 2 seed is critical, know you're home first two rounds if you win the first round.

Blueline club luncheon $10 on Friday, reserve by noon on Thursday, a few players will be there

Maybe NLI announcement during off-week

We're doing a lot of good things, giving up so few shots, just don't have that go to goal scorer like Petan/Kero

Heinonen/L'Esperance need to step up, they're pressing so much right now, just need to play sound D, it'll come

Nothing to say on TV coverage for championship game, talking to a few, FS North may cover if it's in Bemidji

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
              Where were those "best fans" when Jamie Russell was the coach? Mitch's Misfits have always been among, if not the best student sections. But where were the rest?
              They were there, not in as great numbers as they are now of course. Winning more games usually puts more fans in the seats. Here are some numbers for you from the Jamie Russell era, which are not terrible.

Average attendance:
              2003-04...2,579
              2004-05...2,742
              2005-06...2,459
              2006-07...2,807
              2007-08...2,718
              2008-09...2,463 6 wins
              2009-10...2,164 5 wins
              2010-11...2,345 4 wins
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                Sad thing is, with the boxscore showing 3100 Friday night and almost 3500 Saturday night, those were two of the better attended games this year. But then again, Bemidji does have the highest ticket prices in the WCHA.... And the high school team had a game, albeit a road game, but it was a big section standings game and they do pull fans away from the College game.

Good series, I hope these two teams get to see each other again in the Championship!
                That makes sense. Numbers are less here too if there is high school or Calumet Wolverines or Portage Lake Pioneers playing locally.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I am disappointed in what this team has done this season but at the same time, without development of the forwards, it was going to be tough. I'm sad that guys haven't stepped up and hopefully they still find their touch and get a on a roll to the end here.
                  I think the best point I have seen in this thread is that we don't have a setup guy on this team, and it's absolutely correct. We've got scorers in Heinonen, L'Esperance and others, but they need the guy who sets them up, gives them the pass in front of the net etc. and we don't have that like we did the past couple of seasons. If we had a good setup man, this team would be dangerous. Injuries also don't help, Steman and Baltus are big losses.
                  Gotta remember due to injuries to Baltus and Steman there are inexperienced freshman trying to fill the setup and scoring roles vacated by them as well as the Eicks, Goulds and even Vallis. Last season Luchini was the only freshman playing regularly. Jackson played 11 games last season, Blacklock 20; so that coupled with Smith, Gerrie, Gould and Berratta expected to pick up the slack I think the team has done pretty well. It is frustrating but I never took the time to really analyze the roster compared to the last couple years. It actually could be a lot worse. I was one at the beginning of the season that thought all of the freshman forwards would be lucky to get a sniff at playing and now all but Brice has played 20+ games. Unfortunately none of the new guys have scored like Steman, Lesperance and Luchinin did their freshman years but hopefully that's coming. I really think they have been forced to play a more defensive game just due to the inexperience.

Comment

I'm hoping Northern takes the last playoff spot, bumps off Bemidji, and sets up a playoff series in Houghton. I wouldn't mind seeing that go to a do-or-die game three. That would be pretty intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                      I'm hoping Northern takes the last playoff spot, bumps off Bemidji, and sets up a playoff series in Houghton. I wouldn't mind seeing that go to a do-or-die game three. That would be pretty intense.
                      The first part of that is not as far fetched as it may look. We (BSU) still have inconsistent scoring and Northern is on the move with a hot goalie. The Beavers were able to break out of it for the moment against Tech, but the Cats would give us a good run.

Comment

Watching the Red wings vs CBJ game, the blue jackets are number 1 for a reason. They pressure the puck so hard and so quickly. Even if they don't win the race to the puck they are there so quick that the opponent makes a mistake turns it over etc. I'd hope we can do that. Sometimes we do, but we need to be quicker getting to open pucks. I think it would help the offense.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                          The first part of that is not as far fetched as it may look. We (BSU) still have inconsistent scoring and Northern is on the move with a hot goalie. The Beavers were able to break out of it for the moment against Tech, but the Cats would give us a good run.
                          Bemidji is the most annoying team I've seen Tech play in a long time. That's a compliment. They give you no more than one second to decide where you want to move the puck and they don't allow you to enter the offensive zone with any speed. Their PK is aggressive and reminds me of Ferris a few years ago. You have to move the puck fast and catch you guys out of position while you're moving. We haven't been able to do that well all year. You're just a bad match-up!

Comment

Happy 86th birthday to Bob Olson, the original voice of the Huskies. If you never heard Bob call a game, here's one appropriately from a Winter Carnival matchup against Minnesota in 1993.

https://youtu.be/PCrW-6_dUwk

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                              Bemidji is the most annoying team I've seen Tech play in a long time. That's a compliment. They give you no more than one second to decide where you want to move the puck and they don't allow you to enter the offensive zone with any speed. Their PK is aggressive and reminds me of Ferris a few years ago. You have to move the puck fast and catch you guys out of position while you're moving. We haven't been able to do that well all year. You're just a bad match-up!
                              Thanks! I do have to say that even when the Beavers got up 3-2 on Friday and 2-0 on Saturday, I still was nervous. Tech's defensemen seem to be able to find the net, and I was just waiting for the forward corp to turn it on and break our hearts. Luckily for the Green and White, it didn't happen. We are not used to being in this position since it hasn't happened since the old CHA days in Bemidji. It was nice to see BSU keep the intensity up even after they got down on Friday night.

I do have to agree with Mel a little bit, I think you guys, and Bemidji for that matter, have gotten the shaft with travel this year. With you guys playing Bemidji at home after a trip to Alaska, and then having to travel to Bemidji after the travel to Huntsville, BSU had to go to Mankato right after Fairbanks and then go to Bowling Green right after Anchorage. These two teams have trudged through though and now sit at the top of the WCHA.

Best of luck the rest of the way and maybe we will see you in Bemidji come late March!
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                Thanks! I do have to say that even when the Beavers got up 3-2 on Friday and 2-0 on Saturday, I still was nervous. Tech's defensemen seem to be able to find the net, and I was just waiting for the forward corp to turn it on and break our hearts. Luckily for the Green and White, it didn't happen. We are not used to being in this position since it hasn't happened since the old CHA days in Bemidji. It was nice to see BSU keep the intensity up even after they got down on Friday night.

I do have to agree with Mel a little bit, I think you guys, and Bemidji for that matter, have gotten the shaft with travel this year. With you guys playing Bemidji at home after a trip to Alaska, and then having to travel to Bemidji after the travel to Huntsville, BSU had to go to Mankato right after Fairbanks and then go to Bowling Green right after Anchorage. These two teams have trudged through though and now sit at the top of the WCHA.

Best of luck the rest of the way and maybe we will see you in Bemidji come late March!
                                I think the odds are against that, but maybe.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X