Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Tech had a great season. At the end of the day, everyone that makes a playoff ends the year with a loss, except one.

We won the Broadmoor and made the NCAA tournament for the 2nd in 3 tries. We won winter carnival. We We took the GLI championship to OT, and we took the McNaughton to the final series with BSU.

I'd probably take that as a good season on day 1.
    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

I don't know about 2,000. I would say between 1,000 and 1,500 is a fair estimate.

Cincy was fine for hosting, other than the fact that nobody in town knows much of anything about the sport, let alone the college game. I expected that though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I don't know about 2,000. I would say between 1,000 and 1,500 is a fair estimate.

Cincy was fine for hosting, other than the fact that nobody in town knows much of anything about the sport, let alone the college game. I expected that though.
        My guess would have been 2500. There were a lot of fans in the two main sections and then plenty scattered around sitting with fans of other teams, even Denver. I was sitting to the north of the Camera well and there were lots of Tech fans without gear on, near me. I thought Union had about 400 and Du about 1000.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Looks like the posted attendance was 3,917, I would have guessed it to be more. I would put Tech in around 1200, I think Penn State had a few more than that once they all showed up for the second game they probably had 1500ish and then the other two teams and people who just came to watch some hockey made up the rest.

Comment

From the accusation that Tech would not draw last weekend...

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            And that's fantastic for them. The point of the discussion was the NCAA putting Tech in Cincinnati for "attendance reasons," and I've asked multiple times for someone to give a ballpark figure on how many fans Tech would bring. The fact that so many refuse to do so is a pretty good indication of how small that number would be.
            Which team had the most fans at the regional site? If the announced attendance was 3917 for the first day, more than half of those were Huskies fans...from the #4 seed in the building and the lowest overall in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Which team had the most fans at the regional site? If the announced attendance was 3917 for the first day, more than half of those were Huskies fans...from the #4 seed in the building and the lowest overall in the field.
              And many of of the Tech fans stayed around for the championships game. Very impressive showing from an awesome fan base!

Comment

I assume you stuck around for the Union/PSU game, I did not but that's a huge part of assessing this. From what I gather MTU was around 1500 while PSU was similar with very few Union fans and a couple hundred DU fans which was pretty impressive to me.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  and a couple hundred DU fans which was pretty impressive to me.
                  Especially considering that fanbase is usually about 12 people.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I assume you stuck around for the Union/PSU game, I did not but that's a huge part of assessing this. From what I gather MTU was around 1500 while PSU was similar with very few Union fans and a couple hundred DU fans which was pretty impressive to me.
                    I stayed for the second game, I would say MTU and PSU were pretty even fan wise, Tech may have had a few more overall.
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

If the announced attendance was 3917 for the first day, more than half of those were Huskies fans
                      So less than 2000 people. Like I said, not nearly enough for the NCAA to care about moving them for attendance purposes.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

So less than 2000 people. Like I said, not nearly enough for the NCAA to care about moving them for attendance purposes.
                        JFC, give it a rest!
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

You're the perfect example of why Michigan is the most hated fanbase on the planet.
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Actually, through the years, Cincinnati has been a pretty good minor league hockey town. The original Cyclones were a very strong draw in the ECHL and subsequently moved up to the AAA IHL, where they averaged 7,000 a night. The AHL Ducks and second edition ECHL Cyclones have been solid draws as well. The WHA Stingers (with former Husky Billy Steele) also averaged over 7,000 a night during their 4 year run. It's also interesting that one of the rinks, the Cincinnati Gardebs, was a scaled down copy of Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 04-05-2017, 04:20 AM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                            X