No announcement yet.

The College Hockey Championship Belt Part IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good chance to clean up quite a few alternate belts Friday night at Colgate...
    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Clarkson 1990

Comment

• Originally posted by drshoen View Post
      Good chance to clean up quite a few alternate belts Friday night at Colgate...
      With the ubiquity of shootouts/short sided overtimes, is there a discussion to be had at some point about the existence of alternate belts? It was one thing when they were occurring only in one conference or in random in-season tournaments, but now (correct me if I am wrong) every single game could in theory result in an alternate belt.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

With the ubiquity of shootouts/short sided overtimes, is there a discussion to be had at some point about the existence of alternate belts? It was one thing when they were occurring only in one conference or in random in-season tournaments, but now (correct me if I am wrong) every single game could in theory result in an alternate belt.
        No discussion here so far. Although all of the leagues have adopted shootouts, they are not held in most OOC games. I eliminated alternate melts for 3x3 OTs because they now oddur both in league and OOC.

I had also noticed that we could lose several alternates belts this weeknd. The D-2 playup one could last for many more years. It started on 11/19/2016 when Alaska Anchorage defeated Michigan Tech.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-17-2022, 01:40 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Thursday update
          Code:
                             Current Holder         Next Defense
          The Belt           Clarkson               Colgate 02/18/2022
          Alt SO Belt        Colgate                Clarkson 02/18/2022
          Alt SO Belt 2      Boston University      Boston College 02/25/2022
          AHC Belt           Army                   Holy Cross 02/18/2022
          B1G Belt           Minnesota              Penn State 02/18/2022
          CCHA Belt          Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/18/2022
          ECAC Belt          Clarkson               Colgate 02/18/2022
          ECAC Alt SO Belt   Colgate                Clarkson 02/18/2022
          HEA Belt           Boston University      Boston College 02/25/2022
          NCHC Belt          St. Cloud              Nebraska Omaha 02/18/2022
          Ivy Belt           Dartmouth              Princeton 02/19/2022
          Eastern Belt       Clarkson               Colgate 02/18/2022
          East. Alt SO Belt  Colgate                Clarkson 02/18/2022
          Western Belt       St. Cloud              Nebraska Omaha 02/18/2022
          Connecticut Belt   Quinnipiac             Yale 02/22/2022
          Massachusetts Belt Boston University      Boston College 02/25/2022
          Michigan Belt      Michigan               B1G playoffs at earliest
          Minnesota Belt     Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/18/2022
          New York Belt      Colgate                Clarkson 02/18/2022
          NY Alt SO Belt     Clarkson               Colgate 02/18/2022
          D II Play up Belt  Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/18/2022
          D II P u Alt SO    Bentley                AHA playoffs at earliest
          D III Play up Belt Clarkson               ECAC playoffs at earliest
          Play up Belt       Clarkson               ECAC playoffs at earliest
          Corrections are always appreciated.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• What if ALT belts are eliminated (allow all current alts to stand until absorbed through the season) for reasons AMC brought up. As for the OOC games that do not have shootout and end in a tie, what about a total goals situation? If it is just a one game thing and still ends in a tie, I say previous holder of belt retains. I can't imagine that happens a ton of times anyway. Just my immediate thoughts reading through it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
              What if ALT belts are eliminated (allow all current alts to stand until absorbed through the season) for reasons AMC brought up. As for the OOC games that do not have shootout and end in a tie, what about a total goals situation? If it is just a one game thing and still ends in a tie, I say previous holder of belt retains. I can't imagine that happens a ton of times anyway. Just my immediate thoughts reading through it.
              I don't fully understand this. When games end in a tie, it has always been that the previous holder keeps the belt in question. If the teams are playng more than one game, the team with the most goals in total will end up with the belt after both games are completed. I hope that you are not stating that if two games are played and the teams split them, then give the belt to the team with the most total goals in the two games independent upon which game they win. Note that in a playoff series that has more than one game, the belt is not switched after the first game to handle two-game, total-goal series (which no one uses now).
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-19-2022, 01:49 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Congrats to Clarkson on retaining the Belt.
                Code:
                The Belt           Clarkson               Cornell 02/19/2022
                AHC Belt           Army                   Sacred Heart 02/25/2022
                B1G Belt           Minnesota              Penn State 02/19/2022
                CCHA Belt          Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/19/2022
                ECAC Belt          Clarkson               Cornell 02/19/2022
                NCHC Belt          Nebraska Omaha         St. Cloud 02/19/2022
                Ivy Belt           Dartmouth              Princeton 02/19/2022
                Eastern Belt       Clarkson               Cornell 02/19/2022
                Western Belt       Nebraska Omaha         St. Cloud 02/19/2022
                Minnesota Belt     Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/19/2022
                New York Belt      Clarkson               Cornell 02/19/2022
                D II Play up Belt  Minnesota State        Bemidji State 02/19/2022
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Congrats to Cornell on winning the Belt.
                  Code:
                  The Belt           Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                  B1G Belt           Minnesota              Wisconsin 02/25/2022
                  CCHA Belt          Minnesota State        Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                  ECAC Belt          Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                  NCHC Belt          Nebraska Omaha         Denver 02/25/2022
                  Ivy Belt           Dartmouth              ECAC playoffs at earliest
                  Eastern Belt       Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                  Western Belt       Nebraska Omaha         Denver 02/25/2022
                  Minnesota Belt     Minnesota State        CCHA playoffs at earliest
                  New York Belt      Cornell                ECAC playoffs at earliest
                  D II Play up Belt  Minnesota State        Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I don't fully understand this. When games end in a tie, it has always been that the previous holder keeps the belt in question. If the teams are playng more than one game, the team with the most goals in total will end up with the belt after both games are completed. I hope that you are not stating that if two games are played and the teams split them, then give the belt to the team with the most total goals in the two games independent upon which game they win. Note that in a playoff series that has more than one game, the belt is not switched after the first game to handle two-game, total-goal series (which no one uses now).
                    I think I was forgetting some of the rules already in place in regards to ties and when a belt would be awarded in a regular season series. Not sure. It appears that I was confused on something though.

Comment

I think I was forgetting some of the rules already in place in regards to ties and when a belt would be awarded in a regular season series. Not sure. It appears that I was confused on something though.
                      I made a significant mistake. If 2 teams are playing a 2-game, regular season series, then the team winning the 2nd game will end up with the belt. It can be switched after the first game, but when the series is over, the team winning the 2nd game will end up with it. A 2-game, regular season series is thus treated no differently than 2 games against different teams. As i correctly wrote, in a multi-game playoff series, the belt can only transfer after the series is completed.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Tuesday update
                        Code:
                        The Belt           Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                        B1G Belt           Minnesota              Wisconsin 02/25/2022
                        CCHA Belt          Minnesota State        Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                        ECAC Belt          Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                        NCHC Belt          Nebraska Omaha         Denver 02/25/2022
                        Ivy Belt           Dartmouth              ECAC playoffs at earliest
                        Eastern Belt       Cornell                Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                        Western Belt       Nebraska Omaha         Denver 02/25/2022
                        Connecticut Belt   Quinnipiac             ECAC playoffs at earliest
                        Minnesota Belt     Minnesota State        CCHA playoffs at earliest
                        New York Belt      Cornell                ECAC playoffs at earliest
                        D II Play up Belt  Minnesota State        Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I made a significant mistake. If 2 teams are playing a 2-game, regular season series, then the team winning the 2nd game will end up with the belt. It can be switched after the first game, but when the series is over, the team winning the 2nd game will end up with it. A 2-game, regular season series is thus treated no differently than 2 games against different teams. As i correctly wrote, in a multi-game playoff series, the belt can only transfer after the series is completed.
                          I think I was thinking of a regular game series being treated like a playoff series, forgetting that the belt can change hands after each game. And I think I forgot about ties resulting in team with belt retaining.

Given though that shootouts seem to be the norm though now, I would support gradually doing away with ALT belts as they are absorbed and not awarding new ones. Or maybe starting that with the beginning of the 2022-2023 season. But if folks want to keep tracking ALT belts then ok.

I think where I could see an ALT belt coming up is the off chance that a team that has The BELT or one of the conference belts fails to make their conference tournament (is that still a possibility? I am not even sure) in which case an ALT bet would go to the conference tournament champ and/or the frozen four champ.

Edit: if the belt were held by an independent team at the end of the season it would certainly be possible that it would miss the frozen four tournament. An Alt belt would make perfect sense there too.
                          Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 02-23-2022, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Given though that shootouts seem to be the norm though now, I would support gradually doing away with ALT belts as they are absorbed and not awarding new ones. Or maybe starting that with the beginning of the 2022-2023 season.
                            I was much more interested in the history of the belts vs who currently holds the belt, so I haven't followed this thread very closely the past several years. However, I like this idea since 3x3 and shootouts are now standard. To further the boxing analogy: a regulation win is a knockout, a 3x3 overtime win is a technical knockout and a shootout win is a decision on points.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I think where I could see an ALT belt coming up is the off chance that a team that has The BELT or one of the conference belts fails to make their conference tournament (is that still a possibility? I am not even sure) in which case an ALT bet would go to the conference tournament champ and/or the frozen four champ.
                              This year there would be an alternate belt in Hockey East if Maine defeats BU on Saturday. I think HEA is the only league at this point where some teams don't make the league tourney. As you also wrote, The Belt could be held by an independent not making the NCAA tourney.

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post

Given though that shootouts seem to be the norm though now, I would support gradually doing away with ALT belts as they are absorbed and not awarding new ones. Or maybe starting that with the beginning of the 2022-2023 season. But if folks want to keep tracking ALT belts then ok.
                              We got rid of alternate belts this year for 3x3 OT because they are used in all games now (NCAA tourney?) . I would love not having to deal with alternate belts for shootouts also, but in nonleague games they are not held. Any more opinions on this?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Tuesday update
                                Code:
                                 Current Holder Next Defense
                                The Belt Cornell Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                                Alt SO Belt 2 Boston University Boston College 02/25/2022
                                AHC Belt Army Sacred Heart 02/25/2022
                                B1G Belt Minnesota Wisconsin 02/25/2022
                                CCHA Belt Minnesota State Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                                ECAC Belt Cornell Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                                HEA Belt Boston University Boston College 02/25/2022
                                NCHC Belt Nebraska Omaha Denver 02/25/2022
                                Ivy Belt Dartmouth ECAC playoffs at earliest
                                Eastern Belt Cornell Quinnipiac 02/25/2022
                                Western Belt Nebraska Omaha Denver 02/25/2022
                                Connecticut Belt Quinnipiac ECAC playoffs at earliest
                                Massachusetts Belt Boston University Boston College 02/25/2022
                                Michigan Belt Michigan B1G playoffs at earliest
                                Minnesota Belt Minnesota State CCHA playoffs at earliest
                                New York Belt Cornell ECAC playoffs at earliest
                                D II Play up Belt Minnesota State Michigan Tech 02/25/2022
                                D II P u Alt SO Bentley AHA playoffs at earliest
                                D III Play up Belt Clarkson ECAC playoffs at earliest
                                Play up Belt Clarkson ECAC playoffs at earliest
                                Keeping our four belts for another day.
                                . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X