Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future WCHA Final 5 in a 12 team league

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    Of course they don't have a problem with it. Who said they did? I said I have a problem with it. And life isn't fair because you have fingers and are able to use a keyboard.
    DL write to Doug and see what he has to say. It is pretty simple money is the reason.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

How about we move the Final Five to the Kohl Center and create the "Wisconsin Rule". Count me in for that change.
      Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
        I don't want to benefit financially by those dooshes getting the night game regardless of seeding. How about they just...ya know...be fair.
        Then you are a purist. And that doesn't bode well in the sports world. It's all about the dollar.

As for the Thu aft vs 3rd place game? I bet it'd be a wash. Even if MN is in the 3rd place game, I won't go watch it. 99.9% of the time it means nothing.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I still say keep the final five the way it is by not having a postseason for teams 11 and 12.

Won't happen though. "Everyone has a chance to win the NCAA championship! Isn't that neat?!!?!"

No, it is stupid. You suck, go home.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            I still say keep the final five the way it is by not having a postseason for teams 11 and 12.

Won't happen though. "Everyone has a chance to win the NCAA championship! Isn't that neat?!!?!"

No, it is stupid. You suck, go home.
            Except next year, Minnesota could be #11.

(We all know who #12 will be. )

And as a practical matter, having two teams sit idle during that first weekend just cuts into the revenue stream even more.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

So, if the Sioux beat Tech and Denver beats Mankato in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then CC goes to the McNaughton Cup, unless Minnesota can upset Wisconsin and St. Cloud ties Duluth, then UAA would play Denver and Wisconsin in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

And as a practical matter, having two teams sit idle during that first weekend just cuts into the revenue stream even more.
                I don't care. I would still have this opinion if Minnesota was 11th or 12th. You don't deserve to keep going, you blow. Cut your losses, go home and lick your wounds.

The money thing is why it won't happen, obviously. 1 vs. 12 will sure be an exiciting weekend of hockey though, hoo-boy.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Yep. In any case you wonder what will the NCAA or whoever do......follow the dollar. You will find your answer there.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Make the bottom 4 have a play in game/s to get the field down to 10
                    Voice of UWRF Athletics 2007-
                    Voice of River Falls High School Athletics 2007-
                    Green Bay Bullfrogs Baseball-2010
                    Eau Claire Express Baseball-2011

Comment

The Mavericks? (and I don't mean UNO)

Comment

The ECAC and the CCHA are the two conferences that have 12 teams and they handle it the same way. No need to reinvent the process. The two rounds of best of three makes for good competition.

The 2010 ECAC Hockey Championship presented by Bank of America and Hilton Garden Inn, Albany Medical Center, shall commence March 5-7 and features a 12-team championship field held over three weekends.

Tournament competition features four first-round series conducted at on-campus sites Friday-Sunday, March 5-7; four quarterfinals series at on-campus sites Friday-Sunday, March 12-14; and the championship semifinals, third-place and championship games March 19-20 at the Times Union Center in Albany, New York.

The four first-round series feature seed Nos. 5-8 hosting teams seeded Nos. 9-12. All series are best-of-three games. The top four seeds receive a first-round bye.

The four first-round series winners advance to quarterfinals action to face the top four seeds. Seed Nos. 1-4 shall host the four first-round series winners. The No. 1 seed shall host the lowest seed advancing from the first round; the No. 2 shall host the second-lowest remaining seed advancing from the first-round series, etc. All series are best-of-three games.

The top four teams as determined by the outcome of quarterfinals action shall gather March 19-20 at the Times Union Center to determine the League's 49th champion. The semifinals shall be conducted Friday, March 19, followed by the third-place and championship games Saturday, March 20.

The 2010 League champion shall receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.

The 2010 CCHA Tournament features all 12 teams qualifying for the playoffs with the same format adopted for the 2005-06 season. The top four finishers in the regular season will
                        receive first-round byes, while seeds five through 12 will clash in a best-of-three series
                        on Friday-Sunday, March 5-7. The winners of the first-round series will then travel to the campus of the top four schools, March 12-14 for another best-of-three series, with a spot
                        at the CCHA Championships in Detroit on the line. The final four teams will be involved in semifinal action on Friday, March 19 at Joe Louis Arena, and the CCHA Championship will
                        be held Saturday, March 20. The CCHA Tournament champion will receive the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
                        Last edited by MagnessMan; 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM.
                        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Current CCHA method:
                          Top four get byes, bottom eight play each other in best of three. Total number of games = 8-12 (round one). Remaining eight teams play in best of three matchups at the site of the top four seeds. Total number of games = 8-12 (round two). Four remaining teams square off in two semifinals and then championship/3rd place games to decide it.

This format yields a minimum of 16 games on campus venues (max of 24) and four games at the X. It also gives every team a shot to advance to the X - it just makes the bottom eight teams battle through a pair of best of threes to get there.

The "super six" method yields 12 games minimum at campus sites with a max of 18 followed by five games at the X if they go without a 3rd place game.

Call it a hunch or a pure guess if you must, but I think the first option makes the most sense and is probably the most lucrative. Yes, the fifth game at the X is lost, but at least there'd no longer be Thursday games. Everything would be Friday-Saturday. Plus I would think that in most years, the extra four (or more) on campus games would be worth more $$$ than the 5th game at the X.

Comment

Working...
                          X