Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Online NCAA Hockey Survey

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    I agree with you - women's basketball is not a great spectator sport and the NCAA women's hoops tourney loses money, unlike hockey. That said, the NCAA would love to shove more women's hoops down our throats, since the TV audience potential is higher, given the larger tourney field and wider geographic penetration of the sport.
    Am I detecting subliminal messages here?
    If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

I always love when they put "Native American" in the ethnicity question. Yup, I was born in Bangor, Maine, to parents who were both born in the USofA. I am native to America.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

THis survey is a huge step forward for college hockey! Now, we'll be just months away from a college hockey video game and a Big Ten Conference!

Comment

The Soviets, of course, were amateurs in name only, and I personally hated the fact that we had to send amateurs to play against seasoned pros. I like the current Olympic format, where the best players from each play without any of that silly hypocrisy.
          It wouldn't be like that today. Way too much transparency for a country to claim its pros were truly amateurs. Back then, the Soviets had their entire bloc to hide the truth.

I would prefer the NHL did away with the Olympics and let it go back to college age kids. Would the U.S. go back to rarely even having a shot at a medal? Maybe, maybe not. We're starting to produce some awfully good hockey players these days.
          Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
            We have a winner. This was a standard marketing survey. They simply want to know how they can attract more fans like the ones they already have.
            This. They don't really want to improve the product, they're just looking to sell some more nosebleed tickets at Ford Field. I was waiting for my chance to unload about the tourney selection process, but all I got to tell them is how far I would travel for a regional or championship, which tells them how far out of the host market to run ads.

And, I didn't appreciate the shameless dump at the NC$$ website, either.
            Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM.
            2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
            2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
            Air Force Falcons
            2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
            2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
            2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
            2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
            2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Since 1998, being a hockey Olympic Gold Medalist means you and your team are the very best in the world. And that's true in in every other Olympic sport but men's soccer (where Olympic Soccer is essentially a U-23 championship). It also means you are an Olympian for the rest of your life. There is more global cachet to having an Olympic Gold Medal than any other trophy you can win.

The Stanley Cup and Frozen Four are club championships. Great club championships for sure, but the Olympics involve the best on best in a global format and being held every four years makes winning Olympic Gold a rare thing. And more people watch Olympic Hockey than any other kind of hockey.
              I have to agree there. The Olympics are the premier event. As a ten year-old in Florida, watching the "Miracle on Ice" was my first exposure to hockey, one that grew into being an NHL fan (Atlanta Flames, anyone?) playing IMs in college, and becoming an avid college hockey fan. Still, I am much more excited about the US's medal chances in Vancouver that seeing San Jose or Pittsburgh duke it out for Lord Stanley's hardware.

Much like a World Cup>>>a Premier League championship.
              Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM.
              2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
              2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
              Air Force Falcons
              2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
              2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
              2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
              2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
              2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                I would prefer the NHL did away with the Olympics and let it go back to college age kids. Would the U.S. go back to rarely even having a shot at a medal? Maybe, maybe not. We're starting to produce some awfully good hockey players these days.

The IIHF would never want to do that, and neither would the IOC and the NHLPA. They want Olympic Hockey to be a showcase event with the best possible players playing. And Olympic hockey with NHL pros is amazing hockey with six different teams in the last three Olympic finals. Going back to all minor leaguers and Euro leaguers would result in a second-rate tourney, IMHO. The Olympics should be about the best playing the best. And our best can play with anyone's best (Silver in 2002, Gold in 1996 World Cup).

Comment

The IIHF would never want to do that, and neither would the IOC and the NHLPA. They want Olympic Hockey to be a showcase event with the best possible players playing. And Olympic hockey with NHL pros is amazing hockey with six different teams in the last three Olympic finals. Going back to all minor leaguers and Euro leaguers would result in a second-rate tourney, IMHO. The Olympics should be about the best playing the best. And our best can play with anyone's best (Silver in 2002, Gold in 1996 World Cup).
                  The NHL is going to turn this into a sticking point in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement because Bettman and company don't want the league to take two weeks off mid-season. The Russian players have already made it a point to say that they're going to the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia whether the NHL is involved or not.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    The NHL is going to turn this into a sticking point in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement because Bettman and company don't want the league to take two weeks off mid-season. The Russian players have already made it a point to say that they're going to the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia whether the NHL is involved or not.
                    I think the NHL is just using that public anti-Olympic stance as a bargaining chip with the NHLPA. At the end of the day, I think the NHL will be in Sochi. They will take a lot of flak from the global public if they appear greedy and deny what the players, fans, and the Union wants. And I don't blame the Russian players one bit. They want to play in the Olympics in their home country.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      I always love when they put "Native American" in the ethnicity question. Yup, I was born in Bangor, Maine, to parents who were both born in the USofA. I am native to America.
                      What's the alternative, though? Should they list every recognized tribe in North America?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        What's the alternative, though? Should they list every recognized tribe in North America?

Powers &8^]

Call 'em Indians.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think the NHL is just using that public anti-Olympic stance as a bargaining chip with the NHLPA. At the end of the day, I think the NHL will be in Sochi. They will take a lot of flak from the global public if they appear greedy and deny what the players, fans, and the Union wants. And I don't blame the Russian players one bit. They want to play in the Olympics in their home country.
                          sure, just not the pros. Please NO more pros in the olympics.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Call 'em Indians.
                            That gets confusing too. I believe the more correct term would be "feathers".
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Call 'em Indians.

I can't believe there can still be such ignorance in the world. Check your history, pal. Any enlightened person knows that the term "Indians" is specific only to people from Indiana.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                              X