This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Yesterday was last day to apply for job as assistant. Given the glaring needs of two starting defensemen recruits this late in the season, I hope White gets announced today and hits the ground running. Perhaps the delay in the two recruits is because they are non traditional? Euros?
    Finns!

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Finns!
      So many Finns....Anyway...bet it (the announcement) will come when a certain NHL team is done with their season But I have no clue. My guess is they are already working on this piece.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I wonder if Robbie Barker would get a look at the assistant coaching vacancy . 2 time Hockey East Tournament Champion. Very blue collar and defensive minded player during his time at UNH. UNH seems to have issues with 1 and 2 goal games recently. Barker has been the Head Coach at Lawrence Academy the last few seasons. He may be the key to bring UNH back to its glory days of early 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
          I wonder if Robbie Barker would get a look at the assistant coaching vacancy . 2 time Hockey East Tournament Champion. Very blue collar and defensive minded player during his time at UNH. UNH seems to have issues with 1 and 2 goal games recently. Barker has been the Head Coach at Lawrence Academy the last few seasons. He may be the key to bring UNH back to its glory days of early 2000's.
          I was a huge fan of Robbie "Boom Boom" Barker as a player. Certainly not the most gifted of players, but he was a physical beast with a compete level that made him stand out, as the kind of player so rarely seen at UNH. Not sure I've got any insight into his qualifications as a coaching candidate, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the UNH staff in some capacity, now or in the future. Like White, he was a 3rd pairing d-man on multiple successful UNH "glory years" teams. If he's interested, he should at least be considered.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            They don't need to come to USCHO to get that information - they can check the standings. They have parents and advisors looking into the program directly. Recruits know what the reality of every situation is across college hockey. At that point it's up to UNH coaches to sell a brighter future and attract recruits. We give ourselves far too much credit if we think we're a factor in the decision making process...

BU fans rip Quinn constantly - including his coaching and development ability - but it does nothing to stop the parade of prospects into Agganis, because there more concerned with what Quinn himself has to say...
            Plus, there are like 8 people posting on this thread and 3000+ in the silent majority Whitt stands for every game.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              So with Corson Green no longer on board, will UNH bring in another DMan for next season???
              what you mean?? he is not coming this fall. any additional insight? or is this from a "source".

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                what you mean?? he is not coming this fall. any additional insight? or is this from a "source".
                https://twitter.com/UNHHockeyBlog/st...82627251953664
                UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I was a huge fan of Robbie "Boom Boom" Barker as a player. Certainly not the most gifted of players, but he was a physical beast with a compete level that made him stand out, as the kind of player so rarely seen at UNH. Not sure I've got any insight into his qualifications as a coaching candidate, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the UNH staff in some capacity, now or in the future. Like White, he was a 3rd pairing d-man on multiple successful UNH "glory years" teams. If he's interested, he should at least be considered.
                  Agreed, interesting comparisons can be made between White and Barker. White played on excellent UNH teams from 1997/98 to 2000/01, whereas Barker played on equally excellent teams from 2001/02 to 2004/05. White played 23 and 34 games in his first two seasons on Frozen Four teams, whereas Barker played 24 games in each of his first two seasons on Frozen Four teams. White's most productive season was his junior year, when he was 4G+10A=14 points in 37 games (total career points = 34), where he led the blue line in scoring (other D-men were Austin, Stafford, Enders, Lind, Truelson, and McIniry), whereas Barker's most productive season by far was his senior year, when he was 2G+17A=19 points in 42 games (total career points = 28), where he was third in blue line scoring (trailing Yandle and Teplitsky, ahead of Switzer, Flaishans, Hutchins, and Murray). I think one of the overlooked pluses on those UNH Frozen Four teams was good depth, if not future NHL'ers, on the blueline.

White played four pro seasons in the ECHL, ACHL, and WHA2, whereas Barker played one pro season, 14 games, in the ECHL. White was assistant coach at Bentley for three seasons, then assistant at Brown for six seasons, where re-connected with Souza who was also an assistant coach at Brown during the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons (they overlapped at UNH as players during the 1997/98 to 1999/00 seasons). Someone posted above that Barker is a coach at Lawrence Academy?

I still think that White will be the next UNH assistant coach.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 04-05-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Agreed, interesting comparisons can be made between White and Barker. White played on excellent UNH teams from 1997/98 to 2000/01, whereas Barker played on equally excellent teams from 2001/02 to 2004/05. White played 23 and 34 games in his first two seasons on Frozen Four teams, whereas Barker played 24 games in each of his first two seasons on Frozen Four teams. White's most productive season was his junior year, when he was 4G+10A=14 points in 37 games (total career points = 34), where he led the blue line in scoring (other D-men were Austin, Stafford, Enders, Lind, Truelson, and McIniry), whereas Barker's most productive season by far was his senior year, when he was 2G+17A=19 points in 42 games (total career points = 28), where he was third in blue line scoring (trailing Yandle and Teplitsky, ahead of Switzer, Flaishans, Hutchins, and Murray). I think one of the overlooked pluses on those UNH Frozen Four teams was good depth, if not future NHL'ers, on the blueline.

White played four pro seasons in the ECHL, ACHL, and WHA2, whereas Barker played one pro season, 14 games, in the ECHL. White was assistant coach at Bentley for three seasons, then assistant at Brown for six seasons, where re-connected with Souza who was also an assistant coach at Brown during the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons (they overlapped at UNH as players during the 1997/98 to 1999/00 seasons). Someone posted above that Barker is a coach at Lawrence Academy?

I still think that White will be the next UNH assistant coach.
                    Agree; I would not be the least bit surprised either if White is named. 2 weeks to the banquet wonder if that news will be out by then? You know Souza is going with who he's most familiar...and seems like White is qualified from what I've read from here and elsewhere. I'm ready to get behind them and begin the new era.
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Agree; I would not be the least bit surprised either if White is named. 2 weeks to the banquet wonder if that news will be out by then? You know Souza is going with who he's most familiar...and seems like White is qualified from what I've read from here and elsewhere. I'm ready to get behind them and begin the new era.
                      Would be surprised if announcement of new assistant coach doesn't occur by April 21, the date of the banquet.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Mike, thanks so much for the article from NEHJ. You are correct in identifying it as the best and most illuminating article to date. I guess we should not be surprised, as something this major in his life will only gain true perspective as he moves away from it. I thought the questions were good and his answers interesting. A good leader , like a good parent either doesn't have favorites or they don't allow that type of label to set a place in their mind.

Comment

Number of commitments among top conference teams
                          BC-22
                          BU-24
                          NU-30
                          PC-25
                          Harvard 27
                          Michigan 34
                          Michigan State 32
                          Minn 27
                          Notre Dame 24
                          Ohio State 21
                          Penn State 21
                          Wisconsin 34
                          Denver 23
                          North Dakota 21

UNH - 13
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Number of commitments among top conference teams
                            BC-22
                            BU-24
                            NU-30
                            PC-25
                            Harvard 27
                            Michigan 34
                            Michigan State 32
                            Minn 27
                            Notre Dame 24
                            Ohio State 21
                            Penn State 21
                            Wisconsin 34
                            Denver 23
                            North Dakota 21

UNH - 13
                            Just being selective. And, looks like lots of opportunities for picking up castaways the next few years.

Comment

On the other end, Dan, the folks in Wisconsin are shocked that two recruits went elsewhere and one more might be cut loose. If I recall, when you wandered into their thread you were told to go away, that there was room for all of them
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

On the other end, Dan, the folks in Wisconsin are shocked that two recruits went elsewhere and one more might be cut loose. If I recall, when you wandered into their thread you were told to go away, that there was room for all of them
                                Oh yes. Schadenfreude is a real thing! I don't like the way UW recruits from an ethical stand point - at all. It was always obvious to anyone living in reality that they'd be kicking kids to the curb (or in this case losing kids because they couldn't live up to initial promises of opportunity). To see them losing or decommiting the 'wrong' kids has been enjoyable - ie Gildon, Becker, Cruikshank, the Krygiers, even a high-scoring season from Bliss etc...

To your first point - 13 drops to 11 if you remove Borek commitments...

In other news Northeastern - NORTHEASTERN - continues to crush recruiting landing Marty St Louis' kid. I nearly had a heart attack when I thought they landed THE Jack Hughes. If Nottheastern can recruit at this level than the excuse makers for UNH can stuff all their rationalizations. Get a coach that can truly recruit (not a friend). A good recruiter could recruit to the moon, let alone a great town, campus, school like Durham/UNH...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X