Unnecessary Delays for Referee Explanations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnecessary Delays for Referee Explanations

After watching for years Coach Troy Jutting of MN State Mankato delay every single game by entering into lengthy debates with the referee crews after virtually every single call. Last weekend took the cake, with 2 lengthy debates, one of them lasting over 15 minutes ( no exaggeration). How many conferences have the same problem with lengthy discussions and what can be done to reign it in. I believe it even goes to the integrity of the game when a Coach makes a spectacle of a situation which basically takes away any momentum an opponent may have because of the situation. Thoughts?

Re: Unnecessary Delays for Referee Explanations

In the ECAC, the captain might be sent out to get an explanation from or state their case to the ref on a questionable call, or a coach might throw a fit (no names mentioned), but other than that, the games move along pretty quickly. Usually the only ref discussions to get the call right are involved if a linesman calls a blatant penalty, or if there's a goal dispute (no video review in all of the barns yet).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      In the ECAC... if there's a goal dispute (no video review in all of the barns yet).
      But there will be next year.

From what I've seen in the ECAC, the refs are not inclined to give the coaches an audience for more than a few seconds. They do their best to get the game back under way quickly (even faster when they're wrong!).
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I've rarely seen any coach/ref discussions last more than 20-30 seconds... Cornell's coach seemed to have a discussion with the ref at every stoppage of play at UNH earlier this month, but they never lasted more than 20 seconds or so....
        I have a hard time believing there was a 15 minute delay for one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
          I've rarely seen any coach/ref discussions last more than 20-30 seconds... Cornell's coach seemed to have a discussion with the ref at every stoppage of play at UNH earlier this month, but they never lasted more than 20 seconds or so....
          Do you watch the WCHA? Especially Mankato games?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
            After watching for years Coach Troy Jutting of MN State Mankato delay every single game by entering into lengthy debates with the referee crews after virtually every single call. Last weekend took the cake, with 2 lengthy debates, one of them lasting over 15 minutes ( no exaggeration). How many conferences have the same problem with lengthy discussions and what can be done to reign it in. I believe it even goes to the integrity of the game when a Coach makes a spectacle of a situation which basically takes away any momentum an opponent may have because of the situation. Thoughts?
            Its just Papa Shep not doing his job again...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

No, I was watching the game too. It lasted AT LEAST 15 minutes. It was terrible. The refs had to come back and talk to Jutting 3 separate times.
              "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Well, that's on the Refs. Give the coach a warning, and if he keeps it up, give his team a bench minor for delay of game. Simple.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

It's all on the referees. I don't understand why they are willing to stand there and be berated for several minutes.
                  The solution is simple. Refs listen to the first couple seconds and then tell the coaches to shove it, skate away, and drop the puck.

Comment

In the ECAC, the captain might be sent out to get an explanation from or state their case to the ref on a questionable call, or a coach might throw a fit (no names mentioned), but other than that, the games move along pretty quickly. Usually the only ref discussions to get the call right are involved if a linesman calls a blatant penalty, or if there's a goal dispute (no video review in all of the barns yet).
                    Any chance that he is the head coach of the "Big Red?"
                    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                    Eric's Twitter
                    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                      No, I was watching the game too. It lasted AT LEAST 15 minutes. It was terrible. The refs had to come back and talk to Jutting 3 separate times.
                      George Gwozdecky is probably just as bad as Jutting and probaly worse, Gwoz expects an explanation after every call. It’s the same thing over and over again, the ref skates over to the bench and then Gwoz goes through a plethora of demeaning facial expressions followed by the opposition team going on 6 straight penalty kills.
                      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                      Eric's Twitter
                      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

I didn't want to mention any names, but now that you and Goon brought it up.....

I can't say that I've never seen such an occurrence happen, and I know even in the ECAC the coach might throw a fit and make a kicking dent in the penalty box wall because of a disputed goal (our arena has separate bench sides), but those are quite rare. We don't go 15 minutes, but a couple minutes might happen.

And MarkEagle, I thought it was two years from now, but maybe I'm thinking what I thought last year. Obviously there are some ECAC arenas (Cheel I know this is true) that already have video review in place, and I think at HFH if Time Warner is broadcasting the game, then goal reviews may take place.

Comment

And MarkEagle, I thought it was two years from now, but maybe I'm thinking what I thought last year.
                          I'm pretty sure the ECAC has said league-wide in '10-'11. I could be wrong...
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the ECAC has said league-wide in '10-'11. I could be wrong...
                            OK, like I said, I could have heard it last year, which means it would mean next year. BTW, does Q-Pac have goal review at this point?

Comment

After watching for years Coach Troy Jutting of MN State Mankato delay every single game by entering into lengthy debates with the referee crews after virtually every single call. Last weekend took the cake, with 2 lengthy debates, one of them lasting over 15 minutes ( no exaggeration).
                              Did he then walk across the ice?

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X