Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    If goalies want to keep their "Michelin Man" excess baggage, then raise the crossbar and eliminate any restrictions on blade curvature. The fans behind the goals are all protected these days, ditto the goalies. Put shields/cages on all players, and test it a year in the AHL or ECHL.
    Fascinating discussion. I agree with everything except "eliminate any restrictions on blade curvature." I don't see why...the shooters shoot sufficiently hard enough and making the shots more "unpredictable" could lead to more injuries. Making the goal larger (which I agree should be done because there's almost nothing to shoot at now) would give them an even greater advantage. Another thing that SHOULD be done (as it should in basketball) is increase the size of the playing surface; in hockey, that translates to the "big sheet" (like in Lake Whitt). Don't the Olympic (and even World Junior) games seem to be MUCH more exciting and competitive? If they're going to emphasize "speed and skill" as they purport to do, then the big ice will take all the goonery out of the game, because you won't have as many (bigger and stronger) athletes crowded into the same space. You can't hit what you can't catch. Of course, they'll never do it for reasons that have been discussed previously (namely $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). But I would love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Fascinating discussion. I agree with everything except "eliminate any restrictions on blade curvature." I don't see why...the shooters shoot sufficiently hard enough and making the shots more "unpredictable" could lead to more injuries. Making the goal larger (which I agree should be done because there's almost nothing to shoot at now) would give them an even greater advantage. Another thing that SHOULD be done (as it should in basketball) is increase the size of the playing surface; in hockey, that translates to the "big sheet" (like in Lake Whitt). Don't the Olympic (and even World Junior) games seem to be MUCH more exciting and competitive? If they're going to emphasize "speed and skill" as they purport to do, then the big ice will take all the goonery out of the game, because you won't have as many (bigger and stronger) athletes crowded into the same space. You can't hit what you can't catch. Of course, they'll never do it for reasons that have been discussed previously (namely $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). But I would love to see it.
      If we trim back the goalie's excess *protection*, then the unlimited blade curvature can go away.

I'd love to see the enlarged surface solution ... but there have been too many new facilities built in the last generation alone using the old NHL standard dimensions. The Olympic sized sheet just never caught on, and retrofitting these facilities now would be prohibitively costly.

I know this is gonna sound nuts ... but can we slow the players down in some way? Do something with the design of the skates, maybe? If we're going to be talking about "safety" ... isn't one of the big issues the increased size/speed of the players crashing into each other? If we can at least contain the speed a little ... the reduced force might also cut into the severity of injuries - especially those to the upper body?? Plus the game fits better in the current footprint.

Yeah - OK. That's just plain whacko. But if by chance it isn't ... there's a fortune to be made with those tweaks.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

These concerns were raised back in the late 90's when goal production had gone from a peak of 8.5/g in 1990 to 6.7/g less than a decade later. Now we sit at around 5.4/g. I'm personally less inclined to worry about it because I think a 1-0 final can point to an absolutely edge-of-your-seat game. But I agree with the notion that the Stay-Puff phenomenon appears to have gone too far. And when you consider the Nintendo culture, I wonder how many would buy into the beauty of a 1-0 result, and whether that has caused the "casual" younger fan to seek higher-return outlets.
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          These concerns were raised back in the late 90's when goal production had gone from a peak of 8.5/g in 1990 to 6.7/g less than a decade later. Now we sit at around 5.4/g. I'm personally less inclined to worry about it because I think a 1-0 final can point to an absolutely edge-of-your-seat game. But I agree with the notion that the Stay-Puff phenomenon appears to have gone too far. And when you consider the Nintendo culture, I wonder how many would buy into the beauty of a 1-0 result, and whether that has caused the "casual" younger fan to seek higher-return outlets.
          So how do you explain the popularity of soccer? Forget actual goals scored...how often does a team even get the ball into the scoring area? At least in hockey you can get up and down the ice in a few seconds. In soccer it takes forever (especially that insane "offside" rule which penalizes a team for getting its attackers behind the defense - imagine if in hockey a guy is cherry picking and sneaks in alone and then they blow the whistle because there was no "defender" between him and the goal?). I mean, I tend to agree with you, but soccer seems to be a game where the "more scoring" trend is completely irrelevant.

Comment

... but can we slow the players down in some way?
            No. Then we go back to "smashmouth" hockey. I want to see speed and skill. What separates these guys from normal people like us is that they can do what they do at 3x the speed that we can. That's what makes them "elite."

Kind of like saying let's make the golf ball travel less far, because the courses are becoming outdated due to the improved equipment. I would actually like that, but you know that you can never take something away once people get used to it - for better or for worse. People would rather see Dustin Johnson hit a 378 yard drive and a 200 yard 9-iron into a 578 yard Par 5, even though it makes a travesty of the game.

And unfortunately, you're right about "retrofitting" the arenas, which is why I said it would never happen. But it's fun to dream!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
              So how do you explain the popularity of soccer? Forget actual goals scored...how often does a team even get the ball into the scoring area? At least in hockey you can get up and down the ice in a few seconds. In soccer it takes forever (especially that insane "offside" rule which penalizes a team for getting its attackers behind the defense - imagine if in hockey a guy is cherry picking and sneaks in alone and then they blow the whistle because there was no "defender" between him and the goal?). I mean, I tend to agree with you, but soccer seems to be a game where the "more scoring" trend is completely irrelevant.
              Fair question - I would surmise that he 10x-plus rate of participation in soccer vs. hockey at the youth levels probably makes it more accessible. Broadly speaking, I think there's a generation or two of Americans who are now more able to appreciate the beauty of soccer, even when it's happening in the middle third.

Either way - trim the pads, for god's sake.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Worldwide, no argument, but I think the jury is still out in North America. I've tried and still don't get it and never will.

Comment

Eiserman!! First night back!! 1-0 'Cats!
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    Fair question - I would surmise that he 10x-plus rate of participation in soccer vs. hockey at the youth levels probably makes it more accessible. Broadly speaking, I think there's a generation or two of Americans who are now more able to appreciate the beauty of soccer, even when it's happening in the middle third.

Either way - trim the pads, for god's sake.
                    Agree entirely. Oh, and 2-0 UNH, with Grasso scoring the second for the 'Cats.

Comment

Northeastern also up 2-0 at BU in the first period. Road teams seem to have come to play tonight ...

Comment

Northeastern also up 2-0 at BU in the first period. Road teams seem to have come to play tonight ...
                        Another reason why I disdain the bye. BIG disadvantage for the teams that have been off for two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                        X