Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by chickod View Post

Look at the goalie equipment and how much they actually have to MOVE to cover the goal, which looks gigantic compared to today.
    Almost explains why offense today is lets recruit/draft 6'3 guys, "just get it to the net and hope to get a deflection" and "clog up the front of the net" as opposed to "let's develop a system to get a good shot because you have a chance to beat the goalie."

[/old guy]

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    A couple of things.....look at how gassed Coxy is after the second goal but never even looks at the bench.
    Missed the Umile dog whistle every 30 seconds.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-08-2017, 10:58 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Has anyone ever found any video of the unbelievable doubleheader at the Garden - 1977 ECAC Tournament? I've been looking all over for it. Two of the best games I have ever seen in one night.

1st semifinal: UNH 10 - Cornell 9 (Bob Gould scores 19 seconds into the 2nd OT....featuring Dave Lumley, Ralph Cox, Rod Langway, Dan Magnarelli, Bobby Miller)
      2nd semifinal: BU 7 - Clarkson 6 (BU was trailing 6-4 and scored three goals in the final 3:57 - featuring Rick Meagher, Mike Eruzione, Dave Silk, Jim Craig)

Just THOUSANDS of UNH fans there (as well as a large Cornell contingent, including that guy who would always sit in the front row of the first balcony - which anyone who has ever been to a game there knows were the BEST seats in the place - and blow that long airhorn whenever Cornell came out on the ice - or scored). The old barn was rocking and the noise was THUNDEROUS when UNH scored to win that epic game.

Unfortunately, many fans, probably drained from the first game, left early and missed probably an equally incredible finish in the 2nd game.
      I was one of those thousands....started the night in the second balcony where I watched the Gould gamewinner. Always amazed me how those teams could combine for 18 goals in regulation, then play the scoreless first overtime.

By the time BU finished off the comeback I was literally just a couple rows from the ice. Kept working my way down as more and more fans left (sorry Greg, perhaps I approriated your seats along the way.) Can still remember the old fashioned clock in the Garden showing that it was 1:19 AM in the closing minutes.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Well, there is the "rising" UConn program that (1) still hasn't won its first postseason game - much less series - and (2) just lost their best player to the pros. So that should move UNH up to #9 next season anyway ...
        Then RiverFraud will be afraid to play us in the quarterfinals

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
          Then RiverFraud will be afraid to play us in the quarterfinals
          Well, you would still have to get out of the participation round, but I am happy to hear you think Lowell will win the league again next year
          BS UMass Lowell 2015
          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Almost explains why offense today is lets recruit/draft 6'3 guys, "just get it to the net and hope to get a deflection" and "clog up the front of the net" as opposed to "let's develop a system to get a good shot because you have a chance to beat the goalie."

[/old guy]
            The game is so out of balance these days, it's scary.

Isn't padding supposed to be for protection from injury - not protection of the goalie's GAA??

Listen - I'm a soccer guy. I still play goal competitively in *that* sport (and once upon a time *tried* to play goal in this sport), so I'm not necessarily averse to low scores, looking out for those who see the game always coming at them, and appreciating the tension of games where every goal means something. I get it, I really do.

But this wave of guys who are simply big and have worked out a technique to eclipse most of the net with their (legally) oversized pads is wiping the athleticism out of the goalie position. It's not good for the sport.

((( ... this is a recording ... )))
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
              I was one of those thousands....started the night in the second balcony where I watched the Gould gamewinner. Always amazed me how those teams could combine for 18 goals in regulation, then play the scoreless first overtime.

By the time BU finished off the comeback I was literally just a couple rows from the ice. Kept working my way down as more and more fans left (sorry Greg, perhaps I approriated your seats along the way.) Can still remember the old fashioned clock in the Garden showing that it was 1:19 AM in the closing minutes.
              We had great seats, a corner loge at the end where Gould scored the goal. I can still remember the aftermath of the goal, the UNH fans in the balcony right opposite us, and Crowder and Lumley skating over and pumping their sticks, urging the crowd for more. Over the years I've experienced a lot of great moments as a UNH fan but that is one of the top ones in my book. Haydar's OT goal vs. Michigan in Worcester is another btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                The game is so out of balance these days, it's scary.

Isn't padding supposed to be for protection from injury - not protection of the goalie's GAA??

Listen - I'm a soccer guy. I still play goal competitively in *that* sport (and once upon a time *tried* to play goal in this sport), so I'm not necessarily averse to low scores, looking out for those who see the game always coming at them, and appreciating the tension of games where every goal means something. I get it, I really do.

But this wave of guys who are simply big and have worked out a technique to eclipse most of the net with their (legally) oversized pads is wiping the athleticism out of the goalie position. It's not good for the sport.

((( ... this is a recording ... )))
                Chuck, the biggest problem is that the size of the rink, in most cases, and the size of the net have not changed in 100 years. However the players, in most cases, are bigger,,faster, and stronger than ever. Unless the NHL is willing to change the size of both, nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Chuck, the biggest problem is that the size of the rink, in most cases, and the size of the net have not changed in 100 years. However the players, in most cases, are bigger,,faster, and stronger than ever. Unless the NHL is willing to change the size of both, nothing will change.
                  And that's not going to happen, because it would mean removing expensive (although I don't know why - I don't think there's a worse seat in hockey than in the first three rows) seats. Basketball has the same problem (players have outgrown the court) but it would be easier to rectify that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Raise the crossbar a foot. Reduce the excess (non-protective) goalie padding significantly. That's all I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Raise the crossbar a foot. Reduce the excess (non-protective) goalie padding significantly. That's all I ask.
                      That won't happen either. They'll cite "safety concerns" - especially given the equipment (sticks) and the speed with which players can shoot the puck today.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        Well, you would still have to get out of the participation round
                        It would be fine with me if the HE execs grew a pair next season and said team finishing 9-11 don't make the postseason. But we know that aint happening...

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        I am happy to hear you think Lowell will win the league again next year
                        Wouldn't be surprised at all to see you guys win the RS title again next year. It seems that UML is in this decade what UNH was 10-15 years ago (a bunch of regular season titles, less postseason hardware.) I see that RS crown means alot to you guys...

But I will tell you this: I can't remember how many times UNH was the #1 seed back in the better times. But I know I NEVER worried that they might (gasp) have to play the NINE SEED in the first (legitimate) round of the league playoffs.

At this point UNH is playing with house money. Nothing would be better than upsetting UML and lousing up RiverFraud's St Patty's Day plans. Perhaps he can spend it at a Golden Corral instead of the Garden. But even one Wildcat win might mess with Lowell's PWR and remind some people to be careful what they wish for.

Comment

Article about Marcus Vela...who we've been missing!

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/pros...la/c-287513644
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It would be fine with me if the HE execs grew a pair next season and said team finishing 9-11 don't make the postseason. But we know that aint happening...

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see you guys win the RS title again next year. It seems that UML is in this decade what UNH was 10-15 years ago (a bunch of regular season titles, less postseason hardware.) I see that RS crown means alot to you guys...

But I will tell you this: I can't remember how many times UNH was the #1 seed back in the better times. But I know I NEVER worried that they might (gasp) have to play the NINE SEED in the first (legitimate) round of the league playoffs.

At this point UNH is playing with house money. Nothing would be better than upsetting UML and lousing up RiverFraud's St Patty's Day plans. Perhaps he can spend it at a Golden Corral instead of the Garden. But even one Wildcat win might mess with Lowell's PWR and remind some people to be careful what they wish for.
                            Could not agree more!!!!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

That won't happen either. They'll cite "safety concerns" - especially given the equipment (sticks) and the speed with which players can shoot the puck today.
                              What "safety concerns"? The goalies' protective headgear has never been more advanced. Helmets are mandatory for everyone else. If there are more pucks higher, it's an easy fix - just slap face shields/cages on 'em, like in the NCAA. Simple.

No one seems overly concerned about "safety" when goalies play on their knees - sometimes even their stomachs - bringing their heads squarely into the middle of the goal. And there has never been any complaining about the way the rest of the skaters throw themselves in front of pucks. No one seems THAT concerned about puck speed/force.

I've said it before, and I'll say it here again. No one is shooting the puck any faster today than Bobby Hull or Bobby Orr was shooting it a half century ago. And Hull was doing it with a grossly curved stick that would make today's composite materials blush. Until then, sticks were virtually flat, and goalies were mask-less.

But God forbid we dare ask the goalies to trim away the excess padding that's not there for injury protection, but for *protection* of the goalie's GAA. Oh, the horror ...

((( ... I realize I'm probably jumping the gun on the offseason, but we are playing with house money now ... )))

Comment

Well right now its a 2-2 in regular season vs postseason titles, vs 7-2. That being said, it has crossed my mind a bit, but I'm just going to enjoy it and not worry too much about it.

Six times you were the 1 seed, you shared it with BU once.

I would imagine never, but that was a time with far less parity in the league and the national landscape than there is now. I prefer a matchup that suits the team I root for well as opposed to one they have struggled with. We really haven't struggled with UNH in the Bazin era, we have struggled with UConn since they joined HEA.

Also the 9 seed didn't make the playoffs anytime your team has been especially good, so its definitely never (semantics).

Sounding a lot like a BC fan mocking people for enjoying what they enjoy.
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X