Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I won't make a win/loss guess until I see a schedule - but, yes, you can count me as one who thinks next year could easily be more difficult than this season. Kelleher and Cleland will be HUGE losses. Maller, while battling through injuries this season, has also played quite well.

Kelleher carried both the offense and the PP this season - he created his own secondary scoring by getting the absolute most out of his line mates. So much will have to go right for the offense next season for them to approach this years output.

First - can McNicholas and Salvaggio replicate - or come close to - this years production without TK? Everyone knows I love McNicholas, but I don't know if he is a number one playmaker. I'd doubt Salvaggio gets to 20 goals again. (DYK - his 23 goals this season match his total from the last FOUR seasons. Two at UNH and two in junior hockey). He just doesn't have a track record to indicate he's this type of sniper. If he surprises and does it again, he'll earn himself a nice FA contract. But, I wouldn't bet on it...

Assuming they do replicate their 2016-17 seasons, they'll still need a lot of help. Grasso will enter the season with high expectations, but don't forget that nearly half his points came playing on the loaded top PP unit. He was also a minus-16 last I checked. He will need to make a big step on both ends of the ice to give this team a chance. He's the most likely to step into Kelleher's role and that's asking a lot...

You'll also need to see that typical upperclass UNH forward spike in production from a senior like Eiserman, as well as MUCH improved play from Vela. Blackburn, BVR or Fregona, or all three, will need to join Grasso with Trevor Smith type sophomore jumps.

Remember, Tyler Kelleher only scored 16 points adjusting to NCAA hockey. So, Charlie will need some time too. Hopefully he and MacAdams can offer a significant upgrade to the lower line depth and ability to defend.

Without TK, I believe this years UNH team is well below average offensively. To be above average next year, they'll need all of the above to occur. I would expect that process is made, in particular by Blackburn and Grasso, but I don't think it's enough for next years team to be as dangerous as this season's club. So, step back...

Defensively, I think very few realize just HOW valuable Cleland was. He played obscene minutes, blocked a ton of shots (more than any other D over the last two years, I believe) and was the lone reliable breakout/offensive contributor. He is sorely overlooked - one media member said he didnt deserve All-HE second team honors "because defense counts, too." For the last two years he was UNHs defense and without him, things would have been really ugly without him. Statements like that do him a disservice...

Maller finally played to his potential this season and finished first in the team in plus-minus. He was also extremely solid and consistent - when healthy. Filling his shoes would be a lot to ask of a freshman defenseman. Let alone Cleland's.

For the D to avoid a step back - they'll need Wyse to progress towards being a true #1. Does he have that in him? Or is he a second pair guy who will have to take on #1 responsibility? Marks is who he is - quietly solid.

After that - lots of question marks. Chanter is always going to make mistakes. Can he limit those and play at a more steady level? Is Boyd healthy enough to play? Dawson needs to be much better in his own end and Nonis still has a lot of developing to do.

After Wyse and Marks - a lot will depend on the freshmen. Gildon has a ton of talent, but is still a FR. The team really needs him to immediately anchor at least the second pairing. That's a big ask.

Miller and Maase are both tall and slight, with questions on now they'll play in their own end - they should bring better skating and hopefully breakout ability, but how will they muscle in their own end? What happens if the game is fast for them as FR and their breakouts suffer? It's a huge plus for me that Miller was picked up by Penticton. Maase seems to have a lot of ability in him, but how long will it take hind to adjust. He has a big jump from MN HS.

Darcy was a big get at the time, but his development has really stalled. I don't think he contributes early - but I could also be very wrong.

Overall there are too many question marks and too large a void left by Cleland for me not to think the unit takes a step back. With Wyse a SO and the three freshmen - hopefully it's at worst a step back to take three steps forward in the years to follow.

As far as the goaltending - I think it's more of the same. Tirone and Clark are who they are. I don't think you can count on Tirone for anything more than inconsistent but average goaltending. Clark is apparently never going to get a shot - at least under Umile.

Robinson has talent and size, but he still needs to put it together. It'd be great if that happened immediately, but after being traded out of the USHL and struggling the last couple seasons that's likely asking too much.

So, steps back on O and D and the same goaltending leads me to believe it could be a long year. One where looking towards the future and player development (plus recruiting) is where we find satisfaction. I see UNH finishing in the bottom four again (creeping, at least closer, to the two UMs) - and hope there at signs of climbing the standings in future seasons.

---

Of you don't like that answer - Here is the optimist guide....

- Vela jumps up with Salvaggio and McNicholas, who get him going as all three push 40 points.

- Freshman trio takes a step forward and gives UNH a 1b scoring line.

- Eiserman, Nazarian and MacAdams provide UNH with a strong skating checking line that can chip in offense.

- Kelleher, Miller, Fregona keep pucks out of the net and grow offensively as season progresses.

- Developing Wyse and senior Marks five UNH a steady and reliable top pair.

- Gildon and Miller/Maass adjust immediately and are sturdy in their own end.

- Third pair is not a liability and can skate a regular shift.

- Tirone starts hot and rides the wave all season or Robinson is ready from Day 1

Optimist ceiling - top half HE
    I like both renditions and thanks for being straight up about what we have. You are so right about Clelands contributions and agree those comments (bloggers) truly do not come close to what he truly means to this team and the work he does defensively. But I digress on that. I think we should expect a ton of growing pains as well as possible break outs from some of the upper classmen.

I'm waiting for decent production from guys like Vela and we will need Eiserman to come tribute as a big time two way player. Some think Charlie K has gifts that will help out as he develops and he and Grasso could create a dynamic duo down the stretch.

In no way are he and his brother the same player (as no two players are alike; all bring different strengths to the game) and I look forward to seeing what he can bring. I know you like McNick (so do I) and he had a bigggg weekend that hopefully can carry into next season as a Senior. But alas the playmaking from TyK made them what they were this season in many ways and they all pretty much say as much. Think we can all agree on that.

I've watched Cam Marks in a ton of games since he arrived and until this weekend I was not using the term "solid" for him on a regular basis BUT he played very, very well this weekend I thought. Really do depend on him. Would like to see him He needs to stand up his man and produce offensively...Next year is a good time to do that and I believe he has it in him!

Really saw what Wyse is capable of this weekend. His ability to skate the puck out of the zone and attack to me come closer to what Cleland provides than any of them and I say this without seeing what Gildon and Maas (exited for both to arrive) will do. Clelands loss will be felt like Pesce's as far as the blue line is concerned. That being said we could see improvement as we go along. UNH does need a defensive minded coach as we've discussed but that's going to come I suspect when the shift in power happens..

I do want to add that this weekend I watched our team bench in action and he (Souza) was highly engaged in time outs with coaching. Esp on Saturday night. The team knew they had to keep it going and even when we were doing our usual in the dzone there was urgency to get it out. They will have to bring that (and more) this weekend but it was great to see.

Zoofer your points are well taken and I agree; making predicitons based on so many factors we can't control is meaningless! I enjoy talking (yeah can't you tell) about the team and convos like these are more in line with what I am here for. Unlike e.cat, who is here to help I LOVE your optimistic view of the what could be for the weekend! Keep coming back mk? I would not look past UNH... Stranger things have happened in sports.

Oh and I just have to go back to the win reading the stories that the games this weekend were decided by poor officiating can't quite see that but hey you have to hang your hat on something. Losing when you've had a great second half as to hurt. Dominating on the ice in zone time and SOG's should provide the winner. Lucky for us we were highly opportunistic and DT stood on his head. (He earned HE's Player of the Week and rightly so). And lucky for us we have a player like TyK.

That being said and "bad"officiating aside (and oh it went both ways believe me) the 'Cats did surprise. It felt great to be on the other side of how I felt last year when I left there...and to savor the wins in the morning.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-07-2017, 08:13 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Chuck, it is a stretch. If Umile is indeed going to call it a day, I doubt he decided that, if we lose Imgo, if we win I stay.
      Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Exactly - I can't believe that if Umile was planning on leaving - or being pushed to leave - that winning Sunday and earning the chance to (likely) be swept at Lowell changes everyone's mind.

If this is the end, that decision has probably already been made. If the decision has been made, Umile will follow through on it regardless of outcome. I'm sure he sees that as limited as the team is this season, it is only going to be more so next season...

We'll find out soon if he sees this and isn't willing to go through another difficult year or if he simply can't let go of what has been his life for so long...
      Greg, I think Dan scraped closer to the truth in at least pointing out that it's really no longer up to Coach at this point. There's only a year left on his contract, so the cost of a buyout was (is?) never going to be better. And not to be totally insensitive ... but if UNH can afford to plop a cool million on that football message board that sent this board into apoplectic fits a few months ago, I'm pretty sure they could scrape up about half of that in the seat cushions at the President's offices to send Coach to Florida instead of Durham next October.

The key to what happened this past weekend - putting aside NRN and The Quest and all other diversions - is that it stopped what was an almost unthinkably bad end to this season. I mean, last season was rough enough, but to a degree, we chalked it up as an aberration, the worst in Umile's career by far, etc. No way that can happen again this season. And right through most of January, yeah, things look pretty decent, you know it's going to be tough down the stretch ... but then, there it was again, and even worse than last season's nosedive. The end of the BU game, then getting swept by UConn, and a 4-0 loss in the opening game at Merrimack ... Greg, even you were on here calling for Coach to step down. I think we all saw a team that was mailing it in, and a coach who no longer had the answers, and seemed lost.

And let's face it, if you go by the conventional wisdom out there, y'know. that somehow SOG's mean something, then you gotta give it to Tirone for winning those last two games. It's not like UNH came out and was dominant from whistle to buzzer. But the "magic" in the aftermath of those wins includes:

* People now get to immediately flush what would have been an U-G-L-Y finish to this season, with the "Q" word floating over his players - even worse than last year's finish (and that's saying something, as you'll both recall);
      * Coach (and likely at least as importantly, the AD) gets to point to "progress" in making it back to the QF's;
      * Coach (and likely at least as importantly, the AD) gets to point to "progress" with at least 3 more W's this season;
      * And last ... yes, the NRN has just gotten much more attainable - something the AD can handle if he wants to.

Without this past weekend's two wins ... it's still an ugly end to the season, there is no real progress (arguably, two of the same seasons is regression, when they're both so pitifully poor), and did anyone on here think 17 wins were going to suddenly materialize for next season?

I'm not saying even *just* 15 wins next season is going to be a layup. It should be, sure ... and BS35+5 can make it happen (or at least make it much more attainable). Sure, it could get squeamish and awkward late next season if 600 is just beyond his reach when we get to the postseason. But the AD will know if it doesn't happen, he did his best to help his pal out the door as positively as possible.

But if they lost this past weekend - especially if Game 2 was a repeat of Game 1 - wow if you guys don't think Coach's boss doesn't think long and hard on that one, I dunno what to think. You guys must think even less of the AD than I do ... and that's a very low bar.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

haha Love this about Mike Babcock losing a bet to JvR on this weekend's series!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/babcock-...nh-hat~1071852
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          haha Love this about Mike Babcock losing a bet to JvR on this weekend's series!!

That's awesome. Babs doesn't look very happy about it. JvR is probably lucky the trade deadline is behind him.

Every little bit helps in getting UNH out there in the provinces to boost their recruiting efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

The good thing is he has the correct hat on at the end of the video.
            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

To get you guys out of the doldrums, I just posted UNH's best improbable moments on that thread........Mike,Greg, Snively, and Chuck you'll love the '74' real C-H-C line at Snively.....and then the 2009 UNH-North Dakota win at the regionals in ManchVegas...........It's always the journey! (I wish I could tell you what watching the 74 video brought back, watching those guys......the moments of our lives)

Comment

Has anyone ever found any video of the unbelievable doubleheader at the Garden - 1977 ECAC Tournament? I've been looking all over for it. Two of the best games I have ever seen in one night.

1st semifinal: UNH 10 - Cornell 9 (Bob Gould scores 19 seconds into the 2nd OT....featuring Dave Lumley, Ralph Cox, Rod Langway, Dan Magnarelli, Bobby Miller)
                2nd semifinal: BU 7 - Clarkson 6 (BU was trailing 6-4 and scored three goals in the final 3:57 - featuring Rick Meagher, Mike Eruzione, Dave Silk, Jim Craig)

Just THOUSANDS of UNH fans there (as well as a large Cornell contingent, including that guy who would always sit in the front row of the first balcony - which anyone who has ever been to a game there knows were the BEST seats in the place - and blow that long airhorn whenever Cornell came out on the ice - or scored). The old barn was rocking and the noise was THUNDEROUS when UNH scored to win that epic game.

Unfortunately, many fans, probably drained from the first game, left early and missed probably an equally incredible finish in the 2nd game.
                Last edited by chickod; 03-07-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Here's the "famous" clip from Snively...UNH vs RPI.

And watch how WILD the crowd is going. This is one for the ages...

Look at the goalie equipment and how much they actually have to MOVE to cover the goal, which looks gigantic compared to today.

Comment

A couple of things.....look at how gassed Coxy is after the second goal but never even looks at the bench......Coxy used to practice going uppers from the front crease line all the time, as he did on the first goal.......having the fence around the ice at Snively was such a home ice benie for us.......fans used to grab opposing jerseys and glove ties.......Loved Snively! 😍 Always had the best ice too....

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Has anyone ever found any video of the unbelievable doubleheader at the Garden - 1977 ECAC Tournament? I've been looking all over for it. Two of the best games I have ever seen in one night.

1st semifinal: UNH 10 - Cornell 9 (Bob Gould scores 19 seconds into the 2nd OT....featuring Dave Lumley, Ralph Cox, Rod Langway, Dan Magnarelli, Bobby Miller)
                      2nd semifinal: BU 7 - Clarkson 6 (BU was trailing 6-4 and scored three goals in the final 3:57 - featuring Rick Meagher, Mike Eruzione, Dave Silk, Jim Craig)

Just THOUSANDS of UNH fans there (as well as a large Cornell contingent, including that guy who would always sit in the front row of the first balcony - which anyone who has ever been to a game there knows were the BEST seats in the place - and blow that long airhorn whenever Cornell came out on the ice - or scored). The old barn was rocking and the noise was THUNDEROUS when UNH scored to win that epic game.

Unfortunately, many fans, probably drained from the first game, left early and missed probably an equally incredible finish in the 2nd game.
                      Ugh! Don't remind me. My group left between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the BU-Clarkson game. I think Clarkson was up by three. We were headed for Chinatown, got stuck in traffic and heard BU take the lead. All offense back then.

Comment

Bump to move Asian spam off first page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          I'm on it! Sneak preview: The off season to watch is at Boston University...
                          Bump
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Great post Dan. Now if someone could factor into the mix the decline or loss of talent of the rest of the teams in HE we'd get a better picture of how things sugar off next year. Way above my pay grade to even attempt!
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Well, there is the "rising" UConn program that (1) still hasn't won its first postseason game - much less series - and (2) just lost their best player to the pros. So that should move UNH up to #9 next season anyway ...

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                A couple of things.....look at how gassed Coxy is after the second goal but never even looks at the bench......Coxy used to practice going uppers from the front crease line all the time, as he did on the first goal.......having the fence around the ice at Snively was such a home ice benie for us.......fans used to grab opposing jerseys and glove ties.......Loved Snively! 😍 Always had the best ice too....
                                Coxy roofed one while parked just outside the crease one time which is still is the best goal I've ever seen save for Hemingways between the legs gem. The long blonde hair flowing out
                                added to his aura too. Fun to watch...
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X