Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Personally, I find it's the low ceilings at places like Merrimack, Schneider (a/k/a The Coffin) and even the old Walter Brown Arena at BU that makes me enjoy them less than (say) Mathews, Gutterson, old Snively, etc. Almost claustrophobic that way. Merrimack has done a nice job upgrading within the existing footprint, but I've often wondered why they didn't just start from scratch? I mean, you wanna play D-1 with the big boys of Hockey East ... why not just jump in with both feet, instead of continuing with a facility that doesn't reflect a D-1 commitment?
    Well, obviously they don't have to do ANYTHING to compete with UHN...

Comment

Enough of this. Umile's best days are behind him from a coaching/recruiting standpoint. UNH needs some fresh blood injected into the program, or there's no getting off the mediocrity treadmill. Umile must go.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Well, obviously they don't have to do ANYTHING to compete with UHN...
        80% of Hockey East can say the same these days.

I've always liked the Merrimack program. I think they have a terrific coach who is getting the most out of his program, as it stands. But if you're going to be a D-2 or D-3 school competing in a legit D-1 conference (and that's a swipe at my alma mater in Waltham) ... shouldn't you at least try to set the program up to compete at the highest level possible? If not ... why even bother??

It doesn't have to be Agganis or even The Whitt. And the locker room facilities might have the greatest carpeting known to man, and the weight room may be state of the art, while the audio system might even go all the way up to 11. But there have to be a significant number of potential recruits who have a negative visceral reaction to the rink, and decide they'd rather play at Lowell or Northeastern, or even UMaine or UNH.

Lowell used to have an even worse facility (Tully Forum). Sure, they got some help from Papa Tsongas, but look at where they are now. Lowell and MC Hockey both come from D-2 roots. One program has emerged as a legit title contender, the other has an effective ceiling right about halfway up the standings.

I really don't want this to come off as bagging on MC, but if you played a Hockey East-wide game of "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others" regarding their respective facilities, MC finishes last, and by a wide margin. That can be changed. And I really hope someday MC does something about it. Unless of course, the school and its fans are OK with being a habitual 7th/8th place finisher in your best seasons.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
          Enough of this. Umile's best days are behind him from a coaching/recruiting standpoint. UNH needs some fresh blood injected into the program, or there's no getting off the mediocrity treadmill. Umile must go.
          Another 4 periods like the last two, and you just might get your wish.

Comment

I've always liked the Merrimack program. I think they have a terrific coach who is getting the most out of his program, as it stands. But if you're going to be a D-2 or D-3 school competing in a legit D-1 conference (and that's a swipe at my alma mater in Waltham) ... shouldn't you at least try to set the program up to compete at the highest level possible? If not ... why even bother??

It doesn't have to be Agganis or even The Whitt. And the locker room facilities might have the greatest carpeting known to man, and the weight room may be state of the art, while the audio system might even go all the way up to 11. But there have to be a significant number of potential recruits who have a negative visceral reaction to the rink, and decide they'd rather play at Lowell or Northeastern, or even UMaine or UNH.

Lowell used to have an even worse facility (Tully Forum). Sure, they got some help from Papa Tsongas, but look at where they are now. Lowell and MC Hockey both come from D-2 roots. One program has emerged as a legit title contender, the other has an effective ceiling right about halfway up the standings.

I really don't want this to come off as bagging on MC, but if you played a Hockey East-wide game of "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others" regarding their respective facilities, MC finishes last, and by a wide margin. That can be changed. And I really hope someday MC does something about it. Unless of course, the school and its fans are OK with being a habitual 7th/8th place finisher in your best seasons.
            Just about everything you say is true. I guess I'm just a little disgusted as I sit here watching this (MP....whatever you called it round) where, at this moment (well into the 3rd period of all the games), the "losing" team hasn't even SCORED A GOAL IN ANY OF THE GAMES YET. Jeez...

EDIT: That I just paid 59 bucks for, by the way..

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Just about everything you say is true. I guess I'm just a little disgusted as I sit here watching this (MP....whatever you called it round) where, at this moment (well into the 3rd period of all the games), the "losing" team hasn't even SCORED A GOAL IN ANY OF THE GAMES YET. Jeez...

EDIT: That I just paid 59 bucks for, by the way..
              At least Joey "Buttons" Bertagna appreciates your generosity, chickod.

I really do wish the teams finishing below 8th place wouldn't qualify for the (alleged) Make Believe Phony Baloney Everyone Gets A Medal "postseason". Make the regular season really mean something.

Comment

Chuck, how many rinks have you been to in recent times? Hockey East doesn't have the following it once did and I think Merrimack has the perfect size for the brave new world we are in.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

At least Joey "Buttons" Bertagna appreciates your generosity, chickod.

I really do wish the teams finishing below 8th place wouldn't qualify for the (alleged) Make Believe Phony Baloney Everyone Gets A Medal "postseason". Make the regular season really mean something.
                  I have to agree. And I would say that even if BU finished 9th or worse. So I am just waiting for another 2:11 to go by for FOUR SHUTOUTS to happen (but UConn has a 2-man advantage plus the goalie pulled). We may have to pull out the record books for this. Has this ever happened before (ALL teams get shutout)? (And Matthews Arena is virtually empty...)

EDIT: Dam!!!!!! UConn just scored...
                  Last edited by chickod; 03-03-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Wow, 4-0. Imagine what the score would have been if Merrimack had a decent rink
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      Wow, 4-0. Imagine what the score would have been if Merrimack had a decent rink
                      Bottom feeders were outscored 15-1 tonight. The league is a joke this year. So, is tomorrow night it for the coach? Did not go tonight but was in constant texting contact with a friend who did. He observed that Umile was pretty slump shouldered as he walked off after the second period. He exited directly to the coach's room, not the locker room. The proverbial passing of the torch? I know there is not a lot of love for DU on this forum, but he was behind the bench for a lot of the best years of UNH Hockey. Just amazing how his end parallels the end of his coach, Charlie Holt. Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        I know there is not a lot of love for DU on this forum, but he was behind the bench for a lot of the best years of UNH Hockey. Just amazing how his end parallels the end of his coach, Charlie Holt. Time to move on.
                        That's almost always how it ends, isn't it? How many go out on top? As I mentioned last week (when bringing up similar scenarios at BU, BC and Michigan), one of the guys who got it right was David Ortiz. He left before his skills eroded to the point where it was embarrassing. MOST people don't know when to give it up, in ANY profession. The only difference is that people don't pay to watch what we do. I remember my Dad who had to give up his business due to Parkinson's Disease. It's really sad. And I know a lot of people are upset, but we need to have some compassion. It's the toughest decision a person makes in their entire life, and when you're in the public eye, it can be tough to leave the bright lights behind. Let's hope he makes the right decision but let's not bash him on the way out the door (I'm agreeing with you).

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Bottom feeders were outscored 15-1 tonight. The league is a joke this year. So, is tomorrow night it for the coach? Did not go tonight but was in constant texting contact with a friend who did. He observed that Umile was pretty slump shouldered as he walked off after the second period. He exited directly to the coach's room, not the locker room. The proverbial passing of the torch? I know there is not a lot of love for DU on this forum, but he was behind the bench for a lot of the best years of UNH Hockey. Just amazing how his end parallels the end of his coach, Charlie Holt. Time to move on.
                          Greg how sad really...you and so many here have seen a lot of amazing years and it's hard to see them play the way they have the past few (well many) games as of late. I cannot speak for everyone here but there is a lot of respect for what he has done...we surely do understand. Anyone that doesn't look at his record and what he's been able to do well they don't get it. But all things come to their end. Not sure if this is it but there does come a time...

Going back to the game Merrimack executed and we did not/could not. 4 power plays that didn't mount much offense. Second goal can't even think of it now. Ok well tomorrow we'll see what's what. For the Seniors sake I would love to see it go three but thinking there is blood in the water...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            That's almost always how it ends, isn't it? How many go out on top? As I mentioned last week (when bringing up similar scenarios at BU, BC and Michigan), one of the guys who got it right was David Ortiz. He left before his skills eroded to the point where it was embarrassing. MOST people don't know when to give it up, in ANY profession. The only difference is that people don't pay to watch what we do. I remember my Dad who had to give up his business due to Parkinson's Disease. It's really sad. And I know a lot of people are upset, but we need to have some compassion. It's the toughest decision a person makes in their entire life, and when you're in the public eye, it can be tough to leave the bright lights behind. Let's hope he makes the right decision but let's not bash him on the way out the door (I'm agreeing with you).
                            I sold my business 2 1/2 years ago. No health problems, no real money worries, just time to leave. I knew the business (insurance) was evolving rapidly and I either needed to ratchet up my intensity or get out. So I got out. No regrets. I was hyper competitive for a lot of years but when you get to a certain age you're fooling yourself if you don't see that the times are passing you by. Umile is about my age and knowing him as I did back when I was involved, it surprises me that he just hung on. Not the way he should have gone out. Not the first to fail to see the obvious and he won't be the last. Just time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              I sold my business 2 1/2 years ago. No health problems, no real money worries, just time to leave. I knew the business (insurance) was evolving rapidly and I either needed to ratchet up my intensity or get out. So I got out. No regrets. I was hyper competitive for a lot of years but when you get to a certain age you're fooling yourself if you don't see that the times are passing you by. Umile is about my age and knowing him as I did back when I was involved, it surprises me that he just hung on. Not the way he should have gone out. Not the first to fail to see the obvious and he won't be the last. Just time to move on.
                              Yes. Agreed.

Comment

Tonight I hit Bentley's rink in Watertown to see Sacred Heart play and all I have to say is "yikes!" Makes Merrimack's facility look like the TD Garden. Thank god they're building a new rink on campus as I have no idea how you survive as a DI program in that place. There was even a gentleman in the row in front of me who unsolicited said to me "How can a DI program play here? Is it even regulation?" so it wasn't just me taken aback by it. After seeing that place tonight, I will never diss Merrimack's facility again as at least they've done upgrades you can't see and ones you can like the second ice sheet, expanded lobby, etc.
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Working...
                                X