Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Haven't seen the box score but we probably won SOG too! Haha. I know how important it is to Chuckie for UNH to keep the shots to a minimum!
    Actually believe it was 27 each...3 'Cats have multipoint nights with McNick (2goals 2 assists) Cleland with 3 assists and TyK with 5 assists. A little let down at the end but once we acclimated to the smaller surface we played well. Prob saving Maller as Nonis gets another game.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-08-2017, 05:33 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Actually believe it was 27 each...3 'Cats have multipoint nights with McNick (2goals 2 assists) Cleland with 3 assists and TyK with 5 assists. A little let down at the end but once we acclimated to the smaller surface we played well. Prob saving Maller as Nonis gets another game.
      Well, ya know, it must have been tough to play this game after just playing Friday night! They must have had tired legs!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Well, ya know, it must have been tough to play this game after just playing Friday night! They must have had tired legs!
        Hahahaha I see what you did there 😉 On another note Kelleher leads the nation in points with 40!
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Hahahaha I see what you did there 😉 On another note Kelleher leads the nation in points with 40!
          I'm just here to help

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Souza knows this Brown team well, as he recruited most of the upperclassmen.
            Should we be concerned??
            Last edited by Scott; 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM.
            UNH

Comment

"UNH Power Play Dominates, Cats Down Brown 7-4"
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

As seen on Twitter:
                Kelleher's five points tonight gives him 144 for his career, tying him with head coach Dick Umile on the all-time UNH list (31st).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Should we be concerned??
                  I was thinking the same thing - but just with the and not so much the

We can revisit the issue of Coach Souza's recruiting prowess when we face UConn at the end of the RS.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    Haven't seen the box score but we probably won SOG too! Haha. I know how important it is to Chuckie for UNH to keep the shots to a minimum!
                    No worries. Just another game where SOG's weren't even close to being an indicator of the outcome.

Comment

WIS Productions brings you the latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 581
                      Wins Remaining to the next round number: 19
                      *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 52
                      Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 36.6%
                      WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 67%
                      2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 9/15 (60%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

No surprises this past weekend, as UNH (as predicted) fell short in a deceptively close 2-1 loss to UMass-Lowell, and then after unexpected weather-related free time in Providence on Saturday night, the 'Cats blasted the Brown Brownies ... err, Cupcakes ... oops, Bruins 7-4 after running up a 7-1 edge. Another productive night from UNH's emerging Hobey frontrunner (and D-1 leading scorer) Tyler Kelleher masked what I'd say was the hidden story of the weekend ... and that's whether or not Kelleher is going to be able to grind out some production in the tough conference games coming up over the next month-and-a-half. Getting shut out (and largely shut down) against Coach Bazin's Riverhawks definitely set off warning bells around the place. No one wants to see the same horror movie we saw in early 2016 again.

The Big Picture - WIS experts' projection that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 games of the season missed the mark, but with today's win (and a 10-8-2 record), the boys are only slightly behind the projected pace, and close enough to keep hope alive that they can at least get to the 15 win mark by the end of the season. This next set of games against Northeastern will be arguably the closest UNH gets to a cupcake opponent for the rest of the regular season. And make no mistake - Northeastern is NOT a cupcake, as their schedule has been tougher overall, and they managed to not lose to Bentley OR ASFU in two games apiece. Northeastern has to be looking at this week's games as their chance to jump-start their season - Coach Mad-Again I'm sure won't miss this trick - and last year that's exactly what they did. For UNH ... they've got to win at least one of these two games. A sweep would set the boys up for the tough stretch ahead as well as we could have hoped (exceeding last year's win total already); getting swept would put a dent in things.

WIS is also setting up a proposition bet on how long into the game it will be before BottleRocket Jim goes off for the first deigned slight to his Huskies' chances (over/under 20:00). The smart money is on whenever Kelleher lights the lamp, and an "illegal fish" gets thrown onto the ice too close to NU's netminder. If it happens on his way off the ice between the first and second periods, that's a push (and WIS keeps the whole kitty ). That's a trick of the trade I learned from my old pal Sully, a BC alum/alcoholic/bookie from Southie. But I digress.

Predictions:

Thursday (Jan. 12th): @ UNH 4 Northeastern 3
                      Saturday (Jan. 14th): UNH 2 @ Northeastern 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: None on the horizon, at least until the MBPBEGAM playoffs

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Paying attention? Yes. Worried? Again, heck no. UNH had a decent, unsurprising week, and has somehow nipped in ahead of UNH Hoops as the first to 10 wins (kudos Felger). Another win next weekend, and it's just kicking the can another block down the street, while Coach Herrion and his crew try to regain positive momentum and attention on his program across the street. A sweep over Northeastern, and it's impossible for UNH to slip below .500 before the end of this month. But with BS35+4 likely to be entertaining some of his most important boosters (internal and external) on Saturday night at Fenway, a strong performance in that setting could give Coach Umile even more cover than he's already built up this season to date. As noted earlier ... UNH is closing in on last year's win total, so the "nuclear option" of not allowing Umile to finish up the 3rd and final year of his long goodbye tour is starting to gradually fade away. The trick from here on out is to build a cushion as far over 15 wins as possible this season, and then let the soon-to-be BS35+5 do the rest with his scheduling magic.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Kelleher's five points tonight gives him 144 for his career, tying him with head coach Dick Umile on the all-time UNH list (31st).
                        Congratulations to him AND to all his team/line-mates who've helped him score enough points to now leapfrog over the Union Big 2 into first place in the National scoring race ... But, as a fan of many decades who's long appreciated the 'Cats well-earned reputation for clean play, the SMTs are back, baby! #60 and dead last in penalty minutes/game, one of only 2 teams in the Nation (along with SCSU) clocking in at under 10 PM/game - well done. Don't get me wrong, there are times I cringe along with nearly everyone around me when a risky/hard check is avoided and an opponent just skates on by, but on the whole I'm a firm believer in 'the less time spent in the box, the better' ... BC (#8 in PM/game) may have the talent to overcome long stretches of short-handed play, but the 'Cats - as I'd think we'd all agree - do not. Me thinks minimizing the time spent 'feeling shame' in the box is a good thing, and UNH seems to have perfected that skill to a high art - good for them ...

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                          Congratulations to him AND to all his team/line-mates who've helped him score enough points to now leapfrog over the Union Big 2 into first place in the National scoring race ... But, as a fan of many decades who's long appreciated the 'Cats well-earned reputation for clean play, the SMTs are back, baby! #60 and dead last in penalty minutes/game, one of only 2 teams in the Nation (along with SCSU) clocking in at under 10 PM/game - well done. Don't get me wrong, there are times I cringe along with nearly everyone around me when a risky/hard check is avoided and an opponent just skates on by, but on the whole I'm a firm believer in 'the less time spent in the box, the better' ... BC (#8 in PM/game) may have the talent to overcome long stretches of short-handed play, but the 'Cats - as I'd think we'd all agree - do not. Me thinks minimizing the time spent 'feeling shame' in the box is a good thing, and UNH seems to have perfected that skill to a high art - good for them ...
                          I'm sure C.J.Smith agrees with you...

Been waiting for the moral compasses on here to weigh in on how Smith should probably go pro since the league isn't going to protect its better players. But hey, I guess consistent thought is too much to ask on this board.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                            good points! Last night we were in the box I think only once...while Brown gave us ample time to score a few goals while they languished in the box! Chuck, speaking of Northeastern, I watched the UVM/NU game Friday night and UNH will have to crack their D to get to their GK (Ruck) who isn't having his best season to be successful. I think we will be lucky to win one (we could and should?) but it won't be a cake (oops) walk that's for sure. I predict a split for the weekend and hope it 'warms up' for Fenway!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Personally, I've always been in the "give me the lead and you can have the SOG's, and I'll take my chances" camp. I thought Lowell played the perfect road game last night under the circumstances.
                              I've always been in the "give me the W and who cares what the SOG'S, or any other stat are" camp.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                As seen on Twitter:
                                Of course DU did it in about 50 less games. Guess it was an injustice he didn't win the Hobey
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X