Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Granted it IS a tough rink no doubt about it but your plan sounds about right.
    The thing is, we never said this in "the good ole days." it was an easy place to play when the Cats were good.

Admittedly, MC is better than they used to be.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      The thing is, we never said this in "the good ole days." it was an easy place to play when the Cats were good.
      So true. Home away from home. More ticket starved UNH fans than Merrimack fans, like clockwork.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        So true. Home away from home. More ticket starved UNH fans than Merrimack fans, like clockwork.
        Same at Lowell. Some of us used to call Tsongas "Whittemore South" as the place would turn into a UNH home game. I remember athletics even marketing to UNH to help generate ticket sales.
        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Awesome; see you there. We UNH fans have to stick together. Sitting somewhere in Section 12...It would be highly gratifying to make it out of this round. At least they are still playing....even if most feel this first round is nothing more than a HE $$grab. And nada on a third game if it goes that far. Too hard and I've got school in the morning. Besides, I'd rather be home doing my usual 'pace back and forth'...ha!

ps lost in all of this is that our Tyler Kelleher shares top scoring honors in the nation (along with NU's Zach Aston-Reese) with 59 points. TyK also wins the HE scoring title, the second Wildcat to do so in two years with Andrew Poturalski winning it last year. Jason Salvaggio had a great regular season with 21 goals, as well as Michael McNick with his 38 points, along with his 9 PP goals. Bright spot on the D of course is Captain Matias Cleland in 5th slot for assists. Rookie forward Patrick Grasso potted 17 goals.
          Finally I would be remiss if I didn't mention Danny Tirone who gets a lot of flack (guilty as charged on occasion) But if you sat behind him on Sat nite you would see like I did just how hard he works to keep the puck out of the net. Well done.
          TK surprised me the second half continuing to tally points against a tough schedule. He unlike Pots last year was able to adjust. His defensive hustle and back checking remains suspect.

As for Tirone I agree he works hard but that doesn't mean he is not without fault. He is continually out of position, down on the ice too early and did not keep his team in games. He will make a miraculous save gen moments later let a soft goal in killing any momentum

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
            TK surprised me the second half continuing to tally points against a tough schedule. He unlike Pots last year was able to adjust. His defensive hustle and back checking remains suspect.

As for Tirone I agree he works hard but that doesn't mean he is not without fault. He is continually out of position, down on the ice too early and did not keep his team in games. He will make a miraculous save gen moments later let a soft goal in killing any momentum
            Yeah I hear what you are saying about DT's technique. In his defense it can't be easy to be on as much as he's expected to be...the lopsided SOG's he sometimes faces etc. but that being said...that is the lot of the goal tender. Hopefully with the arrival of the new D next year things even up abit if we can replace the obvious TyK contributions. I look forward to Mike Robinson's arrival as well. He seems to fit that 'mold' that so many of you speak regarding goal tenders, goal keepers haha as it were! Kelleher will no doubt move on right after the season ends. You speak of Pots' lack of production in the second half...he seems to be doing just fine now. (not to excuse the lack of goals in the second half for whatever reason).

Without calling myself an apologist I just try to recognize good work when I see it. And that game Saturday night DT deserved some recognition for our lack of offense. You can't play defense all night without losing most of the time. That's where we have been for the past couple of seasons. That is a fact, and not an apology. Our record has not been a total reflection of his game. Would a stronger goalie have made the difference? In some games, yes. Momentum killers, I'd agree with that.

My husband pointed out that we don't score many goals on transition like we used to. Seems to me in the past speedy forwards picked up the puck and away they went. Strong, capable blueliners skated it out of the zone, put the shot on net, rebounds were scored upon. This was our game and can be again. Anyway... offense wins games; defense, championships!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Sorry to break up all the negativity but here's a story on Tyler Kelleher:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...ate-dick-umile
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                Sorry to break up all the negativity but here's a story on Tyler Kelleher:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...ate-dick-umile
                Thank you Jeff appreciate the excellent article about TyK!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Not to carry the Umile "will-he-stay-or-will-he-go" theories any further, but my wife and I noticed something interesting going on at center ice about an hour before game time. We usually get there early (6 pm-ish) and walk several laps around the Whitt before settling in for the game. Anyway, down at center ice was Coach Umile with his family, daughters and grandchildren posing in the player's box for photos. We had never seen this happen before, and wondered what the occasion could have been. A thought passed through each of our heads: Was this some sort of celebration marking his final regular season home game behind the UNH bench?

Yes, it was Senior Night with plenty of professional photographers in the house, but it just seemed odd that Umile's entire family was there for a "photo op". It could have very well been some other family celebration of sorts. To us however, it just seemed to insinuate that retirement was indeed imminent.
                  UNH

Comment

Really a shame ... I'd SO much prefer to see hockey at Mathews Arena than that HS rink up in North Andover.
                    Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Watching those two lines burn out the scoreboard would have been enjoyable hockey win or lose. Watching MC stifle the life out of the sport in that box of a rink will be less enjoyable...
                    Would you guys like some nice camembert with that whine?
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• UNH hoops won their 20th tonight. Any guess the next time the hockey team does that?

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                        Would you guys like some nice camembert with that whine?
                        Sorry, win or (more than likely) lose, id rather UNH did so against a team with a less boring style of play. Good luck this weekend...
                        Last edited by Dan; 03-01-2017, 09:20 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Bump to get all the Asian spam off the front page.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            UNH hoops won their 20th tonight. Any guess the next time the hockey team does that?
                            I'll reserve judgment on that until I see the schedule BS35+5 comes up with for next season.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Sorry, win or (more than likely) lose, id rather UNH did so against a team with a less boring style of play. Good luck this weekend...
                              haha you might get your wish if we can beat Merrimack this weekend and play UML.... Go 'Cats!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I'll reserve judgment on that until I see the schedule BS35+5 comes up with for next season.
                                With Notre Dame leaving that opens up another couple spots for caloric intake...
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X