Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    UNH has to rediscover their scoring touch ASAP
    With all due respect Chuck -

Has this team ever really demonstrated a scoring touch to this point in the season?

Its leading scorer has scored 50% of his points on the power play....the second leading scorer has tallied 60% of his on the power play...those two are a combined +2 for the season. (To give you some perspective Vecchione and Foo are something like +50 between them) Sorry, but scoring four pp goals against the 11th place team in the ECAC doesn't put a tent in my trousers.

The ONLY time last night's game was competitive was when UNH had an extra player on the ice. Live by the power play, die by the power play...

Will somebody double check my math? (I don't blame anybody if you don't want to: ) But I have the current streak at 234 minutes, 27 seconds without scoring a goal at even strength...
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post

As much as the "Why was TK not given a letter?" question may have been answered, it is clear why Cleland wears the "C".
      I don't disagree with your broader point Darius and they certainly got the "C" on the right player this season.

But to follow up on Norbert's earlier post I also think this weekend demonstrated why Kelleher should NOT wear a letter on the front of his uniform.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        I don't disagree with your broader point Darius and they certainly got the "C" on the right player this season.

But to follow up on Norbert's earlier post I also think this weekend demonstrated why Kelleher should NOT wear a letter on the front of his uniform.
        Sadly, I agree. It is difficult for me to admit a UNH player has an attitude problem. In his defense, this is not what TK signed up for when he committed to UNH. Then again, I suppose that is what character is all about.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
          The weekend's officiating was not the best. Typically quiet Whitt-fans were yelling at the refs, especially last night. Salvaggio said something to the officials because nothing physical happened on ice for either of his misconducts. Coach could be clearly heard berating the officials with foul language from the bench. He walked toward, yelling at them, in a corner of the rink before the post game handshake. For a minute I thought he might actually accost them. I've never seen him more upset for a sustained period. Post handshake, Cleland skated to and then off the ice with the referees speaking with them calmly the entire time. Hill was in his typical last man off the ice position. If one didn't know better, it looked like he was making a "I've got your back Matias" statement.

As much as the "Why was TK not given a letter?" question may have been answered, it is clear why Cleland wears the "C".
          Just saw the replays of the PC goals/reviews, I think Umile needs to settle down some.

I am shocked the Hockey East refs didn't bang him for throwing the water bottle on the disallowed goal.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

The weekend's officiating was not the best. Typically quiet Whitt-fans were yelling at the refs, especially last night. Salvaggio said something to the officials because nothing physical happened on ice for either of his misconducts. Coach could be clearly heard berating the officials with foul language from the bench. He walked toward, yelling at them, in a corner of the rink before the post game handshake. For a minute I thought he might actually accost them. I've never seen him more upset for a sustained period. Post handshake, Cleland skated to and then off the ice with the referees speaking with them calmly the entire time. Hill was in his typical last man off the ice position. If one didn't know better, it looked like he was making a "I've got your back Matias" statement.

Now, I know PC beat us fair and square, there is absolutely NO doubt about that. I don't have a problem recognizing that most obvious fact. The 'Cats have offensive probs (that Felger pointed out which I had not really been paying that much attention to) and we know our defensive stuff from oh I don't know when. That being said...it was a weak weekend for both (PC included) teams officiating wise. Very touchy umpires when it came to faceoffs, play would get out of control t hen wham....am not proud of my personal behavior to say the least when the Dawson, game tying goal was nullified but as an umpire and upon seeing the replay about 10 times I guess some things are absolute and you have to make those calls.

Ugh..I'm the last one to blame officiating but when a PC player leaves their feet to make a check on the boards (literally jumping into the player at that) with an official standing right there well even I know that's not right. And before a PC fan jumps my stuff here, I'm sure it went both ways. Sigh...in the big pic we all know that's not the reason we got swept. "What lies beneath" (and fill in your own blank) is the answer here. To echo Scott....they are great guys who do work their butts off. I wish they had more to show for it.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

My thing on replays, in all sports, is that if the replay is not obvious enough to change the call in a short period of time, like a minute, then the play should stand and the game moves on. The Dawson replay took forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                The 'Cats have offensive probs (that Felger pointed out which I had not really been paying that much attention to) and we know our defensive stuff from oh I don't know when.
                Remind me how this gets better next year, or the date when help arrives.

In his defense, this is not what TK signed up for when he committed to UNH.
                Usually a new coach brings in a raft of players who are his guys and do sign up for this. Given the little help that has been brought in for depth, I suppose only Joe Sacco counts in that camp.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  My thing on replays, in all sports, is that if the replay is not obvious enough to change the call in a short period of time, like a minute, then the play should stand and the game moves on. The Dawson replay took forever.
                  Guess that's what we thought too...what's taking so long did Hill have contact or not. I mean the puck was clearly in the back of the net before Hawkey could react...but I digress. And don't forget UNH asked for the same thing in the PC first goal and didn't get the call which probably led to the frustration...good point Darius. Noticed today that there no game comments or the Umile live that is normally on Facebook....
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Remind me how this gets better next year, or the date when help arrives.
                    Am hopeful the arrival Benton Maase can help the cause...but I have no answers...but I don't know what you expect me to say here? I want things to get better yesterday.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-29-2017, 10:59 AM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      ...am not proud of my personal behavior to say the least when the Dawson, game tying goal was nullified...
                      Don't worry about it. I don't yell much other than "Go 'cats", "Go blue", "C'mon boys" out of respect for the people around me. Twice this weekend I let loose with a full sentence clearly directed at the officials. Immediately after I felt shame, but then I got free by looking around to see no one was offended and most seemed to approve.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        .but I don't know what you expect me to say here?
                        My comment migrated beyond my original intent. Just that next year with the graduation of Kelleher and Cleland will be equally difficult. There is no fast solution and this will be a slow uphill. Blaming a kid who has talent for being disappointed not to have talent around him seems to be missing the mark.

Good to see Exeter's Spencer Young manning the PP for Providence as a freshman. Next year he'll be joined by Newburyport's Ben Mirageas and our own Jake Ryczek. That would have been a nice base to get Umile to his magical number.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          My comment migrated beyond my original intent. Just that next year with the graduation of Kelleher and Cleland will be equally difficult. There is no fast solution and this will be a slow uphill. Blaming a kid who has talent for being disappointed not to have talent around him seems to be missing the mark.

Good to see Exeter's Spencer Young manning the PP for Providence as a freshman. Next year he'll be joined by Newburyport's Ben Mirageas and our own Jake Ryczek. That would have been a nice base to get Umile to his magical number.
                          Yeah I get you...Spencer Young is the nephew of a good friend of mine (who by the way couldn't help but post on my FB page today with her PC sweatshirt on )and Ryczek well that's another story isn't it? Look at the D hit UNH has taken with the loss of him, Masonius but hey that is alllllll water over the dam but it's still frustrating as hell.

Agree it's going to take some time, maybe 3-4 years before UNH competes like they once did (using the phrase lightly). D is the key I will live and die by that. You can always find some decent forwards but if you don't have the D fagettabout it.

On another note I am wondering why Fregona is not playing...he showed some good stuff in the few games he was in? And...what do we think about Nick Nonnis?
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Don't worry about it. I don't yell much other than "Go 'cats", "Go blue", "C'mon boys" out of respect for the people around me. Twice this weekend I let loose with a full sentence clearly directed at the officials. Immediately after I felt shame, but then I got free by looking around to see no one was offended and most seemed to approve.
                            There's a fan that sits in I think 102 that cheers "come on boys" alot and I like that cheer...really carries. Is that you?
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

If I haven't already said so ... I do really hate the "replay culture" that has sprung up in pro and college sports. When replay started, I was happy when the replays were limited to brief reviews on a limited number of calls. For example ... in hockey, all I want to see with replay is whether or not the puck went into the net. That's it. Other than that, I'm happy to rely on the competence of the officials on the judgment calls and offsides. There is nothing that irks me more than a coach/team challenging an otherwise good goal for offsides. We rely on refs to exercise judgment when ruling on no-touch icing all the time, and no one is going to the replay on that ... but we've got high definition replays determining if the puck preceded the player into the zone by a centimeter or two. Why obsess on one, and not the other?

Why do we have icing calls in the first place? To provide a deterrent to a defending team wasting time and killing the flow of a game by aimlessly dumping a puck the length of the ice.

Why do we have offsides calls in the first place? To prevent attacking players from "goal hanging".

I see absolutely no reason why offsides should be handled any differently than icing.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

This from the Lowell thread. Don't you guys love mid-Atlantic forwards. Side note he was Ryzcek's teammate at Select Academy the year he pent there.

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                I wonder if Lowell has any interest.

‏@JeffCoxSports
                                Tri-City Storm '97 C Alex Limoges de-commited from Cornell, receiving Hockey East interest. 13-15-28 line in 33 USHL GP this year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=294408
                                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Working...
                                X