Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HockeyRef
    replied
    Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Wildcat PP coming up! And a goal for TyK!!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-25-2017, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied

PP goal UConn 2-1 Huskies

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

The MBPBEGAM Home Ice Watch

@ UVM 2 *Merrimack 2

End of the first period

* - if Merrimack earns a point tonight, they clinch 8th seed and final MBPBEGAM home ice slot

@ UConn 1 UNH 1

Just after the midway mark in the first period of the "Praying for Merrimack to Lose Cup"

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied

Attaboy Blackburn!! We are sitting right behind their goal a beauty!!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

@ UVM 2 *Merrimack 2

2 minutes left in the first period

* - if Merrimack earns a point tonight, they clinch 8th seed and final MBPBEGAM home ice slot

@ UConn 1 UNH 0

6 minutes into the first period of the "Tickle Me Elmo Cup"

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

@ UVM 1 Merrimack 2

6 minutes left in the first period

If Merrimack earns a point tonight, they clinch 8th seed and final MBPBEGAM home ice slot

@ UConn 1 UNH 0

3 minutes into the first period of "The Pillow Fight Cup"

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

@ UVM 1 Merrimack 1

Midway through the first period

If Merrimack earns a point tonight, they clinch 8th seed and final MBPBEGAM home ice slot

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    As for UConn - in just four years Cavanaugh has taken them from Atlantic Hockey also ran to a very tough out in HE. A team that can beat anyone, has landed elite recruits and is already much closer to the top of HE than they are to UMass and ME. UMass was consistently getting clubbed 8-1 by the HE elite at the end of the Mallen era...

UConn as an athletic dept has MUCH more money and has shown a better commitment to many secondary sports (likely more so because they can, than that they care more). UConn is in a much better position today than UMass has ever been in...

If you want to argue that UConn's modest improvement, recruiting success and many optimistic indicators should be taken with a grain of salt until it truly translates, that's fine. But then, you simply cannot write them off with such a sense of assurance either. You do so because you dislike Cavanaugh. Which is fine, but you can't have it both ways.

As for Cavanaugh - all evidence, hear-say, print media and recruit quotes indicates he has been the primary recruiter at UConn. He was an assistant for 21 seasons (18 with York), being titled with lead recruiter responsibilities for most of those seasons while being a part of staffs that have landed an incredible amount of elite talent over those 21 seasons, perhaps more than any other. He lands at UConn and immediately they land Tage Thompson, Gendron and Spencer Nass. Letunov, Huska and Masonious committed after Souza left.

There is zero merit to the idea that Souza's tree non-descript years at Brown and three seasons at UConn - where all evidence points towards most recruiting success tracking back to Cavanaugh in particular and said success has continued after Souza's departure - can yet be compared in the least to Cavanaughs 21 seasons of asst experience and early UConn success...

Souza has been better of late - but approaching two full years at UNH (and 100% in charge) he has landed ONE player with a ceiling that clearly indicates an all-HE type player. Commesso. Wazny and Crookshank have high floors but legitimate questions remain about whether they will reach ceilings of difference making forwards UNH is used too. Even if they do, that's not enough. The surest bets on D are third to second pair guys in Miller/Wyse. I hope Green becomes Agosta. Which means more of the same on defense. The rest of the recruits are question marks. Some with more potential than others...
    Very valid points. I think what really needs to happen is for Souza to take over and then hire another assistant to help aid in recruiting. I look at BU and how Parker (despite being a great coach) has past his prime and bringing in Quinn was a shot in the arm to the program. This is what UNH really needs. I have nothing but great things to say about Umile but its time for a younger and fresh look and Souza brings that. In regards to recruiting - its obvious that UNH needs to up its game if they want to compete and move up the Hockey East ranks. I think the key is to land a few big name recruits and others follow. Easier said that done but as you mentioned getting Commesso is a start in the that direction and is the caliber player that raises eyebrows and could attract recruits in that age bracket. Landing Gildon is huge as well. Hopefully its the start of more. Better days ahead!!!

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied
    He was originally expected to sign with Wisconsin for next fall - then his signing was not announced and he was quoted as hoping to play at UW the following year. He decommited soon after...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-recruit-max-gildon-decommits-from-uw/article_6dc047e5-d7d1-5146-bb61-d9acd809891b.html

So as early as (hopefully) next fall and no later than 2018...
    This is very exciting news!!! He brings almost immediate relief to our defensive issues. Of course there is adjusting to NCAA D 1 hockey but that's ok!! When will we learn his enrollment date?

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    YESSSS!! Any idea when he will be arriving? (Not soon enough &#128521
    He was originally expected to sign with Wisconsin for next fall - then his signing was not announced and he was quoted as hoping to play at UW the following year. He decommited soon after...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-recruit-max-gildon-decommits-from-uw/article_6dc047e5-d7d1-5146-bb61-d9acd809891b.html

So as early as (hopefully) next fall and no later than 2018...
    Last edited by Dan; 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied
    Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
    unh just landed ntdp dman max gildon.

Was once a wisconsin commit
    YESSSS!! Any idea when he will be arriving? (Not soon enough &#128521
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-25-2017, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied

Chuck - you are right and I did mean successor when discussing Gadowsky and my mistake may have led some to believe that he set the table for Cahoons tenure. However, when Gadowsky "succeeded" Cahoon he won eight games (I believe) in his first season before building Princeton to its most successful few years. So it doesn't seem that the cupboard was left too full...

I think it is very fair to wonder, if Halpern (one player) never comes to Princeton do they ever finish in the top half of the ECAC standings under Cahoon.

I agree, Gadowsky would have been the perfect replacement for Umile right down to style of play.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chickod
    replied

This is good. Despite UW dropping him he instantly leaps clearly to the top of the UNH defensive recruit pile. Good for Souza.

As for your comment chickod - Youre right, personally I was extremely skeptical of the Souza. He has swayed me a bit with Commesso, Wazny and Crookshank but with lots of work left to accomplish. I was leaning back to skeptical with the commitment announced earlier today - but Gildon brings me back to him having lots of work to do and plenty still to prove before anyone should get too excited about the new era...
    I understand. It just seemed like the timing was bad. Kind of like piling on. Lots of bad news on a few threads the last couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Chuck -

First, as far as UMass' history of head coaches goes, I remember a lot of excitement around the return of hockey to the flagship university of one of the top talent producing states in the country. I don't remember much at all around Joe Mallen being a great hire. I'm sure many expected he would win, but due to the location of the public university more than any Mallen hype.

Remember, he had one year of HC experience and was something like 4-20 in that year at UMass Boston. After that, he coached at BC while the program consistently declined during his tenure. He was then passed over for the BC job in lieu of the coaching legend that is Steve Cedorchuk. So he was the second assistant at a fading BC school with a disastrous season as a HC on his resume when he left for UMass...
    Steve "Count" Cedorchuck ... back when BC was making the kinds of bizarre decisions in the AD's office that have become second nature to UMass since. God, I miss those days. Ironically, say what you will about Mallen, but at the end of the day, he proved to be a better D-1 coach than The Count (talk about low thresholds).

Umile's use of UMass reflects nothing on the schools commitment to hockey. He had NO intention of going there. So, whatever they offered was irrelevant. All that mattered was showing UNH he might leave, so he could maximize their commitment. UMass' other top candidates were Blaise MacDonald and Don Cahoon. The NIAGARA coach turned them down, leaving them with the sub-.500 coach from Princeton.
    Hindsight is 20-20. We can say now that "he had no intention of going there", but that doesn't mean UMass didn't think they had a shot at hiring him, and made a strong pitch to do just that. Unless you think Umile had paisan in Amherst, and they conspired to fleece Judy Ray out of a lifetime contract, then this makes no sense. Umile at the time was more successful than pretty much any other coach mentioned in this thread, and he wasn't even at the midway mark of his career.

Cahoon is NOT the winningest coach in Princeton history. Gadowsky, his immediate predecessor won at a higher percentage. Gadowsky also made two NCAA tournaments to Cahoons one, landed an ECAC tournament title (Cahoon never one a thing at Princeton), won a national coach of the year award and finished in the top three twice. Cahoon's ECAC finishes were 9,10,9,7,10,5,7,4,6. GG posted two 20 win season, Cahoon one in three more seasons. Quite frankly all Cahoon did at PU was land Jeff Halpern who carried Cahoon and Princeton on his back to whatever modest success they achieved. He was their third choice and the definition of meh. If UMass had hired its fourth choice at the time (according to USCHO) they'd be competing near the top of HE with Jeff Jackson behind the bench...
    Gadowsky was Cahoon's successor, not his predecessor. That means Gadowsky built on the (limited) success Cahoon had at PU, which at the time was unprecedented in that program's history. I think that's worth mentioning.

BTW - Gadowsky would have been a great choice to follow Coach Umile, given his success to date at Penn State. Five years ago, anyway. Nowadays, why would he even consider leaving Happy Valley PA? Opportunity lost.

Miccheletti was a disaster from the word go and another down the list choice as they failed to impress multiple candidates with their commitment to hockey.
    Agreed 100%.

The new AD deserves a ton of credit for landing his first choice - and a guy many thought would never leave his alma mater. Carvel has seven years of NHL experience. Turned around SLU very quickly with elite talent like Beyruther (NH native) and Kyle Hayton. He is a very good hire. SLU will likely reach 20 wins again this season due to his efforts...
    Could be. But success at UMass Amherst will be tougher than following a long line of successful coaches at SLU, which has had a fairly successful D-1 program for a lot of years now.

As for UMass' commitment to hockey - they still think they are the Camby/Calipari bball power of the 90s and have been pouring money into a football program that will never amount to anything at the FBS level. That has hurt hockey in a big way. If they commit to this coach then this program does have a chance, albeit 20+ years later...
    UMass is a curious place, no doubt. Probably hard for them to swallow that UConn has moved so far ahead of them in other sports (and may well repeat the process at some point in D-1 Hockey). When I heard that they were going to play football at Gillette Stadium from my assistant (who was a D-1 All-Conference 'keeper at UMass) I thought they were kidding me. Then when I found out it was true ...

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
    UNH just landed NTDP Dman Max Gildon.

Was once a Wisconsin Commit
    This is good. Despite UW dropping him he instantly leaps clearly to the top of the UNH defensive recruit pile. Good for Souza.

As for your comment chickod - Youre right, personally I was extremely skeptical of the Souza hire. He has swayed me a bit with Commesso, Wazny and Crookshank but with lots of work left to accomplish. I was leaning back to skeptical with the commitment announced earlier today (and Watchers welcome reminder that Souxa only has four years of prior experience! )- but Gildon brings me back to cautiously optimistic long term with Souza having lots of work to do and plenty still to prove before anyone should get too excited about the new era...
    Last edited by Dan; 02-25-2017, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X