Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado College

I couldn't find a season thread, so how 'bout I post this here:

I was at the Lake of the Woods Arena in Baudette, MN last night and snapped a pic of this:

*****http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yeJ4a69lHZg/S1cDJMtqz7I/AAAAAAAAAtQ/dZf-YDOpit0/s640/IMAG0012.jpg******

Hope you find it as interesting as I did...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: Colorado College

We Denver Pioneer fans always find CC posters from Denver's NCAA championship years interesting. Thanks for posting.

Love those ticket prices.

By the way, the poster says CC played Lake Forest College that year, which I believe, was a club team. Ohio University was an independent team then - they helped form the CCHA in 1971 but later dropped hockey.

Comment

Does anyone know why the A of Broadmoor is raised? Is it supposed to look like a mountain, perhaps?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interesting to note that only one game against MTU is listed, despite being a conference opponent. It appears that they actually did play two games, the first on Jan. 8th, and the other one as scheduled on Feb. 3rd.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/S...&Q_SEASON=1968
        Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Does anyone know why the A of Broadmoor is raised? Is it supposed to look like a mountain, perhaps?
          The hotel's name and logo is always officially presented as all uppercase with a small letter A raised higher than the other letters: BROADMOOR. The reasoning behind this is surrounded by legend and rumor. One story claims the alteration was necessary to obtain a copyright due to other uses of the Scottish word Broadmoor, such as the nearby Broadmoor Dairy (since closed). The hotel's official website says "The raised "A" in The BROADMOOR name came about in order to render the name unique, since it has been in use since the late 1800s and therefore could not be copyrighted."

Another story claims that Spencer Penrose and William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs, were locked in a friendly albeit competitive rivalry. Palmer owned the nearby Antlers Hotel, and for that reason, Penrose required the "A" in "Broadmoor" to always be smaller than the other letters.

And yet another story says that Spencer, being the hands on man that he was with his mining investments, he liked to inspect the mines himself. He had a regular room at the Antler's Hotel, and when he arrived at the front desk covered in mine dust on one particular occasion, he was refused his room. They couldn't tell who he was. He got so mad, he decided to build a bigger and better hotel. The small A, was to remind those at the rival hotel, just who was the better establishment.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

For those that don't know the Broadmoor was and is a five star resort. WCHA referees used to get comped rooms at the Broadmoor and everybody wanted to ref CC games for that reason.

In the mid-eighties as DU students, we went down to the Broadmoor to watch games every chance we could. If DU was on the road and CC was playing a name brand opponent, we'd split the gas and head down there.

Our tradition was to miss the entire 2nd Period and walk around the Lake and settle in at the Main Bar. Sports Coats & ties were required. If someone didn't have a jacket they would loan you one.

If DU was playing CC our fraternity would hire a bus and head down with a sorority.

Good times. :-)
            Last edited by dggoddard; 01-20-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
              Interesting to note that only one game against MTU is listed, despite being a conference opponent. It appears that they actually did play two games, the first on Jan. 8th, and the other one as scheduled on Feb. 3rd.

It looks like the piggy-backed the 2/3 game onto the trip to DU on 1/31 and 2/1.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

This poster is also interesting because it shows the resumption of the CC/DU games. In the 1965/66 season there was a scrum that brought CC students out onto the ice. The state police were called in to control the situation, and as a result the CC/DU games were suspended for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post

According to CC's media guide, the 1/8 game was played at MTU.

CC was at UW 1/3-4, at MTU 1/8, and at MichSt 1/10-11.

Similarly, MTU would have been at Calgary 1/4-5, back home on 1/8, and at Duluth 1/10-11.

Makes more sense from a traveling perspective...not that I would EVER accuse Techsters of making an error!

Comment

Glad everyone is enjoying the pic! Anyone know why it would be hanging in Baudette? Any Baudette kids on that ('69) CC team (no one I asked at the rink seemed to know)? LOW doesn't exactly have a great hockey history outside Keith Ballard (and a few kids that transfered to Warroad )
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      Glad everyone is enjoying the pic! Anyone know why it would be hanging in Baudette? Any Baudette kids on that ('69) CC team (no one I asked at the rink seemed to know)? LOW doesn't exactly have a great hockey history outside Keith Ballard (and a few kids that transfered to Warroad )
                      50 cents for a student (under 18) ticket! With a $5.00 bill you get hammered (what was beer back then, 50 cents per bottle?) and see a good college hockey game! Classic, moose!
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Guessing the CC Media Guide will have every letterwinner listed along with stats & hometown.

Comment

I loved the Broadmoor far more than I loved the old DU arena. The Broadmoor World Arena was orginally built as an indoor horseback riding facility, but the hotel put ice in the place in the late 1930s. It seated about 4,000 and hosted the first 10 NCAA tourneys in the 40s and 50s, and while the sightlines weren't great, the place had an a certain faded elegance as part of the 5 star resort complex. It was also a key US figure skating rink where champions such as Peggy Fleming and Jill Trenary trained. You can see the old rink in the horrible and unwatchable '70s figure skating movie "Ice Castles".

It was torn down in 1994 to make way for a hotel expansion project. The new (1998) World Arena, built a mile or two down the road from the hotel. just doesn't have anywhere near the charm of the old barn.

Comment

I couldn't find a season thread, so how 'bout I post this here:

I was at the Lake of the Woods Arena in Baudette, MN last night and snapped a pic of this:

*****http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yeJ4a69lHZg/S1cDJMtqz7I/AAAAAAAAAtQ/dZf-YDOpit0/s640/IMAG0012.jpg******

Hope you find it as interesting as I did...
                            Who's the player in the poster I wonder??

Come on CC fans, you're the center of attention, for the moment!
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              Who's the player in the poster I wonder??

Come on CC fans, you're the center of attention, for the moment!
                              Bobby Orr.
                              World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Working...
                              X