Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pairwise question Miami v Bemidji

PWR people humor me a bit here...

So if Bemidji's RPI continues to fall (they have no remaining games vs TUCs after this weekend), and they never get to the 10 game TUC plateau, then BSU would need to win both the common opponent and head-to-head categories to win a comparison? One step further, after this weekend their head-to-head category will be set for the remainder of the season will it not?
    tUMD

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      So what you're saying is that Scooby may or may not be a monkey.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by beersong View Post

So if Bemidji's RPI continues to fall (they have no remaining games vs TUCs after this weekend), and they never get to the 10 game TUC plateau, then BSU would need to win both the common opponent and head-to-head categories to win a comparison? One step further, after this weekend their head-to-head category will be set for the remainder of the season will it not?
        Sounds about right... BUT... they would anyways as the RPI breaks all ties. The big difference would be in those cases where Bemidji is even before the RPI breaker (say they split a weekend and then win CoP but not RPI) then the TUC could have had an impact.

So, they'd lose any and all 1-2 cases against higher RPI teams regardless.

The idea is that you don't want a team going 1-0 against TUC teams and winning that category for nearly all those games (save the team they beat). With CoP that shifts from team to team involved in the pair.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by beersong View Post

Well, remember that the TUCs can change. Right now, Bemidji has quite a few opponents hovering around the threshold (top 25 of RPI).

#21 Minnesota
          #23 Northern Michigan
          -----
          #26 Minnesota State
          #31 Ohio State
          #32 Nebraska Omaha

Now, doing the math earlier in the season, BSU needs pretty much all of those teams in the top 25 to get them all as TUCs and get over the minimum of 10 games. The odds of that happening are remote, but the composition of the TUCs could change, thus BSU's record head to head with some of those teams could change. Say UNO sweeps BSU, that would give them a 2-0 h2h advantage, making the RPI and COp comparisons far more interesting and relevant.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
            Well, remember that the TUCs can change. Right now, Bemidji has quite a few opponents hovering around the threshold (top 25 of RPI).

#21 Minnesota
            #23 Northern Michigan
            -----
            #26 Minnesota State
            #31 Ohio State
            #32 Nebraska Omaha

Now, doing the math earlier in the season, BSU needs pretty much all of those teams in the top 25 to get them all as TUCs and get over the minimum of 10 games. The odds of that happening are remote, but the composition of the TUCs could change, thus BSU's record head to head with some of those teams could change. Say UNO sweeps BSU, that would give them a 2-0 h2h advantage, making the RPI and COp comparisons far more interesting and relevant.
            The odds are very remote as all these teams are from two conferences and with wins and losses more or less cancelling each other out in terms of # of teams above the cliff, I have trouble seeing all 5 jump above #25. Of course thats irrelevant if bemidji loses a couple of games to rmu and the cop shifts to miami. since bemidji would need some losses by miami to make up rpi ground due to their weak remaining schedule, the tuc looks right now like its unlikely to play into the ifnal outcome.
            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              And all I'm saying is that it's JANUARY and you already have this figured out.
              The PWR are 83% accurate already.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                He's not the only one.
                I apologize if I implied he was. There are others, I know. I just remember at a Final 5 a couple years ago, we'd get game results from another friend, and he'd recalculate the PWR on the spot, hence my statement.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I apologize if I implied he was. There are others, I know. I just remember at a Final 5 a couple years ago, we'd get game results from another friend, and he'd recalculate the PWR on the spot, hence my statement.
                  the pairwise itself only takes a fraction of a second on a computer... its the game inputs that's a bugger.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                  X