• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LtPowers
    replied
    Re: NCAA D1 Council Forms Membership Recommendations

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    Wouldn't this be in place for future programs? Wouldnt current schools be grandfathered in and not face all of these changes?
    I believe Brenthoven was talking about future schools like the ones listed, not specifically the ones listed.

Powers &8^]

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    They're allowed to play D3?
    Sorta.... The schools that scott here rattled off here.....

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    out east, dii schools still playing hockey:

Assumption, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Southern New Hampshire University, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce
    play down in D3 leagues. However, they're not allowed to partisapate in the D3 Postseason. I do believe they have their own little postseason tournament, but its nothing offical really. Out west, Minnesota-Crookston was a D2 school that played down in a D3 league as well, but last year their league kicked them out and given their lack of options for more D3 teams to play with out west and wouldn't have a prayer in the WCHA, they folded up shop.

Leave a comment:

• redhawkman10
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This could be good or bad for college hockey, and I'm leaning toward bad.

Good: keeps out the schools that have no business being D1 in all sports (or most sports) and having the crap beat out of them at the D1 level, leaving them to eventually fold or revert back to a lower status.

Bad: Some schools, like SCSU, MTU, RPI, Maine, etc don't have any business being D1 in anything BUT hockey, so those types of schools may say it's not worth the effort to attempt a bigger status for one sport, and that would severely slow down, if not stop, the growth of college hockey. Also may lend to other schools (bear with me) like PSU, IA, etc to add on college hockey teams to broaden their sports programs, and resulting in an attempt at the dreaded BTHC (like I said, bear with me here).

I don't like it.
    Wouldn't this be in place for future programs? Wouldnt current schools be grandfathered in and not face all of these changes?

Leave a comment:

• TimU
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    You forgot Bentley, Merrimack, AIC, Mass.-Lowell, and Mercyhurst out in the east as well. They're all D2 schools, but there's no D2 hockey. Its either up to D1 where you can compete for championships, or down to D3 where you don't have any chance to play in the postseason.
    They're allowed to play D3?

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    This right here is exactly right. D2 in general doesn't really work in the northeast as well as it does in the midwest, where bigmrg hails from, so he's forgiven on that point.

Truth is, RPI fits much better in the Liberty League than it would in the local D2 league (Northeast 10, an odd name for a conference with 16 members), but there are actually more comparable schools in the DI Patriot League than in the Liberty League.
    And the best **** D2 program in all the land, thank you very much.

Main problem with the NE-10 is that they don't give out scholarships there for sports like Football. When compared to a D3 school in the New England area, there's no real reason for a recruit to go to a NE-10 school versus a D3 program there, as at both schools they're just going to get "Academic Aid" to go there. Now, if you're a D2 school and you offer a kid something like a quarter scholarship, remember, in D2, you can split the scholorships up among the kids, along with some of that academic aid, the kid is a lot more likely to go to the D2 school than the D3.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I like what that says:

- You can't go to the party unless a group there invites you in
    - After being invited you have to pay an estimated $1.4 million cover charge to get into the party you've been invited to
    - You don't get to drink from the punch bowl until you've been at the party three years

And people don't think this group is a monopoly worthy of anti-trust evaluations?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...ecommendations
    Ain't you guys glad that you guys just snuck into the party before they locked the doors and changed the secret passwords to get in then??

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post

Assumption, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Southern New Hampshire University, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce
    You forgot Bentley, Merrimack, AIC, Mass.-Lowell, and Mercyhurst out in the east as well. They're all D2 schools, but there's no D2 hockey. Its either up to D1 where you can compete for championships, or down to D3 where you don't have any chance to play in the postseason.

Leave a comment:

• gscott13
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Thankfully, Men's D1 hockey shouldn't have that much of a problem with this as that there's no longer any D2 Hockey being played anymore.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Why are Christmas and Halloween the same to a programmer?

Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.

At least you and I understand.
    Finally, someone else who understands that joke. A lot of my co-workers don't even get it, and they're programmers!

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

I like what that says:

- You can't go to the party unless a group there invites you in
    - After being invited you have to pay an estimated $1.4 million cover charge to get into the party you've been invited to
    - You don't get to drink from the punch bowl until you've been at the party three years

And people don't think this group is a monopoly worthy of anti-trust evaluations?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...ecommendations

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Well 10 does equal 16 base 16.
    Why are Christmas and Halloween the same to a programmer?

Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.

At least you and I understand.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I agree that either the Liberty League or Patriot League is a better fit for RPI overall than the Northeast 10. We discussed that ad nauseum six years ago.
    Given the rapid expansion and growth seen at the Institute even in just the last six years, the discussion will probably be around for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    This right here is exactly right. D2 in general doesn't really work in the northeast as well as it does in the midwest, where bigmrg hails from, so he's forgiven on that point.

Truth is, RPI fits much better in the Liberty League than it would in the local D2 league (Northeast 10, an odd name for a conference with 16 members), but there are actually more comparable schools in the DI Patriot League than in the Liberty League.

I agree that either the Liberty League or Patriot League is a better fit for RPI overall than the Northeast 10. We discussed that ad nauseam six years ago.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM. Reason: speeling

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post
    RC pretty much already covered it, but D2 doesn't do much for any of the New York D3 schools, all it does is increase cost dramatically with almost nothing to gain. I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.

Leave a comment:

• LtPowers
    replied

I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.
    Don't forget, RIT is joining the Liberty League in two years.

Powers &8^]

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

RC pretty much already covered it, but D2 doesn't do much for any of the New York D3 schools, all it does is increase cost dramatically with almost nothing to gain. I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.
    Either way, if this goes thru, the only way any of those schools would be able to get to full D1 Status would be to go thru D2. And then get an invite to a D1 conference to go D1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X