Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA D1 Council Forms Membership Recommendations

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see RPI and Maine really competing in D1 bouncyball or football (the main moneymaking sports in college, which IMO this whole thing boils down to).
    Maine makes a run for the America East title every few years and makes the NCAA BBall tourny. Albeit, as the 16 or 15 seed and the right to get smashed by UNC, Duke, UConn, etc...

In Football, they play in the CAA which is the most competitive in formally named 1-AA. They make the 1-AA playoffs every now and then. Maine has played Iowa, Rutgers, Connecticut, Syracuse, and are to play the University of Pittsburgh in 2011. They also beat Mississippi State back in the mid 2000s.

UMaine Orono is the only D-1 school in the state. Stop picking on them :P Its not even the largest school in Maine
    Last edited by NMU8405; 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      How is Maine different than schools like BU, UVM, UNH, or Northeastern in that regard? UVM hasn't fielded a football team in almost 40 years and just dropped baseball. But they've played in the NCAA basketball tournament recently.
      Coppenwrath was a beast. He and Vermont helped my win my NCAA pool that year. Thanks UVM.

Correct me if Im wrong, but BU hasnt had a football team for at least a few decades?
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        The possibility of RPI elevating its overall program to D2 or D1 came up at the time of the proposal to eliminate athletic scholarships for the D3 playup schools. (six years ago, now ) As I recall, there was pretty general agreement that D2 wouldn't work. Who would want St. Rose as a rival? RC mentioned the Patriot League. In D1, it seems to the best fit, and somewhere the rumor came up that we and John Hopkins would do that if the proposition to end scholarships was approved. In my opinion, whether there was any truth to the rumor was not established. I don't think it ever was mentioned in the print media.

Would RPI do it now? I hope not, as I see in an overall D1 program, basketball overtaking hockey in interest.
        D2 could work for a school like RPI if you could get the right schools to go into a league with you. If I'm not mistaken, RIT isn't allowed to give out scholorships because they still a D3 school that move hockey up to D1 after everybody else was Grandfathered. If they moved up to D2, then they would be able to give scholorships as well. And there are a few other D3 schools with D1 hockey or D1 lacrosse squads where it could be in their own mutual benefit to be in a league together. There are a few D2's that are in New York that this league could collect as well. C.W. Post does come to mind, and there are a few other schools in the PSAC that could be interested as well. Mercyhurst probably wouldn't mind being in a NY based league where schools have a sport that play up. And any league that Mercyhurst goes to, Gannon, their cross town rivals in Erie, PA would probably want to sign up for as well.

Its certainly something to think about.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          D2 could work for a school like RPI if you could get the right schools to go into a league with you. If I'm not mistaken, RIT isn't allowed to give out scholorships because they still a D3 school that move hockey up to D1 after everybody else was Grandfathered. If they moved up to D2, then they would be able to give scholorships as well. And there are a few other D3 schools with D1 hockey or D1 lacrosse squads where it could be in their own mutual benefit to be in a league together. There are a few D2's that are in New York that this league could collect as well. C.W. Post does come to mind, and there are a few other schools in the PSAC that could be interested as well. Mercyhurst probably wouldn't mind being in a NY based league where schools have a sport that play up. And any league that Mercyhurst goes to, Gannon, their cross town rivals in Erie, PA would probably want to sign up for as well.

Its certainly something to think about.
          RC pretty much already covered it, but D2 doesn't do much for any of the New York D3 schools, all it does is increase cost dramatically with almost nothing to gain. I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.
          National Champions 2014!
          Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
          Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
          Let's Go U!!!

Comment

There has been tremendous population & demographic shifts in this country from rural to urban areas, northern to Sunbelt locales, the population of non-whites has grown dramatically & the US population has doubled since 1950. The percentage of population that has access to a college education through loans and scholarships has grown exponentially.

Obviously colleges and universities can't move, so I see this NCAA move limiting the growth, exposure and prestige of new schools wanting to join the party, as a desperate measure to hang on to the golden goose.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post
              RC pretty much already covered it, but D2 doesn't do much for any of the New York D3 schools, all it does is increase cost dramatically with almost nothing to gain. I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.
              Either way, if this goes thru, the only way any of those schools would be able to get to full D1 Status would be to go thru D2. And then get an invite to a D1 conference to go D1.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

I'm not familiar with RIT, but like RC said I can't see any of the Liberty League schools (Union, RPI, Clarkson, SLU) jumping for joy to play St. Rose and CW Post.
                Don't forget, RIT is joining the Liberty League in two years.

Powers &8^]

Comment

This right here is exactly right. D2 in general doesn't really work in the northeast as well as it does in the midwest, where bigmrg hails from, so he's forgiven on that point.

Truth is, RPI fits much better in the Liberty League than it would in the local D2 league (Northeast 10, an odd name for a conference with 16 members), but there are actually more comparable schools in the DI Patriot League than in the Liberty League.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    This right here is exactly right. D2 in general doesn't really work in the northeast as well as it does in the midwest, where bigmrg hails from, so he's forgiven on that point.

Truth is, RPI fits much better in the Liberty League than it would in the local D2 league (Northeast 10, an odd name for a conference with 16 members), but there are actually more comparable schools in the DI Patriot League than in the Liberty League.
                    Well 10 does equal 16 base 16.

I agree that either the Liberty League or Patriot League is a better fit for RPI overall than the Northeast 10. We discussed that ad nauseam six years ago.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM. Reason: speeling
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree that either the Liberty League or Patriot League is a better fit for RPI overall than the Northeast 10. We discussed that ad nauseum six years ago.
                      Given the rapid expansion and growth seen at the Institute even in just the last six years, the discussion will probably be around for the foreseeable future.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Why are Christmas and Halloween the same to a programmer?

Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.

At least you and I understand.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I like what that says:

- You can't go to the party unless a group there invites you in
                          - After being invited you have to pay an estimated $1.4 million cover charge to get into the party you've been invited to
                          - You don't get to drink from the punch bowl until you've been at the party three years

And people don't think this group is a monopoly worthy of anti-trust evaluations?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...ecommendations
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Why are Christmas and Halloween the same to a programmer?

Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.

At least you and I understand.
                            Finally, someone else who understands that joke. A lot of my co-workers don't even get it, and they're programmers!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Thankfully, Men's D1 hockey shouldn't have that much of a problem with this as that there's no longer any D2 Hockey being played anymore.
                              out east, dii schools still playing hockey:

Assumption, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Southern New Hampshire University, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                I like what that says:

- You can't go to the party unless a group there invites you in
                                - After being invited you have to pay an estimated $1.4 million cover charge to get into the party you've been invited to
                                - You don't get to drink from the punch bowl until you've been at the party three years

And people don't think this group is a monopoly worthy of anti-trust evaluations?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...ecommendations
                                Ain't you guys glad that you guys just snuck into the party before they locked the doors and changed the secret passwords to get in then??

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                                out east, dii schools still playing hockey:

Assumption, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Southern New Hampshire University, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce
                                You forgot Bentley, Merrimack, AIC, Mass.-Lowell, and Mercyhurst out in the east as well. They're all D2 schools, but there's no D2 hockey. Its either up to D1 where you can compete for championships, or down to D3 where you don't have any chance to play in the postseason.

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X