Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA D1 Council Forms Membership Recommendations

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    This right here is exactly right. D2 in general doesn't really work in the northeast as well as it does in the midwest, where bigmrg hails from, so he's forgiven on that point.

Truth is, RPI fits much better in the Liberty League than it would in the local D2 league (Northeast 10, an odd name for a conference with 16 members), but there are actually more comparable schools in the DI Patriot League than in the Liberty League.
    And the best **** D2 program in all the land, thank you very much.

Main problem with the NE-10 is that they don't give out scholarships there for sports like Football. When compared to a D3 school in the New England area, there's no real reason for a recruit to go to a NE-10 school versus a D3 program there, as at both schools they're just going to get "Academic Aid" to go there. Now, if you're a D2 school and you offer a kid something like a quarter scholarship, remember, in D2, you can split the scholorships up among the kids, along with some of that academic aid, the kid is a lot more likely to go to the D2 school than the D3.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      You forgot Bentley, Merrimack, AIC, Mass.-Lowell, and Mercyhurst out in the east as well. They're all D2 schools, but there's no D2 hockey. Its either up to D1 where you can compete for championships, or down to D3 where you don't have any chance to play in the postseason.
      They're allowed to play D3?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        This could be good or bad for college hockey, and I'm leaning toward bad.

Good: keeps out the schools that have no business being D1 in all sports (or most sports) and having the crap beat out of them at the D1 level, leaving them to eventually fold or revert back to a lower status.

Bad: Some schools, like SCSU, MTU, RPI, Maine, etc don't have any business being D1 in anything BUT hockey, so those types of schools may say it's not worth the effort to attempt a bigger status for one sport, and that would severely slow down, if not stop, the growth of college hockey. Also may lend to other schools (bear with me) like PSU, IA, etc to add on college hockey teams to broaden their sports programs, and resulting in an attempt at the dreaded BTHC (like I said, bear with me here).

I don't like it.
        Wouldn't this be in place for future programs? Wouldnt current schools be grandfathered in and not face all of these changes?
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
          They're allowed to play D3?
          Sorta.... The schools that scott here rattled off here.....

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
          out east, dii schools still playing hockey:

Assumption, St. Anselm, St. Michaels, Southern New Hampshire University, Stonehill, Franklin Pierce
          play down in D3 leagues. However, they're not allowed to partisapate in the D3 Postseason. I do believe they have their own little postseason tournament, but its nothing offical really. Out west, Minnesota-Crookston was a D2 school that played down in a D3 league as well, but last year their league kicked them out and given their lack of options for more D3 teams to play with out west and wouldn't have a prayer in the WCHA, they folded up shop.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
            Wouldn't this be in place for future programs? Wouldnt current schools be grandfathered in and not face all of these changes?
            I believe Brenthoven was talking about future schools like the ones listed, not specifically the ones listed.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
            X