Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

Games are played to completion?!

Blasphemy! That type of thinking has no place in this esteemed tournament.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
      I like the wcha's chances this year! Go Tech
      I don't know, the last couple of weekends the Huskies seem to have found some confidence again. Perhaps four soul-crushing losses to Denver & Wisconsin will put an end to that and allow Tech to look forward to the Bottomfeeder Tourney. They've got to be anxious to avenge last year's early exit - they looked way too good in that awful 19-1 first round win over American International.

Comment

The committee is experimenting with a new hybrid ranking system known as FARTS (Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck). FARTS is a mathematical formula taking into consideration:
        1. Each teams LP (Losing Percentage),
        2. The combined LP of all their opponents,
        3. The combined LP of their opponents opponents,
        4. The combined LP of all their conference members in NON conference play,
        5. The high temperature (celsius) on the day of each team's final game of before the tournament draw, as recorded in the home town of the player who's home town is furthest away from his school.

These FIVE factors are given a 'share' value assigned by the committee's ouija board. The total of all five shares will add up to 100%. Each of the five factors is them multiplied by the assigned 'share', then the shares are added up to create each team's FARTS.

The 25 worst FARTS are declared as TWITS (Teams With Inadequate Talent or Skill). Each of the TWITS are then run through a series of comparisons to all the other TWITS. Those comparisons are:
        1. LP against all other TWITS
        2. LP against all common opponents
        3. Losses in head-to-head meetings
        4. Losses that occurred on any day of the week not containing an "R"
        Each team is awarded a comparison 'point' for each comparison lost, with ties being broken by FARTS.

The resulting ranking BFR (Bottom Feeder Ranking) will decide eligibility for 'at large' bids, and will also be used for seeding.

As always, this tournament is all for the fans...so feel free to make suggestions. Faithful to the old saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth", the committee believes that everyone ought to have a hand in making this event a total disgrace.
        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
          The committee is experimenting with a new hybrid ranking system known as FARTS (Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck). FARTS is a mathematical formula taking into consideration:
          1. Each teams LP (Losing Percentage),
          2. The combined LP of all their opponents,
          3. The combined LP of their opponents opponents,
          4. The combined LP of all their conference members in NON conference play,
          5. The high temperature (celsius) on the day of each team's final game of before the tournament draw, as recorded in the home town of the player who's home town is furthest away from his school.

These FIVE factors are given a 'share' value assigned by the committee's ouija board. The total of all five shares will add up to 100%. Each of the five factors is them multiplied by the assigned 'share', then the shares are added up to create each team's FARTS.

The 25 worst FARTS are declared as TWITS (Teams With Inadequate Talent or Skill). Each of the TWITS are then run through a series of comparisons to all the other TWITS. Those comparisons are:
          1. LP against all other TWITS
          2. LP against all common opponents
          3. Losses in head-to-head meetings
          4. Losses that occurred on any day of the week not containing an "R"
          Each team is awarded a comparison 'point' for each comparison lost, with ties being broken by FARTS.

The resulting ranking BFR (Bottom Feeder Ranking) will decide eligibility for 'at large' bids, and will also be used for seeding.

As always, this tournament is all for the fans...so feel free to make suggestions. Faithful to the old saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth", the committee believes that everyone ought to have a hand in making this event a total disgrace.
          If the committee puts that much effort into determining the field, I'll be extremely disappointed. I think the best method would be to put the names of the bottom 25 teams in RPI (excluding anyone who qualifies for the NCAA Tourney) on a wall, blindfold someone and have them throw darts. The first team hit is the No. 1 overall seed, second hit is No. 2 overall seed, etc. until you get your 16 teams. If there are people standing around who could possibly be struck by stray darts, that would be even better.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            If the committee puts that much effort into determining the field, I'll be extremely disappointed. I think the best method would be to put the names of the bottom 25 teams in RPI (excluding anyone who qualifies for the NCAA Tourney) on a wall, blindfold someone and have them throw darts. The first team hit is the No. 1 overall seed, second hit is No. 2 overall seed, etc. until you get your 16 teams. If there are people standing around who could possibly be struck by stray darts, that would be even better.
            Yes. Except I think they should all be thrown at the same time.
            "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

The bottom 25 RPI teams should be written on sheets of paper and left in a pasture somewhere. They are seeded in order of which one gets shat on first.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                Disagree. I think this is where the Futile Four can outshine the NCAA.....

... Use KRACH
                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                  ... Use KRACH
                  Instead of VORP?
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                    Disagree. I think this is where the Futile Four can outshine the NCAA.....

... Use KRACH
                    KRACH makes too much sense. This tourney only uses CRACK.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Forget any kind of ranking system, it makes way too much sense. Use straight up records, then we wouldn't get a whole bunch of AHA teams either.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It seems to me that to be true to the spirit of the Futile Four the selection process should be as complicated, drawn out, painful and insane as possible. Teams shouldnt even know if they are in the tournament and what seed they are and where they will be playing until the last possible second.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                          It seems to me that to be true to the spirit of the Futile Four the selection process should be as complicated, drawn out, painful and insane as possible. Teams shouldnt even know if they are in the tournament and what seed they are and where they will be playing until the last possible second.
                          Definitely. Bring on the blind choice round robins!

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                            I expect all my decisions to be transmitted by messenger pigeon. So, we'll do it this way... we weight the teams by record and then give the teams with the worst record to the pigeons with the largest wingspan/weight ratio. The first 16 birds to arrive make up the field.
                            Last edited by Patman; 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM. Reason: passenger pigeons are still extinct and good eating
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              I expect all my decisions to be transmitted by messenger pigeon. So, we'll do it this way... we weight the teams by record and then give the teams with the worst record to the pigeons with the largest wingspan/weight ratio. The first 16 birds to arrive make up the field.
                              Lets make it even more complicated by using one-eyed birds with no sense of direction. And have them carry the the information in coconuts tied to their legs...or they could grip it by the husk.

Comment

Couple thoughts...

You could use chickens pecking for grain on a sheet of paper to select teams.

Look at the overall records of teams, 16 lowest get in. This allows for a few fewer AHA teams.

Bring on the complicated KRATCH and CRUNCH (Chef's Ranking Underachiving Non-Competitive Hockey) systems. The advantage of CRUNCH is it does not depend upon temperature of some rural Canadian outpost, rather it depends on snowfall. This is a much more neutral mark, which depends on long term performance. Just as a 15 team can beat a 2, some days it can get hotter than others. Snowfall requires consistent performance over several weeks.
                                Not everyone agrees, apparently. And that's fine. They're allowed. That's what makes sports -- and sports fandom -- the compelling force it is in our lives. - Jayson Stark, ESPN Baseball Analyst

Comment

Working...
                                X