X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    Second link didn't work,
    This one does. As you can see, the Lloyd Ice Center is inside a shopping mall. It's actually a slightly smaller sheet than in it looks in that photo, so Clarkson's defensemen might even be able to get back on a play.

I've skated there, and I can't recommend it enough. Among the items I've found partially frozen into the surface were a lollipop and a condom. They were not found together, at least.

The only problem is that Portland actually has a large, thriving, vocal hockey community, so the teams might be disoriented by playing in front of fans.

Derek Gustafson could drop the ceremonial puck -- he came from just up the road from that mall.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I've skated there, and I can't recommend it enough. Among the items I've found partially frozen into the surface were a lollipop and a condom. They were not found together, at least.
      So, you're saying that DL was not there....
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Tournament Team Selection Process to be 'Tweeked'

Rumors have been leaked from a recent meeting of the BFB/F4 committee that lead this writer to believe a major shakeup is afoot in the process used to select teams and assign their respective seeding for this year's event.

Reliable sources within the housekeeping staff of the Motel 6 in Kearney Nebraska, reportedly overheard a heated discussion from the next room, and reported it to the motel manager Abu Baalaark Gretzky (no relation). According to Abu, the room was rented to officials from the BFB/F4, and the argument centered around the belief that existing ranking systems promote an extreme bias in favor of Atlantic Hockey.

With all ten member schools currently ranked in the bottom 16 of the KRACH ratings, the very real possibility exists that some team might qualify for both the NCAA Tournament and the BFB. One loud voice was heard exclaiming "If we don't come up with some way to eliminate this Atlantic bias, the integrity of our event could be destroyed."

Suggested remedies reportedly include:
        1. Restricting at-large bids to no more than 60% of any single conference's membership.
        2. Forbidding any team with a winning percentage above .400 from consideration for an at large bid, regardless of their Weakness of Schedule.
        3. Expanding the tournament field to 17-20 teams, and adding a 'play-in' round to one or more regionals.
        4. Simply declaring any team that qualifies for the NCAA tournament as ineligible for the BFB.
        5. Expanded use of a Ouija Board.

This writer's opinion is that the fans ought to have a say in the process, and it is with that in mind that I have decided to publish this report. Please feel free to offer your suggestions, ideas and rants.
        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post

Futile Four; The Ice Park in Flowood Mississippi
          http://www.angelfire.com/games5/thepark/
          "
          It's worrying that when I did a Yahoo search, the review I found claimed that the Park was under new management, and is in much better shape now.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
            It's worrying that when I did a Yahoo search, the review I found claimed that the Park was under new management, and is in much better shape now.
            The committee also saw that review, and came to the conclusion that it had been written BY the new management. Trust us, the place is a dump!
            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

The committee also saw that review, and came to the conclusion that it had been written BY the new management. Trust us, the place is a dump!
              Isn't the whole idea of the BFB for hockey fans NOT to trust the committee?
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Tournament Team Selection Process to be 'Tweeked'

This writer's opinion is that the fans ought to have a say in the process, and it is with that in mind that I have decided to publish this report. Please feel free to offer your suggestions, ideas and rants.
                Thoughts on going back to the two-autobid-per-conference system that the NCAA used briefly? Two teams from each conference get autobids: the last-place team from the regular season, and the last-place team from the tournament. Since most tournaments don't explicitly determine a last-place team, the Futile Four will award this autobid to the first team (timewise) to be eliminated from their conference tournament. (In HE's case, the Futile Four can accept the two last-place teams, who don't even make the tournament to begin with.) The remaining four spots are taken by at-large bids.

Possible advantages:
                - Any team requiring a third game to be eliminated is basically disqualified, guaranteeing that any team with a fighting chance of winning anything gets thrown out.
                - Any team which gets enough publicity to be on TV is probably disqualified, as their media time-outs will delay the end of their game to the point that another team will be eliminated first.
                - The ending time of the game has little to do with actually playing hockey, guaranteeing that at least someone will be unhappy that their team was/wasn't picked.
                - Teams in multiple-time-zone conferences (CCHA, Atlantic) will be arbitrarily helped or hurt depending on where they play, decoupling the results even further from actual hockey skills.

Disadvantages:
                - Accepting two teams from the WCHA and HEA runs the risk that competent teams slip into the field. (Any team could be accepted with enough upsets in the conference tournaments.)
                - Four spots for at-large bids doesn't seem like quite enough. And we'd still be likely to end up with 6 AHA teams.
                RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

1. Restricting at-large bids to no more than 60% of any single conference's membership.
                  2. Forbidding any team with a winning percentage above .400 from consideration for an at large bid, regardless of their Weakness of Schedule.
                  3. Expanding the tournament field to 17-20 teams, and adding a 'play-in' round to one or more regionals.
                  4. Simply declaring any team that qualifies for the NCAA tournament as ineligible for the BFB.
                  I support suggestions 1, 2, 4 and 5.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I second the use of the Ouija board.
                    Have we ever really used the anti-pairwise?
                    Have we ever discussed play-out rounds with the conferences to give full flavor to this tournament? Anti-Final Five, etc.
                    Last team should be decided by a full team RPS match.

ideas 2 and 3 of yours may contradict
                    Last edited by Patman; 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

#5. No question whatsoever.

Hockey East should have two autobids, and without question, they should be the teams that do not make the playoffs.

BTW, wouldn't it be interesting if, because of that, the winner of the Futile Four gets the belt?

Comment

I like the wcha's chances this year! Go Tech

Comment

Perhaps goal differential should also be a factor? Teams that have been blown out in conference play should be considered over teams that have lost a lot of one-goal games against the better teams in their respective conferences.
                          "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                            I like the wcha's chances this year! Go Tech
                            Has a conference ever had both the Frozen 4 Champ and the Futile 4 Champ? This might be the WCHA's year!

BUT09: agreed on goal differential, and after that, props to Clarkson, it takes an especially bad team to give up 11 to Union.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Do you advance if you win or lose?

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                                Do you advance if you win or lose?
                                There is no reason to reward winning.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X