• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Re: Bottom Feeders Bracket/Futile Four 2010

Dear Committee,

For your consideration, I present another potential regional, and dare I say, national host site. This nomination comes from over 30 years of extensive touring of ice facilities in North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Minnesota, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba (as well as having seen various facilities in New York and Massachusetts).

Given the lofty criteria you have generously laid out, I hereby nominate the North Dakota Winter Show Building in Valley City, ND. It annually hosts, well, the "Winter Show" which features PRCA rodeo and various farm and agriculture related events.

Although it no longer serves as the indoor rink for the city, it has served as the city indoor ice facility before completion of a new dedicated two-sheet center.

I will address the nomination criteria point by point.

1. Ice. Altho we would prefer the quality of ice surface to be inferior, we may consider locations with decent ice, if other criteria are met.
    This facility has hosted hockey both with natural (it is ND, open the doors) and artificial ice. The ice making capabilities have been moved so natural ice would be the option.

Please note that this ice would be on top of a dirt rodeo arena providing no support that a concrete-backed artificial surface would normally give.

2. Must be indoor, or at least under roof. Several have suggested outdoor locations, but we feel that 'outdoor hockey' events have become too 'chic', and are therefore inappropriate for an event of this calibre.
    Check.

3. No site that is home to any existing NCAA D1 or D3 team is eligible, nor are the practice rinks of any current NCAA team.
    Check.

4. While no 'carved in stone' standards exist, the committee has usually shown preference to sites that are inconvenient for travel, and are located in areas with little or nothing else to attract visitors.
    Valley City, ND.
    Nearest commercial airport? Fargo (60 miles).
    And with a rink in the facility there would be no ability to host crop shows or a PRCA rodeo in the arena.
    Although, ice rodeo could be entertaining.

5. Special consideration is normally afforded to venues that: are in poor repair, have limited (or no) seating, have inadequate locker room and team facilities, are either uncomfortably warm or cold...especially if the building has unpleasant smells.
    Although the building is in a decent state of repair, the floors are primarily dirt. The building's history includes a roof collapse due to snow load. This is an especially astounding feat considering the building's "quanset hut" type design.

Unfortunately, the rodeo/ice arena can seat 5000. However, it is all aluminum bench seating and flooring so with natural ice (doors open) that could be a positive to the nomination.

Locker rooms do not exist. In the past modified trailer houses serving as locker rooms have been pulled into the area where livestock are kept during rodeos or livestock exhibits. Being trailer houses they have little to no insulation and inadequate heat. (Remember, we're doing natural ice and this trailer house will be in the cold.)

Smells? You did see the part about "locker rooms have been pulled in to the area where livestock are kept" right? Those smells also easily reach the ice cold aluminum grandstands.

The boards in this facility were originally 4'x8' sheets of plywood (uncut, so the full 48" height) with chicken-wire for "glass". Replication of those boards would be the goal should host status be achieved.

It should be noted that the rodeo arena and grandstands are such that the rink was about 168' by 78'. This makes the DECC in Duluth seem like a glacier by comparison.

6. Pictures of the venue or a link where pix can be found would be appreciated.
    http://www.northdakotawintershow.com/

Additional information for committee consideration:

1. There is only one lavatory facility (per sex) in the arena. In the mens facility urinals are of the "cattle trough" type: "Line 'em up and bleed 'em out, boys!" (Ladies, you'll either have to wonder or dare ask.) It should be noted that these are the lavatory facilities the teams use as the trailer house locker rooms do not have running water or sewer systems attached to them. That means no showers either. Maybe this could be added to the "arena smells" criteria as well.

2. Given the potential March (or dream April) tournament dates, natural ice would need to be created in February. However, the late March or early April play dates may cause rain, yes, rain, onto the indoor surface during play. In March and April they open doors at night and shut them in the day to trap cold air *in*. During the day the cold interior roof steel (versus the warm exterior) causes intense condensation and "rain".

This will make bad, late season natural indoor ice (supported by rodeo dirt and bovine feces) far more unstable and unpredictable.

I thank the nominating committee for its valuable time.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
    The Tournament Committee's legal consul, the lowly esteemed firm of Howard, Howard & Fine, has just forwarded us a copy of a recent communication from the Canadian Foreign Ministry. It reads, in part:

"Whereas, Ice Hockey is legally designated as the Official Sport of the Dominion of Canada, and

Whereas, the Canadian people (regardless of political affiliation, gender, sexual preference or ethnicity) profess universal love and respect for the sport of ice hockey, and

Whereas, we (representing the aforementioned Canadian populace) have it on sound authority, that your 'event' known as "The Bottom Feeder's Bracket" and/or "The Futile Four" makes a mockery of our beloved national sport:

Let it be known that; the people of Canada shall consider any attempt, by any individual or group, to produce such an event within the sovereign borders of our nation, as an act of terrorism."
    So Siberia is alright, eh?

BTW, I thought the legal counsel was Howard, Fine & Howard.

Leave a comment:

• GopherRock
    replied

For the West Regional, I suggest Highland Arena in Shoreline, Washington. I have been in my share of dumpy sheds here in Minnesota, but this place took the cake.

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesse.../7/6897937.JPG

I was there once for an evening public skating session, and holy cow that place is something else. Lighting was virtually non-existent. The end facing the street-side windows only had taut netting to keep pucks from sailing out the window. I'm not sure what crawled into the ventilation and died, but the smell was a combination of must, stale beer, and rotting flesh.

Aurora Avenue between Green Lake and the Snohomish County border is a notorious strip of used car dealers, check-cashing parlors, car theft, narcotics, prostitiution hotels, cemeteries, and seedy adult media stores. This article in the Seattle Times explains how North Aurora is clearly Seattle's seedy underbelly. The rink is smack dab in the middle of this strip of shame.

As for hockey indifference? Maybe 100 miles to the north in British Columbia it's alive, but on the Washington side of the fence, no one gives a lick about hockey.

The only potential drawback is that, much like the eastern counterparts of Atlantic City and Lake Placid, greater Seattle is a fantastic place to visit.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I would like to nominate Blyth Arena since it actually was destroyed in the 1980s but if the rink must actually exist now, I nominate the replacement in High Camp, CA since no one will attend, there is no seating for people to watch and you have to take a cable car tramway to get there
    Outdoor rink, probably not going anywhere with the bid process.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

I would like to nominate Blyth Arena since it actually was destroyed in the 1980s but if the rink must actually exist now, I nominate the replacement in High Camp, CA since no one will attend, there is no seating for people to watch and you have to take a cable car tramway to get there

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    But the committee doesn't want posters (or anyone else) to attend.
    Although I think they will smirk behind closed doors at the prospect of the Royal Mounties storming the arena on behalf of terrorist activities.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    USCHO posters in Canuck-istan totally has "International Incident" written all over it
    But the committee doesn't want posters (or anyone else) to attend.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Canada would so work for this!!!!

USCHO posters in Canuck-istan totally has "International Incident" written all over it

Leave a comment:

• Federal League
    replied

How bout this:
    http://www.ifyha.org/General/Area%20...nks.html#Idaho

scroll down to "Palouse Ice Rink" Moscow ID
    Ice is only 165 x 65. No locker rooms or seating. Located in the Rotary Pavilion on the county fairgrounds.
    Nice. As of right now, I'm placing my support behind the following sites:

Northeast
    Hockey Town USA (Saugus, MA) - I understand that it's near Boston and their may be several New England teams in the tourney, but I feel that the following aspects are being overlooked: It has no glass on one side of the ice, the boards lean away from the playing surface, the benches are only slightly bigger than your average penalty box, the puck disappears under the boards in the corner where the Zamboni door is, and whiffleballs can fly onto the ice at any given time from the whiffleball area upstairs.

East
    Frear Park Ice Rink(Troy, NY) - I'm still not completely sold on this place, but it's the best suggestion I've seen at the moment. I need to hear a little bit more about how crappy it is.

Midwest
    George Gipp Arena (Laurium, MI) - That pic FTB&G posted is just epic.

West
    Palouse Ice Rink (Moscow, ID) - Love it.

Futile Four
    The Ice Park (Flowood, MS) - As the one who suggested this place, I'll take responsibility for organizing The Ice Park's formal bid to host the 2010 Futile Four. I promise to put in no effort to ensure that this place is safe for the athletes, I will certainly not investigate the employees' perverse behavior and I will definitely not rearrange the Park's schedule to get the BFB/FF any convenient ice times.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

The Tournament Committee's legal consul, the lowly esteemed firm of Howard, Howard & Fine, has just forwarded us a copy of a recent communication from the Canadian Foreign Ministry. It reads, in part:

"Whereas, Ice Hockey is legally designated as the Official Sport of the Dominion of Canada, and

Whereas, the Canadian people (regardless of political affiliation, gender, sexual preference or ethnicity) profess universal love and respect for the sport of ice hockey, and

Whereas, we (representing the aforementioned Canadian populace) have it on sound authority, that your 'event' known as "The Bottom Feeder's Bracket" and/or "The Futile Four" makes a mockery of our beloved national sport:

Let it be known that; the people of Canada shall consider any attempt, by any individual or group, to produce such an event within the sovereign borders of our nation, as an act of terrorism."
    Sounds like a perfect venture for the teams to really get some negative attention then, right? I say let's go north of the border!

Leave a comment:

• Freddie
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    BTW, are we limited to locations within this country? We might be able to find a dump or two in Canada.

Last edited by Freddie; 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

I was just checking those two rinks out as well, ironically. Couldn't find good links though.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

New nomination for the Western Regional site: the L C Ice Arena of Lewiston, Idaho. Crappy website: check. Far from any D-1 hockey program: check. Zamboni parked out front: check.

EDIT: Never mind, the Palouse Ice Rink beats the LC Ice Arena any day.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie
    replied

How bout this:
    http://www.ifyha.org/General/Area%20...nks.html#Idaho

scroll down to "Palouse Ice Rink" Moscow ID
    Ice is only 165 x 65. No locker rooms or seating. Located in the Rotary Pavilion on the county fairgrounds.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You expect them to show pictures of dreadful people? I bet all those pictures were taken before they moved out the ITG machine.

But if we were worried about Mississippi being 5 hours from Alabama-Huntsville, perhaps it provides too much of an advantage for Clarkson, seeing as how it's only 20 miles from hel- er Potsdam.

BTW, are we limited to locations within this country? We might be able to find a dump or two in Canada.
    I think actual pictures of those who have been traumatized by the Mall experience may sway the opinion of the committee. I will see what I can conjure up.

I second the question about locations only within the country? If not, I already have a couple rinks in mind from my youth hockey days across the river.

Here's a western suggestion:

The Harry J McDonald Memorial Center, located in Eagle River, Alaska. Seating only 700 lucky people who might venture up to the frozen tundra to watch the wildlife and see some snow, this olympic sized ice sheet was built in 1984. While it is 15 miles from Anchorage, it is still a very long trip for all but 2 potential teams.

Picture: http://www.mcdonaldcenter.net/schedule.htm

facility history: http://www.mcdonaldcenter.net/facility_history.htm
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X