Let's No Messa round, Time for a New Union Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's No Messa round, Time for a New Union Rink

I usually don't post much but I had to add another story about the seating problems on Saturday night.

I was first in line on Wed @ 10am to buy faculty/staff tickets and bought 4 tickets in section 11, row 9 seats 5-8. I arrived at the game around 6:20 and, much to my shock, a camera and stand had been erected in rows 9 through 12 or so right where our seats would be. Of course we then sat elsewhere and were then yelled at for not being in our correct seats. This is ludicrous... They knew this was a televised game requiring multiple cameras. Why the hell would you sell tickets to the spot where you set this camera up, especially for a sell-out? I also had a friend and his pregnant wife who were rudely asked to move because they were in someone else's seat (their seats were in the camera area) so the security guard made them move 7 rows up. Smart move with someone who is pregnant.

For most every game everyone just sits where they want to. The ticket office should move to general admissions and first come, first served seating. No one is ever in their proper seat and the ushers/campus safety do a horrible job enforcing it.

Other than that, these forums are always entertaining and I am hoping for a CD sweep this weekend. Fear the District!
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 2014
    Frozen Four: 2012, 2014
    ECAC Champs: 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA Appearances: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UnionTDX04 View Post
      I usually don't post much but I had to add another story about the seating problems on Saturday night.

I was first in line on Wed @ 10am to buy faculty/staff tickets and bought 4 tickets in section 11, row 9 seats 5-8. I arrived at the game around 6:20 and, much to my shock, a camera and stand had been erected in rows 9 through 12 or so right where our seats would be. Of course we then sat elsewhere and were then yelled at for not being in our correct seats. This is ludicrous... They knew this was a televised game requiring multiple cameras. Why the hell would you sell tickets to the spot where you set this camera up, especially for a sell-out? I also had a friend and his pregnant wife who were rudely asked to move because they were in someone else's seat (their seats were in the camera area) so the security guard made them move 7 rows up. Smart move with someone who is pregnant.

For most every game everyone just sits where they want to. The ticket office should move to general admissions and first come, first served seating. No one is ever in their proper seat and the ushers/campus safety do a horrible job enforcing it.

Other than that, these forums are always entertaining and I am hoping for a CD sweep this weekend. Fear the District!
      There really is no excuse for not blocking out those seats. This will not happen in the new rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post
        The last "major" rehab was a just a skeleton of what they originally planned until the funding got messed up last second. They were actually going to go the complete opposite of hat you envisioned though. Instead of going up, the rehab plan was to go down and drop the ice surface to the abandoned curling area in the basement.
        Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. Lynah is actually kinda built like that. And of course could call it "The Pit" or "The Bunker" .

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        They would probably have to return Frank Messa''s $2M. I think Qpac has the only rink in the ECAC which sold naming rights commercially. Does anyone have an idea how much TD Bank paid or pays for that? I say we go to Price Chopper and see if they want to get back into hockey.
        Great idea!! And the winners of chuck-a-puck would get a free ham and a year's supply of aluminum foil .
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Don't most people call it a pit anyway?
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
            Don't most people call it a pit anyway?
            Arm or snake?

Comment

College Hockey News included the building of new college hockey arenas in its top 10 college hockey stories of the decade and pointed to the obvious advantages enjoyed by programs with new facilities. It also highlighted the fact that the ECAC hadn't built a new facility after Cheel in 1991 until Qpac did so. Implied is that part of the reason for the ECAC's decline relative to other conferences is due to its antiquated facilities.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../18_partii.php

Comment

College Hockey News included the building of new college hockey arenas in its top 10 college hockey stories of the decade and pointed to the obvious advantages enjoyed by programs with new facilities. It also highlighted the fact that the ECAC hadn't built a new facility after Cheel in 1991 until Qpac did so. Implied is that part of the reason for the ECAC's decline relative to other conferences is due to its antiquated facilities.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../18_partii.php
                It's definitely a fair argument. I doubt SLU, Princeton, or Yale are interested in new facilities any time soon, but I would argue that RPI, Union, and Brown especially could use some new digs.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  It's definitely a fair argument. I doubt SLU, Princeton, or Yale are interested in new facilities any time soon, but I would argue that RPI, Union, and Brown especially could use some new digs.
                  I've never been to Brown or Princeton. From what I've seen the Yale Whale looks like it had a nice overhaul. RPI at least can handle a decent sized crowd. I'm not looking for luxury, just some of the basics that fans should expect of a D-1 facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    I would argue that RPI, Union, and Brown especially could use some new digs.
                    It would have been a nice addition to go along with the new athletic village.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                      It would have been a nice addition to go along with the new athletic village.
                      Heck, it would have been a nice alternative to the new athletic village. A new rink and parking garage, and forget the rest of it.
                      APBWiki

Comment

It has to be implied, because if it were stated then there would need to be some objective backing for the statement, like a correlation between age of building and strength of program.

There isn't, and there isn't.

I like Union's barn. It's not Matthews or Appleton, but nothing is. Far more intense, interesting place to watch a game than any building built since about 1980.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          It has to be implied, because if it were stated then there would need to be some objective backing for the statement, like a correlation between age of building and strength of program.

There isn't, and there isn't.

I like Union's barn. It's not Matthews or Appleton, but nothing is. Far more intense, interesting place to watch a game than any building built since about 1980.
                          I could live with an upgrade of the present facility. My major gripe is with its lack of creature comfort for seating, restrooms, PA system, HVAC, concessions, parking and the like. For reasons previously stated here, a brand new facility anytime soon seems to be an unrealistic expectation.

Comment

I could live with an upgrade of the present facility. My major gripe is with its lack of creature comfort for seating, restrooms, PA system, HVAC, concessions, parking and the like. For reasons previously stated here, a brand new facility anytime soon seems to be an unrealistic expectation.
                            You could always do what we did for a while, make the visitors sit in fold-up chairs on a rickety movable section, while the home team gets nice seats. Of course now that this suggestion is in the air, I'm not going to Messa anymore. Not that I would without armor, but at least it's not another place, where a friend and bail money is required...

Comment

Working...
                            X