Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CC vs. UAA

Originally posted by Esoxpirate View Post
    This weekends battle against AA Will be Epic... I think the tigers will walk away with at least 2 points but I am leaning twoards 3... AA defensive style grinds anybody game to make then almost play on pure player ability.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

This weekends battle against AA Will be Epic... I think the tigers will walk away with at least 2 points but I am leaning twoards 3... AA defensive style grinds anybody game to make then almost play on pure player ability.
      ???

I'm with you Suze - I can't make heads or tails of it.

Comment

I was just saying that this series has the ability to be the series of the weekend in the WCHA, and that AA defense can kill teamwork. It will take great plays by individual players to break this game open...

Esox
        ESOX
        Badger Fan at heart, but its hard not to love the Sioux...

A friend will bail you out of jail.
        A true friend will be sitting next to you in Jail.
        A teamate will open the door of the cop car so you don't go to jail.

Freshman demands... I Want:
        to go toe 2 toe W/ Ron Hextall in his prime..
        to watch the 1980 National champioship game live..
        Dave haxstall to smile..
        to shoot on Ed Belfour in his prime...
        the annual water polo game back, and make it real this time...

Comment

I was just saying that this series has the ability to be the series of the weekend in the WCHA, and that AA defense can kill teamwork. It will take great plays by individual players to break this game open...

Esox
          I hope you are right. I hope CC plays like a bunch of individuals and not as a team.
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Esox
            It seems to me that your own team is probably involved in the series of the weekend in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              I hope you are right. I hope CC plays like a bunch of individuals and not as a team.

The only thing I can figure which DOES seem accurate is that when they're playing well UAA's trap is as good as anyone's at taking away/disrupting transition, which does make the game about 1 on 1 battles. I suspect this is why teams which rely heavily on transition for their offense (CC SCSU DU MN) struggle against UAA. Most of the time, Anchorage makes a team work the entire 200 feet and plays very hard in the individual battles.

UAA fans would probably have to confirm this, but I'm thinking UAA is far better than their record indicates--I was impressed with their Saturday night performance at CSWA and they looked very strong against DU on television.

Comment

When UAA plays well, I agree Joe. When they're on their game they can play with and beat the top teams in the country. However, they also seem to lay an egg quite a few times each season as well. North Dakota, Denver, and CC have all seen what UAA can do when they're on. However, this is also the same team that's been smoked by Minnesota (4-1, 5-1) and Mankato (8-2). Those are decent teams, but not exactly world beaters.

This weekend doesn't look "epic" to me. I think the story will be more about which teams show up. If it's the team that lost 4-0 to the Badgers for CC and the one that beat Denver 7-3 for UAA, then this will be the week CC loses a chance at home ice. If it's the team that jumped all over Wisconsin Saturday and the UAA team that lost to Robert Morris (yeah, they beat Miami twice - they still aren't very good), then CC should roll.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBair View Post
                  The only thing I can figure which DOES seem accurate is that when they're playing well UAA's trap is as good as anyone's at taking away/disrupting transition, which does make the game about 1 on 1 battles. I suspect this is why teams which rely heavily on transition for their offense (CC SCSU DU MN) struggle against UAA. Most of the time, Anchorage makes a team work the entire 200 feet and plays very hard in the individual battles.

UAA fans would probably have to confirm this, but I'm thinking UAA is far better than their record indicates--I was impressed with their Saturday night performance at CSWA and they looked very strong against DU on television.
                  Sometimes I think they are better than their record, and other times not. They sure had an impressive two weeks on the road though. I am ready for some hockey, seems like forever since I attended a game at the Sully!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Good luck, it will be a good series to see on TV..

Also Tig, How would one go about getting a meal ticket?

Esox
                    These 50 tickets go very fast, and may be all gone by now. Send me an e-mail to pikespeak99@msn.com and I will give you a name and phone number of the person who sells them. Thank you for being a tiger fan! Go Tigers!!
                    World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

If UAA can clog the neutral zone like they did against denver they will be in both games, they just have to get some scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBair View Post
                        I believe that UAA is a capable team and we all know when they decide to show up they can compete with anyone. Our goaltending isn't going to steal many games, we need the D to show up and play. I am hoping that the guys are getting used to their linemates and coach leaves them alone to develop some chemistry. Two solid weekends, with effort and results is encouraging to me. Let's see if we show up in the 1st home series of the new year.

How is CC's goaltending? Does your Blueliners play a physical game? I don't know much about this years "Black Bears".
                        GO SEAWOLVES!

Comment

Originally posted by dude View Post
                          I believe that UAA is a capable team and we all know when they decide to show up they can compete with anyone. Our goaltending isn't going to steal many games, we need the D to show up and play. I am hoping that the guys are getting used to their linemates and coach leaves them alone to develop some chemistry. Two solid weekends, with effort and results is encouraging to me. Let's see if we show up in the 1st home series of the new year.

How is CC's goaltending? Does your Blueliners play a physical game? I don't know much about this years "Black Bears".
                          A lot of pucks have ended in the back of the net with Joe Howe in goal of late. Don't know if any other CC fans are concerned, but I am. I have seen Joe Howe for every home game and some games on the road and he was playing better early in the season compared to now. Sure it is not all his fault and maybe not even half his fault, but shots he stopped early in the season are not being stopped now.

CC's blueliners are more physical than years past. Most stand around 6-2, but a talented freshman named Doug Leaverton stands 6-4.

Go Tigers!!
                          World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

Comment

Originally posted by dude View Post
                            Joe Howe has been very good in net for CC. He hasn't had the kind of freshman year that Bachman had, but a 2.69 gaa and .911 save percentage is more than I would have hoped for out of a freshman goalie. CC's defense isn't overly physical. Kris Fredheim has been one of my favorites since his sophomore year - he's the kind of defenseman you don't notice because he doesn't get out of position or make mistakes. This year he's really picked up his physical play and his puck skills, but both are done only when it's needed. Nate Prosser and Ryan Lowery are the other upperclassmen who have been steady on the blueline for 3+ years. All three will hit, but they're not overly physicaly. Gabe Guentzel got plenty of ice time as a freshman defenseman last year, and is the one most likely to jump into the offense (and make a mistake also, in my opinion). CC has been relying on those 4 for the big minutes and plays them in key situations.
                            After those 4 they have some guys who are getting their first real experience in college hockey. Doug Leaverton and Joe Marciano are both freshmen who have played most of the games, although they both seem to get limited minutes. Both seem to play a pretty simple game when they're out there - not looking for the big hit or the chance to jump up for a goal. Freshman Mike Boivin has played in about half the games so far. He clearly has some offensive skill, but in my opinion could use a bit of work on the defensive end.
                            At forward CC has usually had an identifiable star in the recent past - Chad Rau, Marty Sertich, Brett Sterling, Peter Sejna, Brian Swanson, etc. This year's team doesn't have that obvious go-to guy. Bill Sweatt is the closest, but it really feels to me that this team almost has 4 second lines instead of obvious first, second, third and fourth lines. If you take out special teams goals, the goal scoring isn't all that different between the guys who have been on the top line and those on the other lines. Heck, Andrew Hamburg, a freshman, has only played in 11 of the team's 24 games and he's 3rd on the team in even strength goals with 5. I think he's going to be very hard for the coaches to sit for the next few games.

This team reminds me a bit of Bemidji State's team last season. When they have jump, are skating hard and are really moving then they're very good. Wisconsin didn't know what hit them 2 minutes into Saturday's game. When they are sitting back and look lazy, they flat out suck. I think a good barometer is Tim Hall. He's always skating hard (at least early in his shift, he seems to get stuck on long shifts too often). If he sticks out, then the rest of the team isn't skating hard and things don't look good for CC. If everyone is flying around like he is, then they're playing the game they need to in order to win.

Comment

Thanks CC fans,for info on your team, it'll make watching your team that much more interesting. It looks like it could be a fun series to watch, we should have a little bit of confidence having beaten you guys down in the Springs a few months back. If all of our guys show and play together for 60 minutes, it will be an entertaining weekend.
                              GO SEAWOLVES!

Comment

Gosh, I was hoping this would be the season that Colorado College could spare a couple points to give to UAA on their home ice.

But looking at the conference standings I just don't see a way where CC can afford to give up any, so it is imperative that the Tigers keep all four points this weekend. Maybe next season UAA, maybe next season.

Go Tigers!! Need four points!!

Comment

Working...
                                X