Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    TVR is also a popular projection to be picked up by Las Vegas in next years expansion draft...
    That's a pretty fair assessment Dan...I had read that awhile ago when he was first out with his injury.

In other hockey alum news Collin MacD, who has been playing for the Macon Mayhem (SPHL) has been called up to the Fla Everblades. Collin has had a great start and was named player of the week for the league. Good for him!! Also Harry Quast debuts with a Scottish pro team tomorrow...the Braehead Clan.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-03-2016, 02:36 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Rumor on the street .... RE: Maine game at the Whitt .... the student section is sold out as are general admission. If this be true I am glad for the players ...

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
        Rumor on the street .... RE: Maine game at the Whitt .... the student section is sold out as are general admission. If this be true I am glad for the players ...
        Student and GA pretty much full. The rest has filled in after a slow start attendance wise

Everyone has shown up to see the 150 foot stretch pass on a power play turn into a 1 on 4. My new UNH pet peeve other than an AD and Head Coach who are still around, the standing still at the offensive blue line waiting for a pass allowing everyone to catch up. A close 2nd is the 60ft pass on a power play for a one timer that never works on big ice. Someone tell Umile this won't work on a big sheet. Only works in practice when you have marginal talent against marginal talent

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
          Couldn't believe my eyes watching online - marked improvement over earlier games. Hope the energy and a 5-1 win over our rivals (kind of a stretch word) gets a little momentum going, attendance and results wise.

******ed I couldn't be up there this weekend.
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Let's see, packed house (check), 5-1 win over Maine(check), UNH football FCS D1 (check). All is good
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Nice win for the 'Cats tonight. Follow that up with another win up in the Downeast, and I might start to think some progress is being made here. Tirone solid, decent crowd, UNH pulls away late. All good. Another step forward in The March.

Greg - in summary, McCloskey got screwed but I do agree he put himself in a vulnerable position, yet a supportive AD would probably have given him a short suspension (but an opportunistic git ended up firing him) ... the gift was mostly unrestricted, and the donor clearly could have donated more to his particular areas of interest if he really wanted to, no? But he didn't - so I think it's presumptuous for any of us to say what UNH *should* have done (and BTW no one cares what you've donated ) ... UNH Football is still competing in the second tier of college football, so you can call if FCS or D-1AA or the Lingerie Football League for all I care, but it's still a second tier thing (and I'm still rooting for them to win it) ... and if you are getting paid for what you do as a coach, you are open to criticism. Especially if you're an ungrateful ______ - as in, you start the game standing on second base, and you think you've hit a double. Maybe you then stole 3rd base in Year One, so kudos ... but you never scored. And you never thanked the guy who built your program. This season, you got thrown out trying to steal second base. You know what they say about karma ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

so basically Chuck, you are conceding my points. Let's leave it at that and revel in the fact that UNH pummeled Maine tonight.

Comment

Best win of season for Cats? Need to do it again tonight, as UMass and Yukon beat the iron of HEA last night. Also, need to run the December table to stay on Quest (or, that's one, we need three more).

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    so basically Chuck, you are conceding my points not really??. Let's leave it at that and revel in the fact that UNH pummeled Maine tonight.
                    Hoping for a sweep tonight so we can really revel. And not to belabor points on issues that no doubt have our fellow posters' eyes glossing over by now, but let's just say we have a fair (yet incomplete) degree of overlap on the McCloskey issue ... but on those issues that follow (in order), we agree less & less as we go down the list.

We'll live - no big deal. We've disagreed before, we'll disagree again. Part of the fun of the forum.

And it's always more fun when the team is winning. Look for an upgrade on the outlook for a successful ending to The Quest IF there's a road (upset) win at Alfond tonight. You read it here first.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      ...(and BTW no one cares what you've donated ) ...
                      I do and I appreciate it. Greg, I know that you are fortunate enough to have made significant donations over the years and hope you continue, perhaps with scholarship donations which benefit students directly.

Nice win, atmosphere last night. The best I have felt exiting the Whitt in quite some time. Letting the students fill in both ends? Genius. Overflow students brought energy to the masses by infiltrating the chair back seats. They had the old school cheers going as well - "inbred red necks, back up sieve, winning team, warm up the bus". "Beat 'em, smash 'em..." still MIA.

Go 'cats. Beat Maine!
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Pretty cool fact I read last night in a CHN blog...according to Jeff Cox Matias Cleland is leading all of HE with consecutive points scored; last night he racked up another 2 (assists). He is going to be soooo sorely missed! Glad to see Cam Marks get one from the point. If the 'Cats can overcome the atmosphere at the Alfond, and Tirone continues to play well, I see no reason why they shouldn't sweep. I will say it's going to be a tall order, but its very doable.

If you haven't checked out HE stats it's nice to see a few 'Cats doing well in many categories, including goal tending. Sure we haven't hit the tough part of the HE schedule yet but you take it where you can. I am cautiously optimistic that we will give it a go in the second half. No predictions tho... I'll leave that up to WIS productions inc.....

Good luck to you football fans today! Go 'Cats!! #KelleherForHobey

Ps...Darius always good to see you here!!!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-03-2016, 09:18 AM.
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          I do and I appreciate it. Greg, I know that you are fortunate enough to have made significant donations over the years and hope you continue, perhaps with scholarship donations which benefit students directly.
                          Actually, we still give to the Charlie Holt Endowment which helps fund a hockey scholarship. We do that solely because of our fond memories of Charlie and the entire Holt family. It's been a long time since he's been coach (30 years), and the end was not very good for him. But Charlie was not only a hockey innovator and well respected by his peers (a member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame), he was also one of the warmest human beings I ever got to meet.

As for the UNH General Fund, perhaps we'll consider in a year or two and start giving again. But given the financial woes UNH has had ever since I was a student (and probably before), it is beyond the pale that the school would use a million dollar unrestricted gift for a freakin' scoreboard. Technically within their rights but educationally? Indefensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Letting the students fill in both ends? Genius. Overflow students brought energy to the masses by infiltrating the chair back seats. They had the old school cheers going as well - "inbred red necks, back up sieve, winning team, warm up the bus". "Beat 'em, smash 'em..." still MIA.

Go 'cats. Beat Maine!
                            Yes, but what took so long. Giving unsold tickets to as many students as were interested has been suggested for years on this forum. And will it continue for future "non-rivalry" games? It should.

Oh, and next time Darius - grab three friends and the bull by the horns and MAKE beat 'em, smash 'em happen! Do it for me! Hahaha...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              As for the UNH General Fund, perhaps we'll consider in a year or two and start giving again. But given the financial woes UNH has had ever since I was a student (and probably before), it is beyond the pale that the school would use a million dollar unrestricted gift for a freakin' scoreboard. Technically within their rights but educationally? Indefensible.
                              "Beyond the pale" ... and "indefensible"? And I thought I was the one who went overboard with the rhetoric.

So ... just for spits and giggles, playing devil's advocate here ... if it's really SO off the grid to allocate a big donation to go to a new scoreboard when a university's primary mission is education ...

... where was the hue and cry of outrage and anguish about misplaced priorities two summers ago when Walt Borisenok decided to gift the school a very expensive new scoreboard at The Whitt?

Yes, Walt chose to earmark his gift for a scoreboard. Understood, I get it. But why wasn't HE lectured about how "beyond the pale" he was being for "indefensibly" not donating his money to a more educationally-focused purpose? Didn't he know the University System could have used his dough to create dozens of new safe spaces around campus for our gentle snowflake community?? Or did we stow our indignation *maybe* just because it went into our 20 yr. old arena with its '70's low tech boards???

The "football-mad" librarian knew he had $4MM to give away, earmarked less than 10% for the library, and chose - yes, chose - to leave the rest up to the powers that be at UNH. After all, it was his choice to do this. "When you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - right, 'Watcher?

I've conceded it was a curious, even questionable call, and it was made more clumsy by trying to create the misguided fairy tale/cover story about how the (undoubtedly) generous librarian had become a rabid football fan in his final days. If Walt Borisenok hadn't surfaced with his donation a year earlier ... who's to say the powers that be at UNH wouldn't have created that same fable about the (undoubtedly) generous librarian going native about hockey to support buying the long-awaited arena scoreboard(s) and other upgrades?

And would we still be using terms like "beyond the pale" or "indefensible"? With all due respect, I kinda doubt it.

Go 'Cats - Sweep UMaine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Couldn't agree more, Darius.

Greg, your generosity is not only appreciated but it set an example for me a few months back. After having already endowed a scholarship connecting my high school to PTP a couple years back, I wanted to do something for the 150 Campaign. Reading through some of the literature on the campaign, I came across the great piece on you and your wife, and specifically what you did for the OT school. I was really impressed, and chose to follow your lead with what I did.

Thank you for your commitment and for setting a great example for others.

Go Cats.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X