Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
    I'm a bit surprised to see you take this position, Greg. I think it's pretty obvious a good coach can improve a player's game by teaching them things like positioning and getting them to work collectively in a scheme. Even when you get a great talent like Eichel, you can help him be better by understanding your team's systems and dynamics - and we don't have any Eichels. These kids are supposed to be D1 talents, and yet both first goals against last weekend looked like mite defense - three guys chasing the puck and nobody paying attention to the weak side. We didn't see that sort of mistake (much) during Torterella's brief stint, and you won't see that sort of thing from a Bazin team, despite their unimpressive recruiting. Team defense has noticeably declined since Torts departure, and not exclusively due to the talent drop off. At this point I don't care much which coach leaves if they replace him with a good defensive mind.
    Aerman, I so agree with your comments especially on Torts. I thought his influence/impact was evident by the mid point of his first year. He seemed to be able to make individual and team D much better in all facets of the game. I have noted before that having 3 very offensively oriented coaches may not be in our best interest. Playing and coaching the blue line is very different from guys who have had a go to the goal mentality their entire life.
    On last night, I must give a nod to DT. He has disappointed me often, but he keep them in that one. Nice game!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Aerman, I so agree with your comments especially on Torts. I thought his influence/impact was evident by the mid point of his first year. He seemed to be able to make individual and team D much better in all facets of the game. I have noted before that having 3 very offensively oriented coaches may not be in our best interest. Playing and coaching the blue line is very different from guys who have had a go to the goal mentality their entire life.
      On last night, I must give a nod to DT. He has disappointed me often, but he keep them in that one. Nice game!
      Not to rip on Stewie but wasn't he switched over to the attack and Borek took over the D after Tort's departure mid season that year? Right now, I believe MSouza is coaching the D, am I right? Agree that you have to have people coach to their strengths...and that yes, our D performed at a higher level under Torts. Still, lest we forget (and not to rip on current players) the personnel was different then...Pesce, TvR etc. Def agree that DT kept them in the game esp in the third, when we were outshot and hemmed in.

Analytics probably do show UNH is outplayed mins wise in the zone but you still gotta put it in the net to win and we've been able to do that...we'll see how it goes as the competition gets stiffer when we hit the HE schedule after the break. I will say am glad to see Maller out there last night and think Wyse is really coming along.

Ok...anyone out here think Clarky gets a start against RPI?
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-19-2016, 02:07 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Not to rip on Stewie but wasn't he switched over to the attack and Borek took over the D after Tort's departure mid season that year? Right now, I believe MSouza is coaching the D, am I right? Agree that you have to have people coach to their strengths...and that yes, our D performed at a higher level under Torts. Still, lest we forget (and not to rip on current players) the personnel was different then...Pesce, TvR etc. Def agree that DT kept them in the game esp in the third, when we were outshot and hemmed in.
        It's OK to rip on coaches and/or players if you are on point ... I'd rip whomever decided to put Stewie with the defenders, that didn't work. If the current players aren't up to the previous players' talent, that's probably a rip better directed at the recruiting (coaches) than the players.

So all roads basically lead back to the same place ... Rip City.

Analytics probably do show UNH is outplayed mins wise in the zone but you still gotta put it in the net to win and we've been able to do that...we'll see how it goes as the competition gets stiffer when we hit the HE schedule after the break. I will say am glad to see Maller out there last night and think Wyse is really coming along.
        Analytics and hockey are just a poor match (which is why I love hockey). You can spend all the time you want in the attacking zone, but if you don't have the quality/talent to make it pay off, then what's the relevance? Hockey analytics have way too many presumptions of equality over time to be relevant in the big picture. I'll take the first goal, let me play with a lead, you can have the rest.

Ok...anyone out here think Clarky gets a start against RPI?
        Depends on whether he looks sharp in the warm-ups (sorry Dan). Seriously, after the ASFU debacle ... I doubt it.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Depends on whether he looks sharp in the warm-ups (sorry Dan). Seriously, after the ASFU debacle ... I doubt it.
          No problem, Chuck. See, I've long been aware of your aversion to stats - and inability to understand or to incorporate analytics or numbers into the decision making process. I guess, even still, I didn't keep my argument simple enough (spatial eye test) for your taste. My bad. #ManySmileyFaces
          Last edited by Dan; 11-19-2016, 08:12 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Analytics and hockey are just a poor match (which is why I love hockey). You can spend all the time you want in the attacking zone, but if you don't have the quality/talent to make it pay off, then what's the relevance? Hockey analytics have way too many presumptions of equality over time to be relevant in the big picture.
            Call me naive, but I will take as much time as possible in the attacking zone, as the more time spent there, the less time that the opposing team is skating circles around our porous defense and pummeling our goaltender with rubber at the other end.

I still say that putting Grasso on TyK's line, besides the PP, would pay huge dividends.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Argh what might have been...can still see that hit on KG. Dan you were right according to C-H-C TyK is second among point getters with his 5 point antics!! You are lucky out there you get to see a ton of great hockey isn't Denver #1 in the country right now?

Also while it's a small HE sample don't think the 'Cats swept any HE series last year.
              Yes, DU is ranked first in the country and they're a great team to watch - this weekend they have thoroughly outplayed my alma mater with 4:43 to go in the first period of game two. (Miami's rise and recent struggles are so parallel to UNHs it's scary).

The problem with DU is they don't score enough goals - they're not the best team in the country in my opinion. They have a talented and mobile defense that would make Watcher's mouth water and two good goalies. But aside from Gambrell, Terry and Borgstrom (who don't finish as they should either) they're left with a bunch of hardworking forwards who can skate like the wind. Because they skate so well, DU can roll four lines who can play with any line in the country but they don't finish well enough...

Still, it would be a great time to be a Pioneer fan as they are fun to watch and Montgomery, (a non-alum coach, who replaced a legend many thought would never be let go - what a concept), despite being a BB, is a dog on the recruiting trail and as creative as they come. UNH should take note. But I suppose that's why DU wins the Directors Cup for non-football schools every year and UNH is UNH. Attitude and commitment throughout an AD is critical and UNH doesn't have it...
              Last edited by Dan; 11-19-2016, 08:52 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

UNH still tied for third with three others in HEA games, with a game in hand over those other four teams. DU has team focused on the states, err games, that matter, rather than the OOC cupcakes, which were probably scheduled by design to throw off WIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  UNH still tied for third with three others in HEA games, with a game in hand over those other four teams. DU has team focused on the states, err games, that matter, rather than the OOC cupcakes, which were probably scheduled by design to throw off WIS.
                  As bad as Hockey (L)East is this year, I think the majority of the cupcakes are in the league rather than out of it.
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Yes, UNH has really been facing the iron of Hockey East so far. Merrimack (2), UMass (2) besides BC (1).

Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled with 3-1-1 in HE to date ... but I'm pretty sure that's a mirage?

Bentley, Colorado College, Sacred Heart, and Arizona Football State ... if I were to ask you before the season started how many games from that bunch UNH should win, I'd challenge any of you to say you'd have expected anything less than 2, and many (myself included) would have predicted 3 (we all probably would have conceded one hiccup in the group).

Instead, UNH posted a big fat ZERO wins (0-3-1) in the Chase to the Cupcake Cup. And the tie (SHU) was so close to a loss it's frightening.

But what's done is done ... so no looking back, and now UNH has to begin to atone for those non-wins, starting against the surprisingly sugar-coated RPI Engineers in a pre-holiday game UNH almost never wins.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Congrats UNH football fans! Your season just got extended...playing LeHigh next week!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Congrats UNH football fans! Your season just got extended...playing LeHigh next week!
                        Gotta love it
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Volleyball the flagship sport at UNH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Volleyball the flagship sport at UNH.
                            I thought that was women's swim and dive?
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              I thought that was women's swim and dive?
                              Dunno about dat, but UNH volleyball won against Albany yesterday, for their fourth straight #AEVB championship.

Comment

Dunno about dat, but UNH volleyball won against Albany yesterday, for their fourth straight #AEVB championship.
                                Snively65 being the trivial buff you are regarding UNH Athletics...what is the ONLY UNH team who won a D1 (NCAA sponsored that is...) Championship? Hint: it's not a hockey team 2nd hint: one of the players on that team coaches today at the U.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X