Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    18 more months to see if Mike Souza can coach or recruit?

Ah, Micheal Ray Richardson.
    "The ship be sinking. Reporter: How far can it sink? Richardson: Sky's the limit. "

That's also 18 months of watching poor hockey at best and 18 months of a coach who has been passed by the game. Is Souza going to learn much? It's been 26 years of the same with no adjustment

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by norbert View Post
      That's also 18 months of watching poor hockey at best and 18 months of a coach who has been passed by the game. Is Souza going to learn much? It's been 26 years of the same with no adjustment
      You're assuming, perhaps correctly, that Mike gets the job no matter what. I am taking them at their word that Souza would do so "if things go well and we continue to win, I’ll get that opportunity." See post 702. I may be completely off, and perhaps his contract mandates him being the new HC, as Bomber (I think) wrote. But if it is open, then let's see what Mike has got rather than rushing the decision.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Do the Wildcats take any face offs in practice?

Sounds like Jamie Hill is playing well, according to radio guys?

Looks like e.cat is winning the SOG debate so far in this one?

Good to see Wildcat PP clicking this season, but not sorry that I am missing these games in person this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          You're assuming, perhaps correctly, that Mike gets the job no matter what. I am taking them at their word that Souza would do so "if things go well and we continue to win, I’ll get that opportunity." See post 702. I may be completely off, and perhaps his contract mandates him being the new HC, as Bomber (I think) wrote. But if it is open, then let's see what Mike has got rather than rushing the decision.
          I think it would be extremely naïve of Souza to assume he will take over as HC once DU's time is up, regardless of the results during his time as assistant/HC in training. If the program continues to tank, and there is nothing happening on the recruiting front, it would be foolish of BS35+4 (or 5) to just plug him in in March 2017/2018.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Salvaggio pots one with Tirone off the ice. Clutch. Let's get one in OT! With a PP to start the OT
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              Salvaggio pots one with Tirone off the ice. Clutch. Let's get one in OT! With a PP to start the OT
              Woooooo a beauty!!!!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                Excellent news!! This would be a nice turnaround for the team after yesterday's debacle ...

Comment

Was that Black Betty that I just heard on my radio?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    You bet!!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      They have been playing the song all season, but without lyrics.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Could be that Ara N will return to the line up 'soon' Blackburn too...

Going to give the 'Cats credit for digging in in the 3rd...lots of hustle and much needed forechecking created that scoring opp. Glad to get out of it with a point in HE play. As per Jamie H wow he broke out of the zone so fast at one point I would not have been surprised to see flames behind him!

I see ASU lost to BC 3-1 fwiw dept...e.cat have you packed your bags yet?!?
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH still third in HEA points total. Beat UMass again on Friday night, then sweep Maine in the two HEA games, UNH coukd then go without another win until the last weekend of the season when they would need to sweep UConn for home ice in the PBEGAM tourney, or whatever it is called. So, home ice with say a 9-23-2 regular season record. Does not help much with the QUEST, but what the hay.

Comment

WIS Productions brings you the latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 575
                            Wins Remaining to the next round number: 25
                            *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 61
                            Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 41%
                            WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 60%
                            2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 3/8 (37.5%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

... and the "hits" just keep coming. First it was a season-opening loss at home to Bentley. OK, that can happen to anyone, once or twice even. Colorado College? OK - there's your "twice". Next, it was Sacred Heart, and that was a shocker and a huge reality check. But I'm not sure even that one prepared the UNH faithful (fateful?) for Saturday night and the debacle that was Arizona State Football U, blowing a two goal lead in the dying minutes of the game, and then losing it altogether in OT. In terms of what WIS editorial board continues to term The Quest (although other terms are actively under review) ... the Effingwoods Chamber of Commerce (that's home to your current Governor-elect and US Senator-elect - it's been a busy week in these here parts) didn't much care whether or not ASFU won or tied the game - that's never been the point. These games had been put on the UNH schedule for one reason - wins. Those haven't happened even close to frequently enough, and it's increasingly clear that UNH itself is trending strongly into "cupcake" territory themselves, despite what can be charitably described as a just-under-.500 record so far this season. Beyond professional pride, WIS prognosticators also take zero satisfaction at nailing Sunday evening's 3-3 result in last Wednesday's prediction. It's just the latest lost opportunity TBH.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS experts' collective sanity is now an open question, as their projection that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 game stretch of the season appears to be shipwrecked at the bottom of the sea, since the 'Cats will now need to almost run the table with 6 wins in their final 7 games of the 2016 section of their schedule. The 4 win total at the 1/3's mark of the season (4-5-2) is also projecting to a paltry 12 win season, even as the middle section of the schedule is shaping up as easier than anticipated, with teams like UMaine, Northeastern and RPI struggling, and with UMass and Brown being UMass and Brown. The 3rd and final section of the schedule is daunting, and we'll leave it at that. It appears Liam Blackburn will now be sidelined for a bit, eating further into what not so long ago was starting to look like effective scoring depth and balance. And G Adam Clark once again spit the bit when given his latest opportunity to become relevant again between the pipes in UmileLand. If we're looking for silver linings, WIS can point to Mike McNicholas, who seems to be scoring for fun since his (late) return to the UNH line-up this Fall. Long may that continue.

As a result of two squandered cupcakes - one of the mega CC variety - WIS has thought long and hard, and regrettably must downgrade its forecast for a happy ending to The Quest to only 60% after this past weekend's games. WIS has now deemed that The Quest will be downgraded to The Quast if UNH's form in these cupcake games can't be reversed, and quickly. Fortunately, due to the scheduling foresight of those in charge, UNH is not short of winnable games coming up, so this Quest is far from finished ...

Predictions:

Friday: @ UNH 3 UMass 2
                            Next Tuesday: @ UNH 4 RPI 2

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 12/2/16 @ home vs. UMaine; 12/3/16 vs. UMaine @ Orono

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Not a freakin' chance in the world. You gotta hand it to Coach ... if you're going to gack up a historical wishbone to establish the latest new low for your program, he really has got it all figured out on how to bury the lead. To say BS35+4's mind may be elsewhere this weekend is probably an understatement of epic proportions. While the easily-melted snowflakes still flutter all atwitter across the Durham campus with their coloring books and therapy dogs in the aftermath of the insensitive uprooting of all things politically correct at midweek last week ... our fearless leader still had his blue chip stocks to bank on at The House that Marty Built across the street, as the Football 'Cats looked to be solid bets to clinch their spot in the D-2 playoffs to extend their streak to 15 years in a row (still slightly exaggerated, my apologies ) against the Albany River Rats (or whatever they're actually called). But the Football 'Cats set the tone for the rest of the weekend, when they gacked up a double digit lead to lose to the Patroons (or whatever) and see their record fall to 6-4-0. Visions of that showcase ESPN8 home playoff game vs. the West Idaho State Spudsmen (or whatever) are now clearly in jeopardy, as UNH Football will have to go on the road to the Downeast and face the Football Black Bears, who are also vying to make the D-2 playoffs. It appears that only one of those two teams will qualify, so there's really no question that since the Flying Dutchmen (or whatever) ditched the 'Cats on Saturday afternoon, BS35+4 has been at full-time panic stations with no time to worry about much of anything else. If Coach Umile can right the ship with a little help from Coach McDonnell extending him some cover - this time with wins, and not an avoidable clutch loss - and get his team back to or above .500 for the Cornell game at MSG and BS35+4's next hockey-centric moment, he may actually escape the consequences of the historically devastating loss to ASFU. Coach may have to burn one or two of his nine lives to get it done, but the betting here is it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Not a freakin' chance in the world. You gotta hand it to Coach ... if you're going to gack up a historical wishbone to establish the latest new low for your program, he really has got it all figured out on how to bury the lead. To say BS35+4's mind may be elsewhere this weekend is probably an understatement of epic proportions. While the easily-melted snowflakes still flutter all atwitter across the Durham campus with their coloring books and therapy dogs in the aftermath of the insensitive uprooting of all things politically correct at midweek last week ... our fearless leader still had his blue chip stocks to bank on at The House that Marty Built across the street, as the Football 'Cats looked to be solid bets to clinch their spot in the D-2 playoffs to extend their streak to 15 years in a row (still slightly exaggerated, my apologies ) against the Albany River Rats (or whatever they're actually called). But the Football 'Cats set the tone for the rest of the weekend, when they gacked up a double digit lead to lose to the Patroons (or whatever) and see their record fall to 6-4-0. Visions of that showcase ESPN8 home playoff game vs. the West Idaho State Spudsmen (or whatever) are now clearly in jeopardy, as UNH Football will have to go on the road to the Downeast and face the Football Black Bears, who are also vying to make the D-2 playoffs. It appears that only one of those two teams will qualify, so there's really no question that since the Flying Dutchmen (or whatever) ditched the 'Cats on Saturday afternoon, BS35+4 has been at full-time panic stations with no time to worry about much of anything else. If Coach Umile can right the ship with a little help from Coach McDonnell extending him some cover - this time with wins, and not an avoidable clutch loss - and get his team back to or above .500 for the Cornell game at MSG and BS35+4's next hockey-centric moment, he may actually escape the consequences of the historically devastating loss to ASFU. Coach may have to burn one or two of his nine lives to get it done, but the betting here is it works.
                              Basketball team knocks off Temple in the preseason NIT....hockey floats further under the radar
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

"Wildcats Earn One Point During Long Week"
                                by Ben Nawn
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X