Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

I just can't figure out how we lost that 4-2 lead...but then the D wasn't clearing the zone...team looked tired (lame excuse lots of teams play 4-5 games in a week like they did so there's that...) and fully agree, we shouldn't have been in that spot (OT) in the first place...so this fan isn't blaming the issue on the ice (Blackburn injury) as the reason we lost. ASU isn't made up of a bunch of superstars but the ones they have did the job when they had to. PP wasn't the best last night either. Easy enough to say the 'game doesn't matter' and statistically, that's right. But you still should win the games you can win...oh well it happens. Could use Maller back in the line up and I will give props to the play of Wyse...he skates so well we are lucky to have him! Need more from Mr. Marks. ok, enough of that.

Suspect that 'Mack is looking for alittle redemption after their loss a couple of weeks ago and they are looking for HE points today after losing to UMass Friday hope the 'Cats are ready!!!

Bummed about the prospects of losing another quality forward...sigh.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-13-2016, 09:09 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      I just can't figure out how we lost that 4-2 lead...but then the D wasn't clearing the zone...team looked tired (lame excuse lots of teams play 4-5 games in a week like they did so there's that...) and fully agree, we shouldn't have been in that spot (OT) in the first place...so this fan isn't blaming the issue on the ice (Blackburn injury) as the reason we lost. ASU isn't made up of a bunch of superstars but the ones they have did the job when they had to. PP wasn't the best last night either. Easy enough to say the 'game doesn't matter' and statistically, that's right. But you still should win the games you can win...oh well it happens. Could use Maller back in the line up and I will give props to the play of Wyse...he skates so well we are lucky to have him! Need more from Mr. Marks. ok, enough of that.

Suspect that 'Mack is looking for alittle redemption after their loss a couple of weeks ago and they are looking for HE points today after losing to UMass Friday hope the 'Cats are ready!!!

They were definitely flat last night, agree with most of that. The only glaring discrepancy I see in Wyse's game is his inability to keep the puck in at the point. At least once per game a fairly easy keep in squeaks through him. It happened twice on the PP last night in the first period and got him demoted from the 2nd PP line in favor of Dawson. Wyse still needs some time and experience, he is definitely a good piece to have out there.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        Give Souza his opportunity starting Monday, I'm Not sure Souza is the answer but this limbo caused by "The Albatross" is doing nothing useful for the short or long term success of this program.

I guess it all hinges on what Souza was promised/guaranteed. If it is unconditional, then transition now. If it is conditional, as the only story about it says, then I'm not sure those conditions have been met. My point about giving Mike the three years to satisfy those conditions is that if he was promised a three year trial before making a decision, he should get the remaining year and a half to coach up the players and bring in recruits who would help return the program. If the decision is ironclad regardless of what happened in the three years, then get Umile out at end of season.

To put it in current terms, Mike lost his opportunity to come in as an outsider with a new view to "drain the swamp." He is now Hillary, trying to sell the status quo/incremental gains to the administration to which he belongs. Let's see how the recruits view the direction of the country vs. The electorate, and whether the team, like our inner cities, are he'll on earth.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-13-2016, 12:32 PM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
          Didn't see it, but here is the rule regarding stopping play for an injured player...
          When a player is injured and unable to continue play or go to the bench,
          play shall not be stopped until the injured player’s team has secured
          possession of the puck. If the player’s team is in possession of the puck at
          the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately, unless that team is in
          a scoring position.

When it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, an on-ice
          official may stop play immediately.
          So what this is really saying - if you are the team controlling the puck and a player from the OPPOSING team goes down with an injury, play continues essentially giving your team a "free powerplay" until the opposing team gains control of the puck. And I guess that it wasn't obvious to the officials that Blackburn lying prone on the ice wasn't enough to stop the play. Equally incredulous was a normally-vocal Umile not even challenging the call with refs. Wow.

But....you're right, UNH should have never put themselves in this position to begin with . It's going to be REAL interesting to see which UNH team shows up this afternoon...........
          Last edited by Scott; 11-13-2016, 09:53 AM.
          UNH

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            They were definitely flat last night
            In the wake of the election, some schools cancelled exams. Perhaps UNH should have cancelled hockey games. (and football for that matter) After all, TNH headline said "Campus Devastated."

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            It would be extremely rare to see a guy with Coach Umile's tenure and history to be asked to walk the plank in midseason.
            http://www.espn.com/college-football...sive-struggles

That said, things will likely look different in a few hours/days. Given the roller coaster/ inconsistent nature of this team, they probably win the next couple games, put some lipstick on the pig and mask the bigger problems just as they did in March, 2015. Will still be near the top of the league come Thanksgiving.
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rock/92214230/

Delaware obviously didn't wait until the end of the season to make changes.
              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                So what this is really saying - if you are the team controlling the puck and a player from the OPPOSING team goes down with an injury, play continues essentially giving your team a "free powerplay" until the opposing team gains control of the puck. And I guess that it wasn't obvious to the officials that Blackburn lying prone on the ice wasn't enough to stop the play. Equally incredulous was a normally-vocal Umile not even challenging the call with refs. Wow.

But....you're right, UNH should have never put themselves in this position to begin with . It's going to be REAL interesting to see which UNH team shows up this afternoon...........
                It says both that it is not going to take a scoring opportunity away from either team... if Blackburn had gotten decked making a pass that sent a UNH guy in on a breakaway, they would not have blown it down either...

Just watched the video of the goal... 7 seconds from the time he got hurt to puck in the back of the net... And I can understand a ref not blowing things down... How many guys get seriously injured on a faceoff? I also believe that they view "serious injury" as in need of immediate medical attention (ex. cut with a skate, headfirst into boards, down and not moving, etc.)...

but to your second point about not being in that position, the first ASU goal was an atrocious decision by the defenseman to slide over to the puck carrier, leaving the man in front that scored wide open... what makes it so atrocious was that the guy who passed it was on his backhand and at a tight angle... you leave that guy to your goaltender and expect him to make the save.

On ASU's third goal, the defenseman (#15) had no business stepping up to try to pick that pass off... he tried and got walked around... meanwhile the weak side defenseman left his man opening up the rebound goal... those are breakdowns in fundamentals, imo....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  It would be extremely rare to see a guy with Coach Umile's tenure and history to be asked to walk the plank in midseason. Based on past history, I guess you'd have to exchange expletives with an insubordinate, underperforming player, and literally force that player's butt onto the bench to get the hook in midseason at UNH. Say what you will about the guy, but I don't see that happening with Coach Umile.
                  I'm trying to recall a time when ANY DI hockey coach was replaced midseason and am coming up empty....

Comment

Not going to happen, nor should it. He is a legend, and for as much as he has led them to the cliff, he has earned the right to try and find a place for the car to crash land while over the cliff.

To answer the question, mostly when NCAA violations come up:

03 Clarkson: Mark Morris/Fred Parker
                    01 Mich Tech: Tim Watters/Mike Sertich
                    95 Ohio State/ Jerry Welch/John Markell
                    91 Lowell: Bill Riley/Bruce Crowder
                    86 Ferris: Dick Bertrand/Pete Easdale
                    83 LSSU: Bill Selman/Frank Anzalone
                    81 Michigan" Wilf Martin/John Giordano
                    79 St.Lawrence: Leon Abbott/Dale Henwood
                    74 Brown: Alan Soares/Dick Toomey
                    BU Leon Abbott/Jack Parker
                    71 Minn: Roy Somnor/Ken Yackel
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• [QUOTE=gscott13;6393109 but to your second point about not being in that position, the first ASU goal was an atrocious decision by the defenseman to slide over to the puck carrier, leaving the man in front that scored wide open... what makes it so atrocious was that the guy who passed it was on his backhand and at a tight angle... you leave that guy to your goaltender and expect him to make the save.

On ASU's third goal, the defenseman (#15) had no business stepping up to try to pick that pass off... he tried and got walked around... meanwhile the weak side defenseman left his man opening up the rebound goal... those are breakdowns in fundamentals, imo....[/QUOTE]

Thank you for stating the obvious. Except for Wyse and Maller, UNH has no defensemen who know what the heck they are doing out there. I find the play in the third period most egregious. You've got a two goal lead with 10 minutes to go. The job going forward should be to keep ASU's forwards out of the prime shooting areas. But instead,,what do they do but continually challenge the puck carrier and the forwards blow by them. ASU had way too many Grade A chances all game long. If they could shoot they might have blown UNH out.

Look,,the team is not very good. We've got a few guys who shouldn't even being playing D1 hockey, some more guys who plateaued remarkably early in their college careers, and a few freshmen and sophomores who deserve our patience. I don't know what others expected but, coming into the season, I really didn't see anybody on this team who would be elevating his game and making the players around him better. Just recent history,,there are no Butlers, Thompsons, Downings, or Goumases on this team.

We're going to tread water for a years until,,hopefully, Souza and whoever bring in better talent. If that doesn't happen.,best to retrofit the Whit for basketball and let them cheat their way to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Agree that this is a big lose. No one mentioned that we switched the 2nd and 3 lines last night. Do not think that had anything to do with the outcome. The observations on the d are appropriate and appear to be part of player and coaching issues.
                        With LB out, I see the former 2nd line back their this afternoon with 25 centering. FC will probably be the coaches choice for the freshman line that will be moved back to being the 3rd line. I have to agree that the entire team did look tired, the whole game. How can you look past a real opportunity for a win? This was not the team that played BC on Tuesday as they were not able to get the puck out of their end and had very little offensive zone time. Playing a competitive 4th line is key when you do not really have 3 strong/effective lines rolling but you can provide a high energy 4th.
                        So here are my lines for today.
                        10 11 16
                        7 25 20
                        12 9 17
                        8 14 13
                        And rotate your 4th line center

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          And do what? Let's give the Coaches a chance to see what they can do, rather than rushing the next decision. If Mike was promised a three year run to prove himself before a decision, he should be afforded that.
                          Yes. What could it possibly hurt to move on? The ship has sunk and is resting on the bottom of the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
                            Yes. What could it possibly hurt to move on?
                            18 more months to see if Mike Souza can coach or recruit?

The ship has sunk and is resting on the bottom of the ocean.
                            Ah, Micheal Ray Richardson.
                            "The ship be sinking. Reporter: How far can it sink? Richardson: Sky's the limit. "
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Nice goal by McNich on the PP. 1-0 after 1
                              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Thank you for stating the obvious. Except for Wyse and Maller, UNH has no defensemen who know what the heck they are doing out there.
                                I notice you didn't mention Cleland. He is the best D, as he manages to get the puck out of the end, while neither Wyse or Maller excel (or are above average) at this. I remember hearing Souza believes we need to get bigger out there,and out-physical them. I am more often reminded of this David Tippett comments
                                Tippett's hockey thoughts start coming out. He talks about an unnamed defenseman from his days in Juniors. This paragraph really sticks out when you look at it closely, and in the context of how the current Stars roster is constructed:

"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."
                                Tippett is describing the impact of offensive zone possession time on the results that occur when a given player is on the ice. Player A can be a good defender, but if he is constantly defending instead of carrying the attack away from his net he is endangering the results of the team as a whole. Another implication of his statements is the value of defensemen with the ability to move the puck effectively.
                                I can guess Dick's thoughts on such statistical analysis, but would be interested to hear Mike Souza's.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...recruiting-war

Competition in the college ranks begins long before teams hit the ice. The initial battles are fought in the increasingly-competitive recruiting war.
                                There has never been a more competitive time to attract talent in the NCAA. Arizona State and Penn State have added big-name status to a field of 60 Div. I schools, while the CHL constantly threatens to pull a hot young talent over to major junior.
                                So recruiting isn’t just a big part of the job now for college coaches – it’s a constant job.
                                “You’re recruiting every day, to be honest,” said Denver coach Jim Montgomery. “If you’re not making a phone call, you’re at least thinking about it.”
                                Montgomery estimated he’s on the road 15 percent of the season, while his assistant coaches are on planes or in rental cars as much as 40 percent of the time. Michigan Tech coach Mel Pearson said that even a couple weeks every summer month are dedicated to recruiting. “It’s become year-round,” Pearson said. “It’s not only your immediate class, it’s the class after that and the class after that.”
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-13-2016, 04:31 PM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X