Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Obviously they were not there, Chuck. But, Snively was packed and rockin' for that one.
    I was at the game as well. And in fact, after Bogey scored the winning goal the TV camera panned the crowd and showed my face. But I have to say, I don't remember that Snively was packed to the rafters. I have a DVD converted from tape of that game. I'll have to look at it and report back.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
      Was thinking about this last night after reading some post and had a couple of thoughts about the lack of enthusiasm. As been mentioned before the easy access to alternative stuff. There is so much going on and easy access to everything that a hockey game in no longer an event is another thing to do. Something to do these days isn’t always leaving your living room, more and more stuff to do at home with everything on line. Also was thinking of the students and when you think about it they all have been raised in a time when they are used to their teams winning, how many championship from New England teams in their life times? I know sounds kind of an easy answer but are they just spoiled and will not watch a losing team to build an attachment to that team and ride them till they hopefully win? See a lot of bandwagon fans these days and no one sticks with a team building. I know that is a great generality but seems to be true. Have a couple of bad years and people will move on to another team or even sport to ride a winner. Then of course there is what is happening on the ice, as we all know the beginning of the year lead to no excitement and no buzz. Hopefully some exciting game will lead to a little extra buzz. Will we see the days of the Whitt rocking and shaking again? I doubt it. Might happen if they go one some historic run and the casual fans jump on the bandwagon, and will disappear when that run is over. What we are finding out now who are the real die hards, as some one who has been a Blue Jays fan since 1982 know I will be there for the good and bad times. Here is hoping the good times are right around the corner
      Nifty16, like your take and feel that your thoughts on being spoiled by "winning teams" could certainly be a contributing factor. We are also in an era of instant gratification and a losing team or one without a compelling reason to watch is tough to get on board with if you are not a fan of the team vs just a fan of winning hockey..
      Lots to be concerned about and those who are unhappy can make a strong case for creating a different path. But I am still very excited and can't wait for a 2 game weekend at home. Was at UMass and have to say, we don't travel as well as we use to. Crowds have dropped significantly at all away games and that too is understandable. Tuesday at BC will be a very tough ride into Boston, but I wouldn't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
        Nifty16, like your take and feel that your thoughts on being spoiled by "winning teams" could certainly be a contributing factor. We are also in an era of instant gratification and a losing team or one without a compelling reason to watch is tough to get on board with if you are not a fan of the team vs just a fan of winning hockey..
        Lots to be concerned about and those who are unhappy can make a strong case for creating a different path. But I am still very excited and can't wait for a 2 game weekend at home. Was at UMass and have to say, we don't travel as well as we use to. Crowds have dropped significantly at all away games and that too is understandable. Tuesday at BC will be a very tough ride into Boston, but I wouldn't miss it.
        Much easier than the Whitt for me, so I will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          I was at the game as well. And in fact, after Bogey scored the winning goal the TV camera panned the crowd and showed my face. But I have to say, I don't remember that Snively was packed to the rafters. I have a DVD converted from tape of that game. I'll have to look at it and report back.
          Save yourself the search, Greg. We walked up (a short line) and bought 3 tickets at the door. It was our eldest daughter's first game and she was 4 yrs. old at the time (she's married and will be 27 next month ). Decent crowd but not a sellout (at least I'd be shocked to find out otherwise). Probably the typical "Spring break" opening weekend of the HE playoffs thing we've seen so often. But raucous it was. UNH was behind for most of the game, eventually came back to take the lead, and I'm pretty sure BC scored fairly late to force it into OT.

In retrospect ... not only was it the last game at Snively ... it was also Steve "Count" Cedorchuk's last game behind the BC bench. Too bad he couldn't have stuck around the BC program for a few more seasons. Good times ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Save yourself the search, Greg. We walked up (a short line) and bought 3 tickets at the door. It was our eldest daughter's first game and she was 4 yrs. old at the time (she's married and will be 27 next month ). Decent crowd but not a sellout (at least I'd be shocked to find out otherwise). Probably the typical "Spring break" opening weekend of the HE playoffs thing we've seen so often. But raucous it was. UNH was behind for most of the game, eventually came back to take the lead, and I'm pretty sure BC scored fairly late to force it into OT.

In retrospect ... not only was it the last game at Snively ... it was also Steve "Count" Cedorchuk's last game behind the BC bench. Too bad he couldn't have stuck around the BC program for a few more seasons. Good times ...
            Great story, Chuck. But, awwww,....., Greg is always looking for a reason to view that DVD again. I know that I would be. :-) I drove down from Orono for that game.

Comment

If the 'Cubbies can do it....
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                If the 'Cubbies can do it....
                ... by good management, so can any team that has good management.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  ... by good management, so can any team that has good management.
                  Well, that was nice while it lasted ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Great story, Chuck. But, awwww,....., Greg is always looking for a reason to view that DVD again. I know that I would be. :-) I drove down from Orono for that game.
                    Watched the goal. Just as I remembered. Great outlet pass from Tim Murray, Bogey comes down the left wing, cuts to the middle and scores. One fan, behind the net jumping up and down, a fan who I found out later was Mr. Boguniecki, the father. The arena, which on TV (or maybe it was the DVD) was pretty dark but it looked about half full. So I whipped out my 1994-1995 Media Guide which had the game wrap ups from the year before and, lo and behold, the attendance was 2,795. So Chuck, you and I were right. The game was on March 12, a Sunday I think, probably during spring break.

Btw, and no surprise, Eric Boguniecki was one of the more dynamic players UNH has ever had, on and off the ice. Always remember the Hockey Banquet at the end of his senior year in 1997. After the festivities were over, he walks out of the New England Center with his parents, with a whole bunch of kids trailing behind shouting his name. He turned around, gave them all a small pep talk, got into the car, rolled down the window and waved to his adoring masses as he drove out of Durham for the last time. Actually, he still was in Durham getting ready for graduation, but I couldn't resist a bit of hyperbole.

Comment

Bogey was the greatest. No slight on Coach Souza, but I'd love to have seen a dynamic personality like Bogey re-energizing the UNH program. Might still happen, as I believe Bogey's an assistant coach in Bridgeport these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Watched the goal. Just as I remembered. Great outlet pass from Tim Murray, Bogey comes down the left wing, cuts to the middle and scores. One fan, behind the net jumping up and down, a fan who I found out later was Mr. Boguniecki, the father. The arena, which on TV (or maybe it was the DVD) was pretty dark but it looked about half full. So I whipped out my 1994-1995 Media Guide which had the game wrap ups from the year before and, lo and behold, the attendance was 2,795. So Chuck, you and I were right. The game was on March 12, a Sunday I think, probably during spring break.

Btw, and no surprise, Eric Boguniecki was one of the more dynamic players UNH has ever had, on and off the ice. Always remember the Hockey Banquet at the end of his senior year in 1997. After the festivities were over, he walks out of the New England Center with his parents, with a whole bunch of kids trailing behind shouting his name. He turned around, gave them all a small pep talk, got into the car, rolled down the window and waved to his adoring masses as he drove out of Durham for the last time. Actually, he still was in Durham getting ready for graduation, but I couldn't resist a bit of hyperbole.
                        Sounds more like 80%, rather half full, to me, but I recall that most of those fans stayed right to the end, despite the OTs. Not bad for spring break, but then again, we knew that the game would be our farewell to Lively Snively. I recall that most of us were standing up almost the entire OTs. Great story about Bogey's old man, and Bogey's departure from campus later that spring. He really set the stage for the next six years of UNH prominence in the post-season.

Absolutely correct Chuck, about Bogey being just down the road as an assistant coach for the AHL Bridgeport Sound Tigers, where he has begun his sixth season. But, more important for his coaching career, I think, is that he has played at all levels, including a fine 2002-2003 season for the St. Louis Blues in which he was in 80 games, scored 22 goals and 27 assists, was a +22 on the season, and took 84 penalty minutes. The guy played much larger than his 5'8'' height.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 11-03-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

http://unhwildcats.com/news/2016/11/...rday-7-pm.aspx

First evah meeting between UNH and Sacred Heart on Friday night, and only second all time against Mercyhurst (UNH won 5-4 on 23 October 2004). Mercyhurst coach Rick Gotkin second all time in number years coaching for same team, beginning his 29th season. Who are first and third?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            http://unhwildcats.com/news/2016/11/...rday-7-pm.aspx

First evah meeting between UNH and Sacred Heart on Friday night, and only second all time against Mercyhurst (UNH won 5-4 on 23 October 2004). Mercyhurst coach Rick Gotkin second all time in number years coaching for same team, beginning his 29th season. Who are first and third?
                            1 - Red
                            Close Behind - Bob Daniels
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              1 - Red
                              Close Behind - Bob Daniels
                              Yes on Red Berenson, but no mention of Bob Daniels in article, rather our own DU in third behind Rick Gotkin.

Sadly, I cannot make either of the "cupcake" games this weekend, but will be at Conte on Tuesday and back at the Whitt for AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I was at this game .... why I was standing behind the fencing at the "restroom" end of the arena I don't remember. Hope John Conroy was able to hitch a ride back to Newmarket after his organ gig. Who was he .... they ask?

Comment

Working...
                                X