Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

A little more insight into the hot start by Patrick Grasso:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016...uccaneers-ushl
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      And in retrospect, I've found it highly ironic that when our beloved AD cracked down on the long-standing crowd chants for not being of the PC "family friendly" variety AND began to have editorial control over the playlist - not to mention having the band playing over the crowd chants at the opposing starting line-up - it all hinted at overprotecting a "family" market at The Whitt that the program and its AD have since done very very little to market itself to and pursue.
      I only have one thing to say to Marty, the administration and the marketing team for what they've done to kill the atmosphere inside the Whitt, stall any excitement or momentum around UNH hockey and their complete failure to create any successful promotional activity of the program...

*clap* you suck
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

I do not think it just the Whitt that has seen attendance drop over the past decade. The alum fan bases are getting older, but also important is that students on most campuses have lost interest over the past decade, hence the alum fan bases are decreasing from both ends. If you do a search, you can find Sean Pickett's USCHO attendance data, but I think that these numbers are based on tickets sold (ex., corporate tax write-offs for tickets that do not get used), rather than bodies in the seats.

Here are the USCHO attendance data for HEA home rinks this past weekend; many of these would have been sell outs a decade ago, but now many are less than half capacity.

Th, 27 Oct, Compton (NICC) 2936 (UConn)
        Fri, 28 Oct, Mullin 2465 (UNH), Compton 4065 (UConn), Conte 5019 (PC), Gutt 4007 (Mich)
        Sat, 29 Oct, Mullin 3016 (BC), Whitt 3502 (Mac, but there is no way that there were more than 2500 in attendance)
        Sun, 30 Oct, Matthews 1568 (UVM)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I do not think it just the Whitt that has seen attendance drop over the past decade. The alum fan bases are getting older, but also important is that students on most campuses have lost interest over the past decade, hence the alum fan bases are decreasing from both ends. If you do a search, you can find Sean Pickett's USCHO attendance data, but I think that these numbers are based on tickets sold (ex., corporate tax write-offs for tickets that do not get used), rather than bodies in the seats.

Here are the USCHO attendance data for HEA home rinks this past weekend; many of these would have been sell outs a decade ago, but now many are less than half capacity.

Th, 27 Oct, Compton (NICC) 2936 (UConn)
          Fri, 28 Oct, Mullin 2465 (UNH), Compton 4065 (UConn), Conte 5019 (PC), Gutt 4007 (Mich)
          Sat, 29 Oct, Mullin 3016 (BC), Whitt 3502 (Mac, but there is no way that there were more than 2500 in attendance)
          Sun, 30 Oct, Matthews 1568 (UVM)
          I agree that numbers are down around NCAA hockey - Minnesota fans have complained loudly recently about lack of attendance. Denver doesn't draw well at all!

But, none of the games or venues listed above have ever drawn consistently except UNH and UVM. Notre Dame hockey is an after thought out there and they've never drawn.

Regardless, what other schools don't draw is irrelevant to my feelings on this issue. In terms of atmosphere, The Whitt used to be on par with Yost, Lynah and that racist, nazi monument out in ND.

That atmosphere has been completely killed after many miscalculations and mistakes by the athletic department. They need to make many changes and concessions ASAP in an effort to improve the environment.

Additionally, the fans who do go should get off their asses and actually wave their fingers after goals (when I went last year I was astonished at the near extinction of this tradition), actually where white when your asked to and chant U-N-H once in a while (a chant that used to echo around the building every couple minutes is now rarely heard - also RIP beat em, smash em). The fan involvement or commitment is so far removed from its hey day.

I remember vividly a Whittemore Center so loud it willed the team to goals and victories consistently. If a recruit came to a game in that environment they often commited on the spot - imagine the different perception a recruit would get today. It's a huge problem...
          Last edited by Dan; 11-01-2016, 01:26 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            A little more insight into the hot start by Patrick Grasso:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016...uccaneers-ushl
            Nice to read some positive outside press for UNH hockey...
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

A few thoughts from a season ticket holder of 15+ years, have lost track now.

There is major misses by the administration. First keep changing the system they use and confusing people. I have a friend who wanted to get season tickets this season, they had them before and didn’t get them last year as they knew they would miss a lot of games. Went to do it this year and could never get what they want as they were told seats they wanted were not available, looking for end seats near center ice which are empty every game. They have emails, called and even talked to them in person and keep getting the run around. So they have been buying tickets as they go. They tried to get seats where I sit in 110, but those ends are always “not available” which is bogus as I usually get rows to myself. Need to open those up more as they are cheaper and gets more families in.

The student involvement has been down. I really can’t give reasons, does the Admin do anything to promote it on campus or is it just no one cares? But do believe that is something that should be addressed. The lack of student enthusiasm does spill over to the rest of the crowd. I will admit it does affect me, if they are in to and loud it gets me into it.

Then there is pricing. I have not seen any deals this year to get people in. As a season ticket holder I know those don’t help me, but if it gets people in the doors I don’t have a problem with it. My season tickets in my end are reasonably priced, after many years of not being. So lets get more people in the door.

I know everything that has been addressed before but my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I agree that numbers are down around NCAA hockey - Minnesota fans have complained loudly recently about lack of attendance. Denver doesn't draw well at all!

But, none of the games or venues listed above have ever drawn consistently except UNH and UVM. Notre Dame hockey is an after thought out there and they've never drawn.

Regardless, what other schools don't draw is irrelevant to my feelings on this issue. In terms of atmosphere, The Whitt used to be on par with Yost, Lynah and that racist, nazi monument out in ND.

That atmosphere has been completely killed after many miscalculations and mistakes by the athletic department. They need to make many changes and concessions ASAP in an effort to improve the environment.

Additionally, the fans who do go should get off their asses and actually wave their fingers after goals (when I went last year I was astonished at the near extinction of this tradition), actually where white when your asked to and chant U-N-H once in a while (a chant that used to echo around the building every couple minutes is now rarely heard - also RIP beat em, smash em). The fan involvement or commitment is so far removed from its hey day.

I remember vividly a Whittemore Center so loud it willed the team to goals and victories consistently. If a recruit came to a game in that environment they often commited on the spot - imagine the different perception a recruit would get today. It's a huge problem...
                We still do the finger wave after goals...not everyone in the arena but it is still a fixture along with the sieve cheer....We sit with a group of former students who do what they can to keep the few cheers that are done along with the 'Cat Pack who try to lead the student section. Its definitely a fairly contained thing and not "arena wide" but looking around the other night I did notice people doing the "wave". The Center ice gang is fairly subdued 😉 Of course it's not like it used to be but then again neither is the level of hockey that's being offered at the present time. UNH is a footbal school now...I mean isn't it obvious? Just echoing what I read around these parts.

I guess if one wants raucous and rowdy head over the Conte...it never stops!! (And I'm not saying that's a bad thing either)
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I think that Snively's seating capacity was 3500 for hockey, expanded to 4500 for a Phish concert in 1994 before conversion. But, the Quonset-hut style played much louder than nearly double the capacity at the Whitt. I doubt that there were more than 2500 bodies in seats at the Mac game on Saturday night, so that pretty much is what Chuck suggests. However, I think that the lack of attendance is not simply alums dying off or bailing on a lousy product on the ice, but also much less interest by students in evening activities beyond their dorm rooms. From when the Whitt opened in 1995 through the glory years in the early 2000's, students filled both ends of the arena, close to 2000 seats. In contrast, on Saturday night there were probably fewer than 300 students, including the band. Yet, without them, the place would be as quiet as a morgue.
                  I know it was a typo but Snively 65 knows that Snively opened in February 1965. My long time theory surrounding the mania at Snively during the early days, through the early 80's really, was the lack of alternative entertainment in Durham back then. Fewer kids had cars back then, there was no internet, there were no cell phones, in fact there was no cable TV. You could enjoy yourself, especially on the weekends, but for a lot,of students, weekend nights got,off to a rousing start with a visit to Lively Snively.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    I know it was a typo but Snively 65 knows that Snively opened in February 1965. My long time theory surrounding the mania at Snively during the early days, through the early 80's really, was the lack of alternative entertainment in Durham back then. Fewer kids had cars back then, there was no internet, there were no cell phones, in fact there was no cable TV. You could enjoy yourself, especially on the weekends, but for a lot,of students, weekend nights got,off to a rousing start with a visit to Lively Snively.
                    Totally agree with this assessment. The student section has been down all season. It was actually very solid last year and loud, so I'm not sure what has diminished the attendance so far.
                    Snivley was just a totally different venue. What really got the crowd going was the ability to just SIT and stamp their feet and make the building rattle. it was so easy to make an incredible racket and the rest can then just come naturally. As others have noted, the old crowd now attending just can't raise the rafters at the Whitt. The crowd estimates are reasonably accurate with the MC game being an embarrassment. I am always surprised in how long it does take to fill the seats with the final crowd. Yes it is more difficult to get there on Friday but I look up from ice level at about 10 minutes before the start and can not believe how few are in there seats. At about 7:20 you kind of have the crowd you will have.
                    Bottom line, the promotions of the live game is what stinks. The channel 11 games of old where good because it was often the only way to see a game. But now between Bin and NESN you can see a lot of games, streaming is big and now you can stream for free. With all of these alternatives available, it is clear to me why we are not getting the casual fan to race home, put on their winter clothes and head out.
                    Headlines in the sports pages are not worded in ways that get a lukewarm audience in the building.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      We still do the finger wave after goals...not everyone in the arena but it is still a fixture along with the sieve cheer....We sit with a group of former students who do what they can to keep the few cheers that are done along with the 'Cat Pack who try to lead the student section. Its definitely a fairly contained thing and not "arena wide" but looking around the other night I did notice people doing the "wave". The Center ice gang is fairly subdued 😉 Of course it's not like it used to be but then again neither is the level of hockey that's being offered at the present time. UNH is a footbal school now...I mean isn't it obvious? Just echoing what I read around these parts.

I guess if one wants raucous and rowdy head over the Conte...it never stops!! (And I'm not saying that's a bad thing either)
                      Finger wave, you su&k chant, siddown bit&h chant, orgy chant, ExLax chant, Unnnnhhhh chant, etc., still happening. Without band interference. But also without much participation from the non-students, save for those of us willing to look a little foolish. I do hold back on the language if surrounded by little kids - that's not too much to ask.

With regards to attendance - I had a little,time on my hands and did a quick correlation analysis on attendance since 2001, and the corresponding win percentages. Correlation of .73. More interestingly, even stronger correlation to the PREVIOUS year's win percentage, at .76.

To paraphrase a slick politician... In the end, it's the PRODUCT, stupid. You can see the steady decline over the years, with a more pronounced drop-off in the last few years. As the product has suffered.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Nailed it. Even in the horrid late 80's/early 90's, we very much looked forward to being in the barn.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          I was just remarking that the Phish concert was in 1994, the last year that Snively was Snively. And, of course, we have written ad nauseam on our threads about who scored the last goal at Snively; I was there right to the end and always thought that it was Bogie, but others have said no.

But, I agree entirely with your other points, Greg, which I was trying to say in my earlier posts above; these modern distractions to student attendance at college hockey games are not unique to the Whitt, and alum fan bases are sadly undergoing attrition at both ends of the age spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I was just remarking that the Phish concert was in 1994, the last year that Snively was Snively. And, of course, we have written ad nauseam on our threads about who scored the last goal at Snively; I was there right to the end and always thought that it was Bogie, but others have said no.
                            As someone who was also there for that epic HE quarterfinal double OT victory over BC yes, it was Boguniecki (nicely assisted by Tim Murray). I never realized there was even a question about it?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              As someone who was also there for that epic HE quarterfinal double OT victory over BC yes, it was Boguniecki (nicely assisted by Tim Murray). I never realized there was even a question about it?
                              Obviously they were not there, Chuck. But, Snively was packed and rockin' for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Totally agree with this assessment. The student section has been down all season. It was actually very solid last year and loud, so I'm not sure what has diminished the attendance so far.
                                Snivley was just a totally different venue. What really got the crowd going was the ability to just SIT and stamp their feet and make the building rattle. it was so easy to make an incredible racket and the rest can then just come naturally. As others have noted, the old crowd now attending just can't raise the rafters at the Whitt. The crowd estimates are reasonably accurate with the MC game being an embarrassment. I am always surprised in how long it does take to fill the seats with the final crowd. Yes it is more difficult to get there on Friday but I look up from ice level at about 10 minutes before the start and can not believe how few are in there seats. At about 7:20 you kind of have the crowd you will have.
                                Bottom line, the promotions of the live game is what stinks. The channel 11 games of old where good because it was often the only way to see a game. But now between Bin and NESN you can see a lot of games, streaming is big and now you can stream for free. With all of these alternatives available, it is clear to me why we are not getting the casual fan to race home, put on their winter clothes and head out.
                                Headlines in the sports pages are not worded in ways that get a lukewarm audience in the building.
                                Was thinking about this last night after reading some post and had a couple of thoughts about the lack of enthusiasm. As been mentioned before the easy access to alternative stuff. There is so much going on and easy access to everything that a hockey game in no longer an event is another thing to do. Something to do these days isn’t always leaving your living room, more and more stuff to do at home with everything on line. Also was thinking of the students and when you think about it they all have been raised in a time when they are used to their teams winning, how many championship from New England teams in their life times? I know sounds kind of an easy answer but are they just spoiled and will not watch a losing team to build an attachment to that team and ride them till they hopefully win? See a lot of bandwagon fans these days and no one sticks with a team building. I know that is a great generality but seems to be true. Have a couple of bad years and people will move on to another team or even sport to ride a winner. Then of course there is what is happening on the ice, as we all know the beginning of the year lead to no excitement and no buzz. Hopefully some exciting game will lead to a little extra buzz. Will we see the days of the Whitt rocking and shaking again? I doubt it. Might happen if they go one some historic run and the casual fans jump on the bandwagon, and will disappear when that run is over. What we are finding out now who are the real die hards, as some one who has been a Blue Jays fan since 1982 know I will be there for the good and bad times. Here is hoping the good times are right around the corner

Comment

Working...
                                X