Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    If DU has had any say in this process - and I think most of us believe he has, courtesy of the "negotiations" that got him off his lifetime contract at last - it's pretty disappointing and selfish of him if he's not allowing MS to gradually introduce some tweaks to the program during the three year run-up. It's not like they're coaching a Top Ten program at this point, or even threatening to enter the polls or generate a tourney-worthy PWR. So the methodology can't be viewed and treated like it's untouchable ... yet apparently it is?

I've had a lot of contrasting takes on DU over the years ... but DU as a coaching diva? Now that's a first ...
    It’s funny that it seems we, or at least I, are learning new things about DU after all these years.
    • I knew he had a lifetime contract but I didn’t think he was taking that literally. As in he was coach until he actually died, no matter when that might be. Seems like maybe that was where he wanted to take this.
    • Someone earlier mentioned that DU seems to be intent on giving the program back in the same condition he found it. After all we’ve heard about how he bleeds blue and all that, to even entertain that thought is odd. I still find it hard to believe, but not unbelievable. He might just be bitter or vindictive enough to do that.
    • Not allowing MS to make any tweaks is completely unsurprising but it does just further prove we were right to be concerned by his inflexibility back in the day. Not adjusting his recruiting or coaching philosophies, or his personal style of interaction with the players, or adjusting for specific opponents, or specific game situations. Just a completely rigid, there is only one way to do things mindset that has probably been his biggest shortcoming as a coach over the years. He’s clearly going to ride that right into the ground.
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Merrimack: Two wins were against winless Colgate; lost at Clarkson and uber-cupcake Sacred Heart at home
      UMass: Split with Colorado College at home, other win against uber-cupcake Army 3-2 at home

Yup, they're still very beatable cupcake opponents. Time for UNH to get their hangry on!!

P.S. to Dan - the following was clever. Ironically, I've gotta pick up a rental later this morning, and I'll report back if there is a DU sighting at the local Enterprise branch

... Dick seems dead set on returning the program in the same manner in which he found it. It's a hockey program Dick, not a rental car...
      But, UMass at least split with 4C, whereas we lost to 4C in the game that I saw last Saturday night. And, last night UMass almost took down last year's NCAA Runner Up.

And, last night Mac tied last year's FF team BC.

UNH will need to score within the first couple of shifts in both games this weekend, as otherwise the Cats will be skating in a world of hurt against these former cupcakes.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
        It’s funny that it seems we, or at least I, are learning new things about DU after all these years.
        • I knew he had a lifetime contract but I didn’t think he was taking that literally. As in he was coach until he actually died, no matter when that might be. Seems like maybe that was where he wanted to take this.
        • Someone earlier mentioned that DU seems to be intent on giving the program back in the same condition he found it. After all we’ve heard about how he bleeds blue and all that, to even entertain that thought is odd. I still find it hard to believe, but not unbelievable. He might just be bitter or vindictive enough to do that.
        • Not allowing MS to make any tweaks is completely unsurprising but it does just further prove we were right to be concerned by his inflexibility back in the day. Not adjusting his recruiting or coaching philosophies, or his personal style of interaction with the players, or adjusting for specific opponents, or specific game situations. Just a completely rigid, there is only one way to do things mindset that has probably been his biggest shortcoming as a coach over the years. He’s clearly going to ride that right into the ground.
        Sort of an extension of that last point.

The guy seems to have no feel whatsoever for context or cause and effect. MS wants to make some tweaks. He's the anointed successor, you're on the way out, and the team is awful. Why not? Just simply, why not? Again with the rigidity and inflexibility for no reason and based on nothing positive your set ways are giving you.

Who knows what the tweaks are, maybe it's something crazy like picking the lines out of a hat. But what if it's something like moving practices to 7:00 PM to better replicate game conditions? But DU doesn't want to do it because it cuts into his me time in downtown Portsmouth? Who knows, but my guess is it's reasonable enough to be worth a try.

But no. Just no.
        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
          I wonder whether he has fully formed a sense of his independent vision for the future. Hopefully the adolescent rebellion hinted at in the past posts show some growth of a vision of the future he can sell -- I could imagine showing a recruit around while interjecting about the good old days (often before the recruit was born) is not what the recruit cares about. Who are you Mike Souza; do you have a drive to win that I think you can bring in lots of other talented kids with me to showcase my skills to the pros? Stop yammering about the glory days Grandpa and you shared in 1999.
          I guess we're back to psychoanalyzing Umile and Souza again. Mike Souza graduated from UNH in 2000, which means he is probably 36 years old. He has played professional hockey in the US and Europe and has been an assistant coach at two Division 1 programs. And, btw, he's married with a couple of kids. But here we are mocking the guy, implying that he is tied to that ogre Dick Umile's figurative apron strings and does not have the gumption to say boo while the master is still around. All I can say is that at least the discussion has advanced to the point where we no longer assume that Umile is Souza's uncle. And, btw, just about every college athletic program highlights the history of the sport at their school. I see nothing wrong with bringing to the attention of a recruit that there was once a time when UNH Hockey was not only relevant nationwide but right on the campus in Durham. And that the goal is to bring that kind of glory back to the school. Better to have something to talk about than nothing at all.

And btw Dan, if Tyler Kelleher had played in the late nineties or early aughts, to reach the point totals you envision he would have to give up the puck once in awhile. A great player plays to make those around him better.

Comment

• Greg
            I'm not sure I'm wrong but it isn't worth bogging this down with my thoughts so I'll delete them. Save those for the cocktail parties if I find any UNH fans -- my wife's side of the family is BC and Notre Dame.
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              And btw Dan, if Tyler Kelleher had played in the late nineties or early aughts, to reach the point totals you envision he would have to give up the puck once in awhile. A great player plays to make those around him better.
              I can't say I've thought this to be an issue over the course of his career - he has a chance to finish his career with 100+ assists and in the top ten all-time at UNH.

Is this something you've always seen in Kelleher or has it become more of an issue this year - trying to do too much while playing with an offensively limited Salvaggio and a still relatively inexperienced Nazarian??
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I can't say I've thought this to be an issue over the course of his career - he has a chance to finish his career with 100+ assists and in the top ten all-time at UNH.

Is this something you've always seen in Kelleher or has it become more of an issue this year - trying to do too much while playing with an offensively limited Salvaggio and a still relatively inexperienced Nazarian??
                Exactly. Salvaggio and Nazarian need to get themselves open to make Tyk great with assists again. Spread out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBcIWhEUbPY

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                  Sort of an extension of that last point.

The guy seems to have no feel whatsoever for context or cause and effect. MS wants to make some tweaks. He's the anointed successor, you're on the way out, and the team is awful. Why not? Just simply, why not? Again with the rigidity and inflexibility for no reason and based on nothing positive your set ways are giving you.

Who knows what the tweaks are, maybe it's something crazy like picking the lines out of a hat. But what if it's something like moving practices to 7:00 PM to better replicate game conditions? But DU doesn't want to do it because it cuts into his me time in downtown Portsmouth? Who knows, but my guess is it's reasonable enough to be worth a try.

But no. Just no.
                  OK so now this is getting weird. After Dan's comments earlier, I was expecting to see DU at the local rental car branch (no luck BTW). Now I've gotta look out for DU on weekday evenings in Portsmouth? I mean, I'm outta town for a couple of days, so it's not like I'll bump into him any time soon ... but I thought Molly Malone's closed about a decade ago, and assumed DU had moved on to a new watering hole out of town, or down in Melrose. So ... DU at RiRa's catching up on Champions League footy? The Coat of Arms?? The Thirsty Moose???

Inquiring minds need to know ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Exactly. Salvaggio and Nazarian need to get themselves open to make Tyk great with assists again. Spread out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBcIWhEUbPY
                    Not sure how this all got started. TK is a legit UNH star, period. Was Williams better than..... Bottom line, it is all about who you play with. I believe that this line has suffered from something that no one is talking about. The 2016 YEAR of the PENALTY! We have not played a game (nor has anyone else) where at least 30+/- minutes have not been special team "ice time". What does this do - it means that you are juggling most of your better players around to have the best PP or Pk that you can have. And when they are over it often takes 2 or 3 shifts to get the rotation back. My point is that this line, and the others, have not had the benefit of the amount of paying time that might produce better chemistry.
                    This is not a deep team nor a typical junior/senior led team. It may not be pretty but it will improve and I'm going to all the game regardless. And perhaps you are not, and that is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      Not sure how this all got started. TK is a legit UNH star, period. Was Williams better than..... Bottom line, it is all about who you play with. I believe that this line has suffered from something that no one is talking about. The 2016 YEAR of the PENALTY! We have not played a game (nor has anyone else) where at least 30+/- minutes have not been special team "ice time". What does this do - it means that you are juggling most of your better players around to have the best PP or Pk that you can have. And when they are over it often takes 2 or 3 shifts to get the rotation back. My point is that this line, and the others, have not had the benefit of the amount of paying time that might produce better chemistry.
                      This is not a deep team nor a typical junior/senior led team. It may not be pretty but it will improve and I'm going to all the game regardless. And perhaps you are not, and that is okay.
                      Guilty as charged...I suggested that TyK was one of the "UNH greats" and said his name in the same sentence as other UNH greats....which stimulated some spirited convo. Interesting perspective on the penalties...seems like a hot topic all over the place. (USCHO cover story as we speak regarding HE penalties leading to short hand goals of which we are all too aware). Like you, I feel it will improve; hopefully this weekend!
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        I am 2 for 2 for home games so far (I did not make the pre-season goon hockey game). I would have traveled to North Country New York, but had a conference conflict that weekend. I go to as many games as I can, but Friday games at the Whitt are nearly impossible for me, as the commute takes more than 3 hours one way.

Comment

Penalties have been an issue in the past ... interesting point, but I'm not sure I'd get too excited about their impact this season vis a vis other seasons. Besides, we've got a guy running the show who's been doing this for over 25 years, he'll know what to do, and how to balance his lines and get the best out of his team, he's gotta know how to do it after all this time, right ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

If you haven't read it already:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...70/-1/sports22

Glad to know Vela is back...but seems doubtful Clarky gets a start....

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              If you haven't read it already:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...70/-1/sports22

Glad to know Vela is back...
                              And skating with Vela and Eiserman!!! It's the little victories these days...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                And skating with McNick and Eiserman!!! It's the little victories these days...
                                Fixed your post Yes!!! This is a good thing..

Comment

Working...
                                X