Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

"UNH Finds the Win Column for the First Time"
    by Ben Nawn
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
      The Flyers are one of the 3 teams in the league that continually let their history and "culture" sabotage their present. Montreal does it with their obsession with French-Canadian players and coaches and Philly and Boston do it with their obsession with "toughness", and how a player today would have fit in with their teams in the '70s. "He's not a Bruins type playah. All he can do is skate and score, friggin hit someone." I can't think of another franchise in the NHL that let's their past get in the way of their present like those 3 nutcases do.
      Totally agree. Those 3 teams totally dominated the '70's - Habs with 6 Cups, and the B's and Flyers with 2 apiece. It's really amazing just how little any of those 3 franchises' mindsets have changed in the last four decades. And of those 3, I'd nominate the Canadiens as the dumbest of them all.

I mean, you can (and should) add physical toughness as a key element to a winning team, and it's out there and it's not really in limited supply. The Canadiens ... well, they're working off a script that became functionally obsolete about 50 or so years ago when the NHL abolished territorial rights, and subjected everyone to the player draft as the primary means of signing incoming stars. As a result, they will often draft a French-Canadian player higher than they should have, or (worse) overpay for a F-C player in a trade because every other GM in the league knows they can leverage the Habs to give up more "just because".

And the funny thing is it also cost them Scotty Bowman after the '79 Cup, who has since presided over the first 2 Cups in Pittsburgh, and resurrected two slumbering Original Six franchises in Detroit and now in Chicago. Although Bowman was always fluent in French, I think if his name was Serge Beaumonde, he'd never have been allowed to leave, and the 24 or so Cups they've been stuck on now for a generation would probably be at or approaching 30 instead. Dumb dumb dumb ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        JvR has a new number (25) as his old (21) was retired...FWIW dept
        To you JvR detractors: He plays for the Leafs for only 4 seasons and gets his number retired!! Don't know any one else in any sport who's accomplished that!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB View Post
          To you JvR detractors: He plays for the Leafs for only 4 seasons and gets his number retired!! Don't know any one else in any sport who's accomplished that!!
          That wouldn't be me...Oh and it wasn't his number it was a former Leaf...should have clarified! 😉
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Chuck - not only can you not ignore over a year of poor play from Tirone, but you're clearly scouting the stat line and ignoring the circumstances of Tirone's run of success. The goalies played behind two different teams that season - as consistently pointed out by myself and others, at the time!

In the first half, Stewart coached the defense and the team defensive play was a mess. The first half was plagued with turnovers and an inability to break the puck out of the zone. In the second half Umile swapped Stewart and Borek and rode the team the entire break about a commitment to team defense. The improvement in the second half play in front of the goalies was substantial and undeniable. BTW, for those of you looking forward to the Souza regime - guess who's been coaching the D the last two years...

So as much as you want that season to be definitive proof - it's not in the least. Additionally, it is an incredibly small sample size that now represents just a small part of Tirone's overall resume. As you said yourself - it was TWO springs ago. As in, he has not played consistently well in nearly TWO years.

As far as Umile - this is a coach who apparently thinks Chanter is a better center option than McNicholas, who thought the senior trio was his best line for nearly half of last season (and thought they were a shut down line for the other half), who thought MacDonald was the right fit as team captain and who were told thinks Chris Miller has the best wrist shot in Hockey East...

His personnel decision making has been impeccable the last few years! And we all know Umile would NEVER make a quick judgement of his players and stubbornly hold onto it, deferring to "his guys" while others are constantly overlooked. No way, never!

I believe Clark to be considerably better because I go to or watch every game. Despite living 2,000 miles away I probably made more games last year (6) than you have in a decade. When you watch the two play - or watch them warm up, which I always do - the choice is clear.

When the team and the defense plays well - both goalies will look good. When they play poorly neither will look great. Clark is the better goalie and by far the better option behind a shaky defense because he fills the net and forces shots to beat him. Tirone is abused on clear shots with corners picked easily, he continues to give up soft goals at the worst time (lost in his performance last night was the fact that once again, nearly one minute after UNH tied the game at two he gave it right back...) and scrambles as much as the D in front of him leaving everyone in a prone position. The amount of credit he gets on this board for scrambling to make a great save on one side of the net only for it to be tapped in on the other side is astounding...

The proof is there for you to see Chuck - all you have to do is watch the two goalies play. Umile clearly made up his mind up two years ago and hasn't budged despite everything that HS happened since. You're a smarter guy than that though, right?

I'll say it again - Tirone is DiGi. He had a great run once, but all told he is not a starting goalie at this level on many teams...
            Last edited by Dan; 10-16-2016, 05:18 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Yes, it's time ... from WIS Productions, here's the latest chapter of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 572
              Wins Remaining to the next round number: 28
              *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 69
              Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: approx. 40.5%
              WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 80%
              2016/2017 Cupcake Quotient to Date: 0/1 (0%)

After losing their "must-win" season opener at home against AHA cupcake Bentley, and getting drubbed on Friday at St. Lawrence, things were starting to look pretty grim, and some of the Wildcat faithful were thinking the unthinkable. WIS felt it was a little early to push the panic button, and predicted a road win against Clarkson in this space last weekend, which the 'Cats were able to bring home due to a late goal set up by a great defensive play on the forecheck by Jason Salvaggio, who then put it on a saucer for Tyler Kelleher for the winner. We also saw a strong bounce-back effort from G Dan Tirone, whose strong play when his teammates were on the PK through long stretches of the 3rd period may have been the key, and likely has kept him at the top of the goalie depth chart over Adam Clark, who again came up wanting in allowing 6 goals in Friday night's SLU rout in his latest shot at wresting away the top job. Probably unfair to Clark, but WIS gets the feeling that while Tirone remains #1 in Coach Umile's heart, we can expect to see Clark get another chance on the weekend after next, as the cupcake-fest begins in earnest.

WIS experts have projected Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 game stretch of the season, until the calendar changes to 2017. WIS remains bullish on this projection. There were always going to be bumps in the road, and the road win against non-cupcake Clarkson arguably makes up the lost ground squandered against the Fightin' Beancounters. Fans are most curious as to why D Dylan Chanter continues to center the 4th line (at least on the line chart) while a 5th year senior and a promising forward both appear to be AWOL ... but no one out there appears to be asking that simple question? Coach Umile's quest for the next round number remains on course, and should still be an 80% likelihood, since Coach has regularly won well over 40% of his games. And so long as this year's team meets modest expectations for 15 wins, you gotta believe BS35+4 and Coach will put together an NC schedule for next season that makes this year's NC schedule look like the highway to he11. The season should take a decided turn for the better over the next few weekends, when the parade of cupcakes begins in earnest.

Predictions:

Saturday: UNH 4 Colorado College 2

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 10/28/16 @ UMass Amherst; 10/29/16 @ home vs. Merrimack

NEW FEATURE - IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

In a word ... no. UNH Football saw its 3 game winning streak fall by the wayside to #7 JMU this weekend, but the 'Cats remain at 4-3-0 and 3 wins in their last 4 games probably gets UNH back in the D-2 tourney. And with a brand new home stadium where he doesn't have to worry about the physical safety of low level national media folks in the precarious crow's nest they used to call a "press box", you know our boy is dreaming of hosting a long run of home playoff games where he won't have to wear a disguise to avoid his formerly annoyed guests. He'll see a 1-2-0 record, shrug, and vow to get around to that "eventually". Meaning, "wake me when Football's over".

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"
              Last edited by Chuck Murray; 10-16-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                As far as Umile - this is a coach who apparently thinks Chanter is a better center option than McNicholas, who thought the senior trio was his best line for nearly half of last season (and thought they were a shut down line for the other half), who thought MacDonald was the right fit as team captain and who were told thinks Chris Miller has the best wrist shot in Hockey East...

His personnel decision making has been impeccable the last few years! And we all know Umile would NEVER make a quick judgement of his players and stubbornly hold onto it, deferring to "his guys" while others are constantly overlooked. No way, never!
                I assume that because Hill would be one of Umile's guys that McNick and Hill have bona fide excuses. I also see that he quickly realized Cefalu is not a second line winger, and swapped him out for Fregona, even though Fregona is a bit undersized and not yet at the speed of the game to create his own space.

Kudos to the coaches for getting the kids to come back from 0-2, when so many things were piling on (me included). The youngsters will get lots of experience. I think they will be OK up front, expecially when the two and Vela return. The D is still pretty weak, with no real help on the way
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  I assume that because Hill would be one of Umile's guys that McNick and Hill have bona fide excuses. I also see that he quickly realized Cefalu is not a second line winger, and swapped him out for Fregona, even though Fregona is a bit undersized and not yet at the speed of the game to create his own space.

Kudos to the coaches for getting the kids to come back from 0-2, when so many things were piling on (me included). The youngsters will get lots of experience. I think they will be OK up front, expecially when the two and Vela return. The D is still pretty weak, with no real help on the way
                  I hope you are right - if the FR line continues to grow and you paired McNick and Vela with Eiserman you might even have scoring depth. However, McNick has clearly never been a favorite of Umile's and Hill has played in just 69 games going on five years now. To me, he appears to be one of a few upperclassmen Umile has never trusted...

I'm also confused as to why he would ever think Cefalu would be a fit on the second line?
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

I think it's probably unfair to put too much focus on a single comment in a pretty decent post, so I'll just jump in and say where we agree and where I disagree. I'll let you figure out which was the shocker ...

Chuck - not only can you not ignore over a year of poor play from Tirone, but you're clearly scouting the stat line and ignoring the circumstances of Tirone's run of success. The goalies played behind two different teams that season - as consistently pointed out by myself and others. Don't necessarily disagree - always felt Clark wasn't as bad as the team's first half record, and I was surprised and disappointed he didn't play in the second half of the season - but understood the decision

In the first half, Stewart coached the defense and the team defensive play was a mess. The first half was plagued with turnovers and an inability to break the puck out of the zone. In the second half Umile swapped Stewart and Borek and rode the team the entire break about a commitment to team defense. The improvement in the second half play in front of the goalies was substantial and undeniable. BTW, for those of you looking forward to the Souza regime - guess who's been coaching the D the last two years ... Agree - frightening

So as much as you want that season to be definitive proof - it's not in the least. Additionally, it is an incredibly small sample size that now represents just a small part of Tirone's overall resume. As you said yourself - it was TWO springs ago. As in, he has not played consistently well in nearly TWO years. Again - don't necessarily disagree ... but I'm missing the part where Clark has since stepped in and "proved" himself as the solution for more than a game?

As far as Umile - this is a coach who apparently thinks Chanter is a better center option than McNicholas, who thought the senior trio was his best line for nearly half of last season (and thought they were a shut down line for the other half), who thought MacDonald was the right fit as team captain and who were told thinks Chris Miller has the best wrist shot in Hockey East ... McNicholas doesn't add up - and yeah, the Miller thing is just crazy talk

His personnel decision making has been impeccable the last few years! And we all know Umile would NEVER make a quick judgement of his players and stubbornly hold onto it, deferring to "his guys" while others are constantly overlooked. No way, never! <== I'm just adding that because I understand and again agree

I believe Clark to be considerably better because I go to or watch every game. Despite living 2,000 miles away I probably made more games last year (6) than you have in a decade. Overstatement, but fair enough When you watch the two play - or watch them warm up, which I always do - the choice is clear. That may be crazier talk than Coach's assessment of Miller's wrister

When the team and the defense plays well - both goalies will look good. When they play poorly neither will look great. Clark is the better goalie and by far the better option behind a shaky defense because he fills the net and forces shots to beat him. So he's not "better" - he's just bigger Tirone is abused on clear shots with corners picked easily, he continues to give up soft goals at the worst time (lost in his performance last night was the fact that once again, nearly one minute after UNH tied the game at two he gave it right back...) and scrambles as much as the D in front of him leaving everyone in a prone position.He seemed pretty disciplined last night? The amount of credit he gets on this board for scrambling to make a great save on one side of the net only for it to be tapped in on the other side is astounding...

The proof is there for you to see Chuck - all you have to do is watch the two goalies play and apparently warm up too now, right?. Umile clearly made up his mind up two years ago and hasn't budged despite everything that HS happened since. You're a smarter guy than that though, right?

I'll say it again - Tirone is DiGi. He had a great run once, but all told he is not a starting goalie at this level on many teams... Neither is Clark, unfortunately ... hopefully Tirone's warm-ups improve quickly, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I think it's probably unfair to put too much focus on a single comment in a pretty decent post, so I'll just jump in and say where we agree and where I disagree. I'll let you figure out which was the shocker ...
                      Pretty good post by you too - but if you did ever watch the two warm up or compared them to goalies around college hockey you would be astounded at how easily the team picks corners on Tirone over and over - it is absolutely proof of how much net space he shows to shooters as compared to other goalies. Perhaps that is why some think thy UNH boasts so many of the best shooters in the league...

Clark is better, in large part, yes, simply because of his size and style. It's a huge factor that cannot be ignored...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                        As far as JVR is concerned - as usual you are way out of line to assume he doesn't work his *** off because he didn't score enough for you while he was here at UNH. He will go down as one of the great American forwards of his generation whether he met your expectations or not.

But the reality is he left early - and didn't consult with your fandom first. Which means that he's just another UNH alum you actively root against so you can look smart. How selfish of these kids to make decisions in their own best interests and not ours....
                        Just a couple of clarifications ... no, I don't "actively root against" players who leave UNH (or anywhere else) early. I'm just not as fascinated as others on how these early departures do once they leave. Is that wrong? Is there protocol on what level we should all be following our former players at their next levels? I've always said, we are all entitled to be fans how we see fit individually. I like my UNH players best when they are well-rounded two-way, four year players.

And to paraphrase EJ, I'm pretty sure no one's out there keeping score on the outcome of our message board prognostications for posterity's sake. When I've been wrong, I've admitted it. I think this is a fun place to compare my opinions and theories on what works (and what doesn't) with others who have strong opinions. For example ... among others, 'Watcher was pivotal in talking me off the pro-Umile bandwagon over a year ago. On the other hand, I was immediately harsh on both the captain choice last season and the senior checking first line, and took a lot of heat ... until a lot of folks had their changes of heart. It's give and take, and it feels like you're taking some of this a little too personally, Dan. It's OK though. I'll still take your calls.

Now ... as to your assertion that JvR is "great" in any sense of his career beyond his original draft slot and resulting windfall signing(s) ... I say this is just another example of way too loose use of the word "great". JvR has never been an NHL All-Star, and he capped out as an All-HE Second Team forward as a soph. His biggest honor in the NHL (I believe?) was as NHL Rookie of the Month in 2009? Good/very good at times? Sure. Great? I don't agree.

Let's try this ... pick your favorite NHL team, imagine you are the GM. You are actively interested in trading for JvR at the '17 trade deadline, and Toronto is willing to move him. Who are you going to give up?

I'm offering Toronto a DRW package of Riley Sheahan and either Brendan Smith or a 3rd round pick.

Comment

but if you did ever watch the two warm up or compared them to goalies around college hockey
                          Ah, the crux of the problem. You see, Chuck hardly ever goes to a game. In fact, if he is not wearing his Expos hat I would have no idea how to pick him out of a crowd. Dan, you are so right about the comparison between Tirone and DiGi. A couple of little engines that could until the couldn't anymore. Not to say that Tirone can't have a good game here or there but, in the long slog of the season, Clark gives them a better chance to win because the team, especially the defense, will play with more confidence in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Ah, the crux of the problem. You see, Chuck hardly ever goes to a game. In fact, if he is not wearing his Expos hat I would have no idea how to pick him out of a crowd. Dan, you are so right about the comparison between Tirone and DiGi. A couple of little engines that could until the couldn't anymore. Not to say that Tirone can't have a good game here or there but, in the long slog of the season, Clark gives them a better chance to win because the team, especially the defense, will play with more confidence in front of him.
                            It's funny ... I'll be the first to admit I'm not at games as often as I used to be, or anything approaching where you guys are attendance-wise ... but counting the MBPBEGAM playoffs at Merrimack at the end of last season, I've actually SEEN in person four (4) of the last six (6) UNH games. Including New Brunswick and Bentley, and not including Clarkson, which I saw online.

So again - yeah, I get the point, but it's overstated now as opposed to my (very rare) appearances a few seasons ago when I was busier with my own (non-hockey) coaching activities. I'm not commenting on the DiGi comparison for that very reason.

Oh ... and the Expos hat has been retired. The last few years, I had a Northwestern Huskies cap because the (small) local HS where I coached had the same initial and color scheme, and more recently I'm wearing my own club's hat with logo (Scott can probably verify?). Usually sit behind the goal under the old board, about 3/4's of the way up the stands - you know, right behind the UNH goalies 2 out of 3 periods - and walk around the concourse counter-clockwise in between periods. I'm also not a physically small person (still working on that though ). So there are some hints (for anyone who cares). I mean, it's not like I'm hiding, but I'm also not saying "Look at me!!" either. Like everyone else (I assume?), I'm there to watch a game, not to "build my brand" or any of that stuff the young'uns do. Like I've said ... different strokes for different folks.

---------------

So ... with that little piece of clean-up defense out of the way, what exactly has anyone seen (in a real game) from Clark that tells them definitively that he's better than Tirone? Other than, we're P.O.'ed at Coach (join the club BTW) and we think DT is another example of Coach playing favorites (and I agree that sometimes happens)?

Remember ... I thought Clark got shafted a little in the aftermath of Tirone's arrival, and I've always been open to giving him a chance at being part of a regular rotation OR even taking over the top job. Still am. But he's had chances, and I think you'd have to agree he hasn't made the most of them (BTW I know the injury last season was unlucky). St. Lawrence on Friday is only the most recent example of "opportunity lost" for Clark.

You see, that's my problem. I guess I see two kids who have at different times in their UNH careers had opportunities present themselves to each of them. Clark was the biggest beneficiary when "L'Affaire DeSmith" struck 2+ years ago, and had half the season to make his case as what could have set him up as a 4 year starter. Talk about unprecedented good fortune landing on your doorstep. I think he proved himself to be a capable HE back-up level goalie, and whether you agree with him or not, it forced Coach Umile to go get Tirone a semester (and a full year of eligibility) earlier than planned. He gave Tirone a shot just like the one Clark got in the preceding October, and I don't think you can say Tirone didn't take that opportunity. You can say Borek adjusted the defense, and I'm not saying he didn't ... but if Coach Umile thought mere tweaking of his defense would be enough to boost Clark's performance, I'm guessing he would have left Tirone in juniors according to their original plans.

Tirone clearly struggled last season - especially early on - and again Clark got a chance (and so did emergency GK Regan after Clark's injury). Clark was OK but hardly set the world on fire, and again the door was left open for Tirone, who played better in the second half of last season, but still not up to his Frosh form. The door was left open (again) for Clark to seize the job.

The UNB exhibition saw Clark get a start, and DT finished up. Clark played OK but wasn't really tested, and DT played OK, let up the only goal on a 3-on-1 that wasn't his fault, and got the nod for the Bentley opener, where he opened the door for Clark again. Clark in turn leaves the door open for Tirone, who actually plays well and is an integral part of the win against Clarkson, and has probably earned the next start vs. Colorado College.

So Clark has had at least - AT LEAST - four chances to make his case. And the best one was the one he had in Fall 2014, but for one reason or another, he's never taken his chance.

To me, anyway, it's pretty clear Coach Umile is looking for one of his goalies to step up and be "the man". And while neither has proven themselves (yet) to be a top-half of HE first string goalie, Tirone has done more with his opportunities than Clark has. So far. You folks know I'm not afraid to criticize Coach for a whole range of issues, but *overlooking* Clark is not going to be one of them. At least not until Clark shows me something more than just being big, or for just not being Tirone. JMHO.

Comment

TyK earns Hockey East Player of the Week with his 5 points over the weekend!! Atta boy...

Hockey East ‏@hockey_east 35m
                              35 minutes ago

#HEA Awards: @WarriorHockey POW T. Kelleher

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/reca...p?mclkunh1.o15

ps off the grid for awhile folks, but will be watchin' from afar.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                So ... with that little piece of clean-up defense out of the way, what exactly has anyone seen (in a real game) from Clark that tells them definitively that he's better than Tirone?

But he's had chances, and I think you'd have to agree he hasn't made the most of them (BTW I know the injury last season was unlucky). St. Lawrence on Friday is only the most recent example of "opportunity lost" for Clark.

Clark was OK but hardly set the world on fire, and again the door was left open for Tirone, who played better in the second half of last season, but still not up to his Frosh form. The door was left open (again) for Clark to seize the job.

To me, anyway, it's pretty clear Coach Umile is looking for one of his goalies to step up and be "the man". And while neither has proven themselves (yet) to be a top-half of HE first string goalie, Tirone has done more with his opportunities than Clark has. So far. You folks know I'm not afraid to criticize Coach for a whole range of issues, but *overlooking* Clark is not going to be one of them. At least not until Clark shows me something more than just being big, or for just not being Tirone. JMHO.
                                Well Chuck, you seem to have the ability to overlook a lot of Tirone's faults, as enunciated clearly by Dan. I would add that, first, he does not have a good glove hand. Second, he's small and does himself no favors by not trying to make himself bigger. Because of this he gets beat high a lot. Third, he doesn't move side to side in control. Too often he, not so much wanders, but drifts too far out of the crease, requiring him to scramble back and make (sometimes) the athletic save. And fourth, he is down way too much. No goalie does his team a favor when he is prone on the ice, sometimes face first, while the action is flurrying around him. As for Clark, he is bigger, he is more positional, he has a decent glove hand, and he has a sense of where the puck should be for his dmen to handle it. He is not as athletic as Tirone, but then, he doesn't have to be because he is better positionally.

Your indictment of Clark based on his performance on Friday is night is ludicrous. I watched the first period of the game before switching to the baseball playoffs. UNH had about three minutes of zone time in the period, including when they had a two man advantage PP. In the defensive zone St. Lawrence basically did anything they pleased. Maybe Clark could have saved one of those goals, I don't know. But UNH was not going to win that game based on what I saw. I did not see the Clarkson game but if you are implying that Tirone strapped the team on his back and they came out gangbusters, how come they were down 2-0 in the first? Please don't get me wrong on this. I am not saying that, if Clark started all the games that somehow UNH would be contending for the HE title. But if Umile is looking for either of these guys to be the chosen one, he is barking up the wrong tree. My bottom line is that neither of these goalies should be the anointed one. It bothers me no end that Umile is attempting to do this, especially since there were a few years (1999 and 2002 come to mind) where more accomplished goalies than these two split time equally right into the playoffs.

And, btw, they miss Lassonde big time when it comes to goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X